this week's bulletin
|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Mezgebu Tucho
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Dave, Ben
August 19, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joanne
Sunday School will resume in the fall
Share & Prayer
Words of appreciation for MVS service — Brian
Words from Rabea and Tabea
Prayer of blessing — Pastor Werner
Scripture Reading: James 4:1-12 (Page 1268)
Meditation: “How to End Conflict” ~ Mezgebu Tucho
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
- Food Bank: Tuesday (21st ) Hosts: Ben, Pearl
- Church in the Park: Next Sunday (26) we will be joining with First Church of God to enjoy a worship service in
Holyrood Park. Please bring your own lawn chair and a snack to share following the service. In case of rain, we
will meet together at First Church of God (9224 - 82 St)
- Thank you to everyone who contributed to Werner and Joanne's support for their short term ministry to
Ethiopia. Our congregation raised $5720!
- Our brother in Christ, Paul White, passed away on Aug. 2. The funeral will be held on Saturday, August 25,
at 1 pm at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Reception to follow downstairs.
- Coffee and Conversation - hear Werner and Joanne De Jong speak on the topic of “The power of keeping
peace central to the Gospel in Liberia, Ethiopia and the larger Christian church” on Tuesday, August 21 at 10:00
at Lendrum (11210-59 Ave). All are welcome!
- Canadian Mennonite digital delivery: As a Canadian Mennonite subscriber you can receive the latest issue
of the magazine by e-mail on the day it is printed; up to two weeks before the paper mail will arrive. To add
digital delivery to your subscription, or to switch to digital-only, please email email@example.com
and include your name, address and subscription number (see your mailing label; it begins with an A).
- Please pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she goes through testing.
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they prepare for their time away.
- Our brother in Christ, Paul White, passed away on Aug. 2. Please keep Paul’s family and friends in your prayers.
- Pray for the father of Eunice’s niece, as she passed away suddenly.
- Please pray for Mennonite Church Uganda as it is currently in the process of building and raising funds for a new
worship centre which will eventually become its headquarters.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ.
- Golf for MCC in Tofield, Sept 8. Support MCC's international and local ministry! More info and registration at
- Edmonton Thrift Shop is looking for members to join the Operations Council. Looking for members with
experience in retail, communications, or board governance. Terms are for three years. For more info contact
Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ride for Refuge with MCC Alberta! Join us on Sept 29, 2018 in a bike ride or walk (Calgary, Edmonton or
anywhere!) and raise funds for MCC's local programs. Visit rideforrefuge.org/charity/mccalberta or contact
Angela at email@example.com
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 29, 2018 - at First Mennonite Church in Edmonton. More details
- Springridge Mennonite Church invites applications for a part-time pastor to start at the beginning of 2019.
We are a rural, multi-generational congregation of approximately 45 , located near Pincher Creek AB. We seek a
committed to Anabaptist theology, to lead our congregation as we grow as followers of Jesus. This person will
have strength in preaching and teaching, although our congregation is flexible to individual gifts. Check for
updates: https://sites.google.com/site/springridgemennonitechurch/home Inquiries, resumes and letters of
interest may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vision 20/20: Faith (Re)Focused - MCA is currently in Phase I: Listening Exercise. A June 14 meeting with
Betty Pries (Credence & Co) and the reference group initiated this phase. In early September, a survey will be
sent to MCA congregational leaders and pastors, which will conclude Phase I. Phase II: Opening to God's
Leading is a weekend event to be held November 16 and 17. The reference group members include: Tim
Wiebe-Neufeld (MCA Exec Min, Edm First), Kate Janzen (Foothills), Debbie Baergen (Edm First), Paul Neufeldt
(Lethbridge), June Miller (MCA Comm., Foothills), and Tracey Brown-Ewert (Bergthal). More details can be
found at www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca/events/vision-2020
- RJC REGISTRATION DAY, Monday, September 3, 2018: Applications are still being accepted for the
2018-2019 school year at Rosthern Junior College. Please contact Crystal Lau in Admissions (306 232-4222 or
email@example.com) if you would like more information. Registration & Move-In Day is Monday, September
3, 1:00-5:00 pm for all students. Classes begin Tuesday, September 4.
NEXT SUNDAY (26th)
Church in the Park
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: First Church of God
- Music Team: First Church of God
- Scripture Reader: Helena C
- Greeters: Grace, Helena
- Ushers: Brock, Eunice
- Food Bank (28th) Host(s): Ben, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.