this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Brock, Carol
September 15, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 16 - God is here among us
STJ 58 - Who has known the mind of Jesus
STJ 65 - Let justice flow like streams
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 507 - Gracious spirit swell in me
Scripture Reading: Psalm 15, Matthew 5:33-37 (Page 573, 1012) ~ Zach
Meditation: “Discipleship and Truth-telling” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 548 - Teach my thy truth
- Adult Sunday School Class: Our adult Sunday School class resumed this morning, Sept. 15, at 9:30 AM. We
will begin with a six-week series from Herald Press called "Upside Down Living: Technology." The Upside Down
Living series emphasizes living out one's Christian faith through the lens of Jesus by following values that seem
so counter-cultural they appear to be upside down. All youth and adults are welcome!
- Elders Meeting: Tuesday (17th) at 6 pm.
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (18th) at 7 pm at the church.
- You are invited to a baby shower for Aaron and Rachel Fairbrother to be held here at the church on
Saturday, October 5th from 1:30-4:00 pm. Aaron and Rachel’s baby daughter is due to arrive on or around
November 10. We will have visiting, games and food. They have a gift registry set up at “Buy Buy Baby” under
their names. If you would like to attend please let Doreen or Joyce know.
- Canadian Mennonite subscriptions: All who attend Holyrood Mennonite Church may receive a subscription
to Canadian Mennonite. The biweekly magazine is delivered in print, by email, or both. Subscriptions are paid
for collectively through our church. To start a new subscription, add digital delivery to an existing print
subscription, or switch to digital-only, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org no
later than September 29.
- Pray for all the students and teachers as they begin the routine of back to school.
- Please continue to pray for health for Helena’s friend Diana.
- Continue to pray for Gertrude and her children.
- Please pray for Ruth G and her sister Betty and their family as they navigate a difficult time of conflict in their
lives. Pray for peace.
- Pray for Thomas and his family, as they mourn the loss of Thomas’ mother.
- Pray for Patrick, as he mourns the loss of his friend Robert. Pray for comfort for family and friends.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, George Varghese.
- Edmonton Climate Vigil: Join us for this family-friendly evening of prayer, mourning, song and community at
6:30pm, September 22 on the Legislature grounds. We will come together during the biggest global week of
climate action in order to show support for the youth-led climate justice march in Edmonton on Sept. 27th.
Details at: edmontonclimatestrike.org
- Camp Valaqua’s annual Fall Work Day is coming up on September 28 at 9am. Join us to get camp ready for
winter! Help take down tipis, pull out docks, split wood, and much more. Lunch and coffee is provided.
- Christian Muslim Dialogue: You are invited to the 7th Annual Christian-Muslim Dialogue, Heart of Hospitality,
to be held on October 26 at 9:30 am at ACCA Centre, 3530, 91 St. in Mill Woods in Edmonton. This is one way
to be witnesses of Jesus' love and break down the kinds of stereotypes and discrimination that Jesus refused to
accept. Hosted by: A Common Word Alberta in conjunction with MCA's North Edmonton Ministry. Register for
$10 tickets at www.acwalberta.ca. Please, direct questions to Donna Entz email@example.com.
- Golf for MCC: A huge Thank You to everyone who supported MCC's golf tournament this past week in Tofield.
Over $112,000 was raised for the work of MCC!
- Grow Hope with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land for $300 in fields
near Carstairs and Fort Saskatchewan and your donation will grow to as much as $2,500 for food assistance
work in the developing world. The farmers will farm the land and forward the proceeds to MCC & CFGB. Learn
more at mccab.ca/grow-hope We have sold 251 of 400 acres available to sponsor. Help us make the
- MCC Conference and AGM: Honouring our Roots -Sept 28 at Dalhousie Church in Calgary. Participate in
engaging and educational sessions, learn about MCC Alberta's impact in the last year, and look back on MCC's
history as we prepare to celebrate MCC's centennial in 2020! Brian Dyck from MCC Canada will share about
MCC’s involvement in refugee sponsorship and highlight current global migration realities. More details and
registration at mccab.ca/mcc-conference
- MCC’s SEED program is accepting applications for the Program in Southern Africa. This is a two-year program
with positions in Zambia and Malawi that will focus on restorative justice & peace club implementation in
schools, prisons, community groups, and in a refugee camp. To read full assignment description and to apply,
- Healthy Ministry Boundaries: Training for Pastors and Congregations is an MCA Equipping Day Event for
Pastors, Congregational Leaders, and Others involved in Church Ministry Programs. The Equipping Day will be
hosted by Trinity Mennonite Church on October 19, 2019, from 9 am to 4 pm. www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca
- Consider a Thansksgiving gift to The Mustard Seed - By making your Thanksgiving donation today, you'll
help fill plates with turkey, mashed potatoes, and all the fixings. For just $3.51, one meal can be served.
NEXT SUNDAY (22nd)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: CJ
- Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Scripture Reader: Edward
- Greeters: Doreen, Helena
- Ushers: Garth, Eunice
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.