this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jim Shantz
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Brock, Eunice
August 20, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 648 - Morning has broken
STJ 32 - If you believe and I believe
HWB 143 - Amazing Grace
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Helena
There is no Children’s Sunday School for the summer
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 401 - This Little Light of Mine
Scripture Reading: Luke 10: 23- 37 (page 1086)
Meditation: “Engaging the Neighbor” ~ Jim Shantz
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 405 - Where cross the crowded ways
- Parents and teachers of Sunday School children, please meet Joyce in the library after church on August
27th. Joyce will share about the Sunday School Program for this year and answer any questions you might
- Teachers Needed! Sunday School for the children will resume on September 10th. Three or four more
teachers are needed to teach these children. If you are interested in this ministry, please let Joyce know by
- Please keep the Lauber family in your prayers, as Whilma has gone home to be with Jesus. The funeral for
Whilma Lauber will be on Monday, August 21st at 11 am at Holyrood Mennonite Church. A light lunch will
follow. All are welcome to join us.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (22nd) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- Pastoral Vacation: Please be aware that Pastor Werner will be on holidays from August 13 to September 4.
- Edmonton MCC Thrift Shop needs volunteers! We need sorters, pricers and small appliance testers. We
are also looking for volunteers to pick up used furniture once a week. For more information please call Lorie at
- Please pray for Eunice’s immigration application for her daughter Ruth and grandson David.
- Please pray for Patrick’s cousins and aunt, as his uncle has passed away.
- Pray for traveling mercies for Thomas as he is in Liberia.
- Pray for Richard as his grandfather has passed away.
- Pray for justice for Ann’s brother, Vince.
- Praise God for a successful surgery for Aaron, who is now back at work. Pray for a full recovery.
- Pray God’s comfort for Eunice and her family, as she mourns her husband Thomas.
- Pray for Esther and her family, as her niece in Liberia died.
- Souls: A play by Aksam Alyousef is happening at Fringe Festival in Edmonton. Souls is a play about the
conflict in Palestine. For more details and dates see the poster on the bullet board or visit:
- North Edmonton Ministry: Please buy tickets for the Edmonton Muslim Film Festival called "Mosquers",
September 9 at the Winspear. www.themosquers.com/tickets/
- Golf for MCC in Tofield. Support MCC's work in Food projects. More info and registration at
mccab.ca/golf-tofield. Early bird registration: by Aug 15 for a chance to win a Fitbit! If you would like to give to
MCC, consider sponsoring David Lefever who will be golfing at this tournament.
- The MCC Alberta Board is delighted to welcome Thomas Coldwell to the role of MCC Alberta Executive
Director, effective Nov 2017. Join us in welcoming Thomas to his new role! To learn more:
- The Edmonton MCC Thrift Shop Board will continue receiving applicants interested in the position of Thrift
Shop Manager until September 11th. All interested applicants please apply at
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 30, 2017 - to be hosted at the Springridge Mennonite Church in
Pincher Creek. Guest speaker Alex Awad a Palestinian Christian. Coffee at 9:30 am, meeting to start at 10 am.
- Peace Bursary: MCC Alberta is now accepting applications for the annual Peace Bursary. Five bursaries ($300
each) are available for post-secondary students interested in peacebuilding. Visit mccab.ca/peace-bursary to
apply online! Deadline: Aug. 25
- For those interested in watching the full funeral service for Dan Jack:
- Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) receiving financial donations for forest fires in British Columbia. People in
BC have already lost houses to the fires and we are planning for MDS volunteers to help in the recovery phase
of this disaster. For further updates on the MDS response and financial donations go to
https://mds.mennonite.net/ or call the MDS office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Special Delegate Assembly 2017 (Oct. 13-15, Wpg.): Discernment Documents are now available at
www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. These documents share important background and proposals for the
re-organization of our Five Area Churches and MC Canada. Register for Special Assembly by September 8 and
save $$. Register online at http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
- Celebrate the 10 Teams that have already registered for Ride for Refuge Team on Saturday, Sept. 30!
Become a team captain and encourage the ministry of Witness workers who live far from home and familes as
they serve the church through International Minsitry. Register at
https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or
NEXT SUNDAY (27th)
- Speaker: Paul Bergen
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Scripture Reader:
- Sound: Brian
- Ushers: Garth, Thomas
- Greeters: Faye
- Food Bank: Tuesday (29th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.