this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Patrick Kukanu
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Ben, Dave
March 18, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: I see you, familiar faces, visitors, and guests. What brings you here?
People: We want to see Jesus.
Leader: I see you, all who are here for the first time, and all who have returned. What brings you
People: We want to see Jesus.
Leader: I see you and know that each one of you has been invited by God to this house of worship.
Thank you for coming. Open your eyes and your hearts, for together we are here with Jesus. Praise
Songs: CB 63 - I lift my eyes up
STJ 79 - As I went down to the river
PPT - Be still and know
Offering: STJ 108 - Give thanks for life
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ike
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Dorathy
Share & Prayer
Song: PPT - Ancient words
Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 31:31-34, Hebrews 5:5-10 (Page 828, 1257)
Meditation: “Me & You and New Covenant” ~ Patrick Kukanu
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Beloved Protector and Teacher, we need guidance, and sometimes we remember to ask for it. But
even as we reach for your hand, we rush off in our own direction. We barely listen to the rules we
break. We like to remind ourselves, wherever we are, that you are with us. We forget the proper
response: that to serve you, we must follow you. We put conditions on your love, because we don’t
want to go to the uncomfortable places where we see ourselves in the other. Forgive us. Hold us close
and teach us again to truly live as you love.
Words of Assurance:
Thus says the Lord God, |I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
Song: STJ 97 - The Lord is my light
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promise.
- TODAY! Palestine Learning Tour Presentation: You are invited to listen to Wendy and Gordon Baergen
after the service on March 18 as they tell about their trip to Israel and Palestine. Please bring a bag lunch.
- Easter Lilies: Helena Ball is collecting money for Easter Lilies on March 18 and 25. The Lilies will be $12 each
and any money not spent due to fluctuating prices will be put in the offering. If you would like to purchase a
lily to decorate the church and then take home after Easter, please speak to her today!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (20th) Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (21st) at 7 pm at the church.
- Evangelism Workshop: Rescheduled! HMC will be hosting an evangelism workshop, led by Tim Chesterton,
the minister at St. Margaret’s Anglican Church, on Saturday, March 24, 10-4 PM. There is no cost, and lunch
will be provided. The title of Tim’s workshop is “How to Relax and Enjoy Evangelism.” Everyone is warmly
encouraged to attend, even if the idea of sharing your faith is rather frightening!
- NEXT SUNDAY! HMC AGM: Plan now to attend our church Annual General Meeting, March 25th following the
worship service. Please bring a bag lunch.
- Inter-Mennonite Passion Week Services:
Maundy Thursday, March 29, 7:00pm: An Invitation to Follow. Please join us at First Mennonite Church (3650
– 91 Street NW) for a beautiful service of music, Scripture, Communion and Handwashing.
Good Friday, March 30, 10:30am: What’s so good about Good Friday? Please join us at Lendrum Mennonite
Brethren Church (11210 – 59 Avenue NW) for a meaningful service of many voices in word and song as we
remember with our sisters and brothers the great story of our faith that continues to impact us today.
- Pray for Joyce’s sister, Doris, who has breast cancer.
- Pray for the restructuring process of Mennonite Church Alberta.
- Pray for Grace, as she recovers from malaria.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- Two Good Friday Musical Opportunities: 1 - Good Friday Choir: Rehearsals are Thursday, March 22, 7 pm
at First Mennonite Church and Good Friday, 9:30am at Lendrum MB Church. All are welcome! 2 - Taize style
musical group: In our planning meeting for Good Friday, we thought we needed an all-inclusive musical
activity that could include multiple cultures. Our idea is to bring together some people who could give shape to
some Taize music that is easy to learn, but who would also be open to learning something in another musical
tradition – e.g. Nuer, and Chinese. And hopefully those teaching us songs in their tradition could easily join in
our few Taize songs. Anybody interested in being part of this – singers, instrumentalists, non-singers (!) – this
is your chance to be part of our upcoming service. Please contact Suzanne from First Mennonite Church at
firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to rehearse on March 24 at First Mennonite Church at 11 am. We would
contribute a prelude group of songs, and possibly a postlude.
- Benefit Concert: You are invited to a CPI benefit concert by Excentrica at 7:00 P.M. on April 22 at the
Lendrum Mennonite Church at 11210-59 Ave. Enjoy good music, good fellowship and good food at the reception
to follow the concert while you support the work of CPI in Honduras in promoting land justice for poor
peasants, and education for students whose schools end in Grade 6.
- Blue Quills University Learning Tour (http://www.bluequills.ca/) : Join a field trip to this unique First
Nations university near St. Paul, Alberta. Learn more about the school's history and its commitment to the
integration of Indigenous and modern ways of knowing. Cost is $75 per adult. Participants will meet Saturday,
May 12 at 8:00 a.m. at the Fort Saskatchewan Safeway plaza @ the corner of Highways 15 and 22, bus to the
site, and return about 5:00 p.m. Please contact Jim Shantz with MCC Alberta (email@example.com) with any
questions or to indicate interest in participating.
- SAVE THE DATE for the annual (and fabulous) MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 8-10, 2018 at
the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs, Associate Professor of
Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Registration will open April
1st at mcawomen.ca
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and our partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
NEXT SUNDAY (25th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Dorathy
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Sunday School Teacher: Esther
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Ushers: Brock, Eunice
- Scripture Reader: Helena
- Food Bank (27th) Host(s): Doreen, Diane
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.