this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Dorathy
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Grace, Helena
Ushers: Eunice, Antoinette
July 15, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 648 - Morning has broken
HWB 340 - 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
STJ 19 - I will call upon the Lord
You Are Lord
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School will resume in the fall
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 336 - When peace, like a river
Scripture Reading: Psalm 112, Hebrews 11:8-16 (Page 641, 1262)
Meditation: “Pilgram’s Progress” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 143 - Amazing grace!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (17th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- Please drive slowly in church alleyway: A friendly neighbour expressed his concern that on Sunday
mornings cars that are coming to our church are driving too fast in the alleyway behind the church. His concern
is well-noted, as there are sometimes children playing in the alley. It is probably best to avoid the alley when
coming to church, but if you use it, please drive very slowly in it, no faster than 15km/hr. Thanks.
- NEXT SUNDAY, July 22, a celebration of the Nicolsons’ service with MC Canada Witness in Burkina Faso
will take place during the Sunday morning worship at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Potluck lunch to follow. All
are welcome! Twenty years ago, Lillian (Haas) Nicolson (Bluesky Mennonite Church) was invited to Burkina
Faso to minister in the work of literacy which then grew into Bible translation. Alongside literacy and Bible
translation, she has also been involved in church planting within the community. Norm (North Peace Mennonite
Brethren) has ministered in Burkina Faso since 2007. He taught and assisted people to develop trade skills that
enabled them to better meet the needs of their families, congregations and communities. He also
audio-recorded biblical and other teaching materials to share the gospel with those who have limited literacy
abilities. Norm, Lillian and their children, Kenneth and Nadine, returned to Canada at the end of May.
- Praise that Janis’ condo rented quickly!
- Pray for Aaron and Rachel and their upcoming wedding.
- Pray for health for Helena’s friend Diana.
- Please pray for Godfrey and the church that he is attempting to plant in Hoima, Uganda.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- It's time to move! The Edmonton MCC Thrift Shop move kicks into high gear for the final two weeks of July.
We are completing renovations, packing, moving, and cleaning. If you are available to help wrap things up at
the current location, please contact Edmund Lee at 780-443-4047. If you would like to help with getting the
new space ready, please contact Nadia Schenk at 780-914-7834. Thank you so much for your support!
- On July 31 - Aug 3, Edmonton will host the North American Interfaith Network (NAIN) Conference. Held at
MacEwan University, opening day will include a blanket exercise, keynotes by Marie Wilson (TRC Commissioner)
and her husband Stephen Kakfwi (former Premier of NWT) and will conclude with a mini round dance. Several
workshop slots as well as two tours will focus on Indigenous stories and experiences. Our keynote on
Wednesday is a young female Muslim scholar and several of our workshops will engage us on issues of dialogue
and pilgrimage. General Romeo Dallaire will share about his journey with PTSD on Thursday. MCA's Donna Entz
will co-lead a workshop with Shiraz Kanjion titled A Journey towards understanding the “Other”: the
Christian-Muslim dialogue experience in Edmonton. The event webpage is at: https://nain2018edmonton.ca/
- Camp Valaqua is seeking Kitchen Volunteers. If you are able to help for any of the weeks of summer or
even a portion of a week, please contact us at 403-637-2510 or email email@example.com. A $75 camper
discount is available for parents and grandparents who volunteer.
- Grow Hope North with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land near Fort
Saskatchewan for $300 only 50 acres left. Local farmers will grow your crop and donate the proceeds to MCC
and CFGB. Go to mccab.ca/grow-hope to donate and find out how your $300 donation could mean as much as
$2,500 toward alleviating hunger around the world! Contact Donita Wiebe-Neufeld at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Golf for MCC in Tofield, Sept 8. Support MCC's international and local ministry! More info and registration at
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.5 FTE) Marketing and Communications Coordinator. For
more information contact Iliana at email@example.com. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
- Ride for Refuge with MCC Alberta! Join us on Sept 29, 2018 in a bike ride or walk (Calgary, Edmonton or
anywhere!) and raise funds for MCC's local programs. Visit rideforrefuge.org/charity/mccalberta or contact
Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ride for Uganda. Ryan Wolfe, Calvin Elias and Byron Peters will be cycling 800 km (from Banff, AB to
Pentiction, BC) July 9-13 to raise awareness and support for MCC’s education program with the Ik people of
Uganda. MCC invites you to support their ride. Over $19,000 has been raised! Help reach the goal of $25,000.
NEXT SUNDAY (22nd)
- Speaker: Norm & Lillian Nicholson
- Worship Leader: Werner
- Music Team: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Scripture Reader: Mary
- Greeters: Faye, Ann
- Ushers: Brock, Carol
- Food Bank (24th) Host(s): Doreen, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.