this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Pearl, Ann
Ushers: Dave, Thomas
December 10, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Awake! The invitation to carry light comes from the voice who cries out for a smooth way
through wild places.
All: O God, your call is uncomfortable. How can we who are weak remove the rough and
(Pause for Silence)
Leader: Quiet our questioning souls.
All: Lead us into your presence so all can see your way.
Leader: Let it be so.
Lighting of Advent Candle
Songs: HWB 297 - Jesus came – the heavens adoring (v 1-4)
HWB 183 - On Jordan’s banks the Baptist’s cry
STJ 100 - Here I am
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Dorathy
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 176 - Comfort, comfort, O my people
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 40:1-11, Mark 1:1-8 (page 754, 1045) ~ Ronky
Meditation: “Let It Be So” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
All: O God of blazing heavens, you come to us gently and tenderly, speaking peace and
comfort into our fear. We long for you, we yearn for your promise of a new heaven and
earth. Yet we confess that though we know how to get busy and prepare for this season, we
do not know how to slow down or wait and make space for your presence. May our ordinary
lives intersect with the power of your Word and the transforming presence of your grace.
Empower us to “let it be so.” (Pause for Silence)
Words of Assurance:
Leader: O God, Emmanuel, in Jesus, the Christ, you have come among us. You have given us life and
we are restored.
Song: HWB 430 - God be with you
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (12th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Friday (15th) at 6 pm.
- Fall Clothes Line: Instead of a “Christmas mitten tree” this year we will be doing a “fall clothes line” in
support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear for Hope
Mission and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large
- You are invited to celebrate with Joyce Baergen as she receives the Canada 150 Volunteer Service Medallion
on Tuesday, December 19th at the Kingsway Legion (Royal Canadian Legion Branch 175) 14339 50 St. from 6 -
- Attention seniors - the MCC Thrift Shop needs donations of furniture and housewares. Often kids of parents
who live in seniors residences don’t want their stuff. If you live in a seniors residence and would be willing to
arrange to put up a poster to advertise for this, please contact Gordon Baergen or Margot Brunn.
- Pray for our church as we continue the selection process for new elders.
- Praise that Helena’s co-worker, Diana, is back at work and seems much better. Please continue to pray for her.
- Pray for the Uganda Mennonite Church, as one of their church shelters was torn down by the government. Pray
for Christians in Africa who are being persecuted for their faith.
- Taize Advent Prayer Service: TODAY at 7 pm Ascension Lutheran Church. (8405 83 St)
- Shadow and Light - a service acknowledging and supporting people who may be experiencing grief and loss at
Christmas instead of joy - Wednesday December 20 at 7 pm at First Mennonite Church (3650 - 91 St)
- Can you fill the gaps? Do you have some time on Tuesdays between now and Christmas? Boxes full of TOYS
need sorting, cleaning and pricing at the MCC Thrift Shop on 34th Avenue. Or, do you have some time on
Monday afternoons between now and Christmas? Saturdays and Mondays are main donation drop-off days.
Please consider being part of a processing team at the MCC Thrift Shop on 34th Avenue. Training is provided.
- Snowcamp is coming! Jr High Snowcamp for grades 7-9 will be on January 12-14 and Sr High Snowcamp for
grades 10-12 will be on February 23-25. Online registration can be found at www.campvalaqua.com Contact
the camp office (403-337-2510 email@example.com) if you have questions.
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337. Printed booklets are also available.
- Christmas at MCC Thrift Shops - Need extra dishes, candles, wrapping paper, cards, decorations, even
roasting pans? Find them at your local MCC Thrift Shop and support MCC!
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 15 -17, 2018 - Students from across Canada will gather in Ottawa to
learn about Palestine and Israel with politicians and civil society advocates. Visit
mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar to register before Jan 19, 2018. Travel subsidies are available - contact
Carol at MCC Alberta for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-275-6935.
- The Mennonite Disaster Service All-Unit Meeting is being hosted by Region 5 (Canada) from February
9-10, 2018 in Winkler, MB. This event is open to all who are interested in the work of MDS. For more
information or to register for the event see our website mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting or call our
Winnipeg office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Consider a year-end gift to Mennonite Church Alberta (MCA). The work and mission of MCA has continued
strongly throughout the year, but is in need of your support to meet this year’s budget. You can donate online
NEXT SUNDAY (17th)
3rd Sunday of Advent
- Speaker: Tim Wiebe-Neufeld
- Worship Leader: Dorathy
- Music Team: Irene, Rabea
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Ushers: Ron, Antoinette
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Sunday School Teacher: Esther
- Food Bank: Tuesday (19th) Host: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.