this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Antoinette, Dave
October 20, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 167 - For God so loved us
HWB 50 - Praise the Lord, sing hallelujah
HWB 522 - My Jesus, I love thee
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Share & Prayer
Song: CB 3 - As the Deer
Scripture Reading: Psalm 42, Rev 22:16-17 (Page 592, 1304) ~ Mary
Meditation: “Desiring God” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 433 - Go, my children
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (22nd) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Worship Committee: Tuesday (22nd) at 2:30 pm
- Volunteer Opportunity: Food bank hosts are needed Tuesdays 4-6 pm. You are welcome to sign up on the
bulletin board or contact Diane 780-905-7463 or Doreen 780-461-1274 for more information. Thanks!
- Please help us update our photo wall. Is your photo old? Do you have a different family dynamic? Or would
you just like a new photo so people can recognize you? Please meet Helena outside the Library after church
starting Oct 20. She will try to get you ready so Ron can take the photos. We will get through as many people
as we can in about 30 minutes and then continue the following week until everyone who wants a new photo is
taken care of. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
- Pearl is now in the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital since Tuesday, October 8. She is recovering from
edema and surgery and adjusting to drugs. She is doing quite well, but will probably be there for another two
weeks or so. She has therapy on the weekday mornings and afternoons, so visiting works best on weekends or
evenings and holidays. Thank you so much for your thoughts, prayers, cards, flowers and visits. God Bless.
~The Lauber Family.
- Vision 20/20 Prayer: Phase IV, The final gathering in our Vision 2020 process takes place Nov 1-2 at First
Mennonite in Calgary. This event will bring together what has been distilled from the previous visioning events
and point directions for our future as an MCA family. Register online at mennonitechurch.ab.ca. In preparation
for this event we ask each MCA congregation to spend some time in prayer for the process: Pray for our
relationship with the world around us. The mission and ministry exemplified by Jesus speak into the deep
longings of our time. Christ touches the longing in each of us and yearns to reach out into a hurting world,
offering Healing and Hope. “Look! God’s dwelling is here with humankind….He will wipe away every tear from
their eyes. Death will be no more. There will be no mourning, crying, or pain anymore, for the former things
have passed away.” (Revelations 21:3a, 4)
- PRAYER REQUESTS
- Please pray for comfort for Esther and family, as her niece, Marie, has passed away.
- Please pray for Carol L, as she is not well. Also pray or her brother Lowell as he needs heart surgery.
- Please pray that God would comfort Ruth G and family as they mourn Rollie’s passing.
- Please pray for Dixon’s children.
- Please pray for Pearl as she recovers from her surgery.
- Pray for Zach as he studies in Macedonia.
- Pray for our country as we go to the polls on Monday in our federal election process.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, George Varghese.
- Summerfest - May 22-23, 2020. Summerfest 2020 will be an exciting event which will incorporate the
commemoration of the 100th anniversary of MCC. All who are interested in helping to organize this event are
invited to a kickoff meeting at Holyrood Mennonite Church on October 24 at 7 pm. Call Gordon Baergen
at 780 953-2651 for more information.
- Christian-Muslim Dialogue: You are invited to the 7th Annual Christian-Muslim Dialogue, Heart of Hospitality,
to be held on October 26 at 9:30 am at ACCA Centre, 3530, 91 St. in Mill Woods in Edmonton. This is one way
to be witnesses of Jesus' love and break down the kinds of stereotypes and discrimination that Jesus refused to
accept. Hosted by: A Common Word Alberta in conjunction with MCA's North Edmonton Ministry. Register for
$10 tickets at www.acwalberta.ca. Please, direct questions to Donna Entz email@example.com.
- Travel with MCC Alberta to Haiti. Feb 2020. Explore the deep roots of MCC's development work in Haiti. Meet
Haitian farmers, artisans, and community organizers. Learn more at mccab.ca/travel-mcc-ab or contact Angela
at 403.275.6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta invites you to the Fall Conference: Alternative Service in WWII,
Crisis of Community. Saturday Nov 16, 2019, Registration $20, starts at 12:30 pm Time: 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM,
Q & A and Faspa lunch to follow Place: The Gem of the West Museum, Coaldale, Alberta Featuring: Conrad
Stoesz, Archivist, Mennonite Heritage Centre, Wpg. See poster in the foyer for more information.
- What is the work that Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) does in Canada and the U.S.? How do
homeowners who have survived a disaster get selected? How can volunteers get involved in bringing survivors
home? Come to an information evening for answers and to hear stories about volunteers who served and
homeowners who received assistance. Join us on October 25, from 7-9 pm at the Mennonite Central Committee
Alberta (MCC) office at 210-2946 32 St NE, Calgary. Refreshments will be provided. To register, contact Glen
Kauffman at 780-712-9064 or email@example.com.
- Wanna be in the know? Subscribe The MCA Communiqué, a weekly publication with stories, events, and news
from MCA, MC Canada, and other regional churches. Click "subscribe" at www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca (located
in top left corner).
- Hymn Sing Nights: Experience the new hymnal. We are excited to have Anneli Loepp Thiessen in Alberta to
take part in our MCA Vision 20/20 event, as well as evening events in Calgary and Edmonton to focus on the
Voices Together hymnal project and its music. Evening hymn sings will be held November 2 at Calgary First
Mennonite and on November 3 at Edmonton First Mennonite. Both evenings at 7 pm.
- Ordination: Please offer prayers for Caleb Kowalko, Calgary First Mennonite Church, and MCA as we celebrate
Caleb’s Ordination during the service of worship on Sunday, October 20. Caleb has served as Pastor at Calgary
First since May of 2018. Words of encouragement and support for Caleb and the First Mennonite congregation
can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT SUNDAY (27th)
- Speaker: Donita Wiebe-Neufeld
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Children’s Feature: Helena
- Scripture Reader:
- Greeters: Grace, Ann
- Ushers: Eunice
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.