|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Patrick Kukanu
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Antoinette, Roland
September 9, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: Yahweh I Zuo
Great Things He Has Done
You Are Great
Cluster Group Prayer: Helena Ball
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Diane
Sunday School will resume in the fall
Share & Prayer
Song: What Shall I Render to You Oh God!
Scripture Reading: James 2:1-13 (Page 1267) ~ Arnold, Bokolo
Meditation: “In Christ There is No Favouritism” ~ Patrick Kukanu
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: The Lord Will Bless Someone Today
- The adult Sunday School class will resume next Sunday Sept. 16 at 9:30 AM. Ike Glick will be leading a
series titled “Peace by Peace.” All are welcome, including first time attenders!
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (11th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (11th ) Hosts: Diane, Doreen
- Communion: Next Sunday (16th) we will celebrate Communion together. Please take time this week to
prepare your heart.
- A HUGE THANK YOU to Margot Brunn, Teri Buttrey and Carol Lint for cleaning the EMVS on Sat. Aug. 25th.
- A BIG WELCOME to our 3 new VSers, Leander, Milena and Birta, as well as to our IVEPer, Ian.
- Thank you to everyone who contributed to Werner and Joanne's support for their short term ministry to
Ethiopia. Our NEW congregational total raised is $6020!
- Please be aware that Werner and Joanne have cancelled their home telephone until they return from Ethiopia
- Seeking HMCers to support MVS and IVEP volunteers: This September, we're welcoming into the MVS
house three MVS volunteers from Germany and one International Volunteer Exchange Program (IVEP) volunteer
from China. Please contact Brian Ladd (firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person) if you'd be open to serving as a host
family, couple, or individual for one of the volunteers. Basically, this means connecting with the volunteer at
least once per month for an outing or meal, and offering friendship and support during the volunteer's year of
- Pray for all of our students and teachers as they enter into a new school year.
- Please pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she has begun chemo therapy for the diagnosed Non-Hodgkin's
- Pray for Gertrude as she struggles with her daughter’s passing.
- Please pray for Emily’s dad as he suffered an aneurism.
- Praise that Sahr’s mother was able to join him here in Edmonton.
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they are away on Sabbatical. Werner will return to the office in early
- Please pray for Mennonite Church Uganda as it is currently in the process of building and raising funds for a new
worship centre which will eventually become its headquarters.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- The annual Christian-Muslim dialogue will be held on October 27, 2018 starting at 10 am. Zaid Al Rawni,
from Burlington, ON is the CEO of Islamic Relief Canada and Dr. John Hartley, from Yale University in New
Haven, CT founded Pathways for Mutual Respect. They will be speaking on the topic of "Experiencing Peace".
Tickets are available through Eventbrite Dialogue October 27.
- Edmonton Thrift Shop is looking for members to join the Operations Council. Looking for members with
experience in retail, communications, or board governance. Terms are for three years. For more info contact
Joyce at email@example.com
- Ride for Refuge with MCC Alberta! Join us on Sept 29, 2018 in a bike ride or walk (Calgary, Edmonton or
anywhere!) and raise funds for MCC's local programs. Visit rideforrefuge.org/charity/mccalberta or contact
Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 29, 2018 - at First Mennonite Church in Edmonton. More details
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ. There will also be an
opportunity to support NEM, financially or otherwise. All are welcome to attend! For more information, see the
insert or please contact Robert Proudfoot (telephone: 780-465-6083; e-mail: email@example.com).
- What's happening in November for MCA? The weekend event on November 16 and 17 (location TBD) will
mark the beginning of Phase Two: Opening to God's Leading and is open to all MCA constituents. Wondering
what will be happening at this said event? Visit www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca for more details.
- Stories, Events, Announcements: Do you have a faith story, church or local event, or announcements to
share with the rest of Mennonite Church Alberta? Send information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MDS is looking for volunteers to serve in BC, to rebuild from the 2017 Wildfires. Please see the bulletin board
for more information.
- SAVE THE DATE: Prairie Youth Gathering 2019 ~ July 28- August 1 (2019)~ Shekinah Summer Camp, SK.
This event is open to youth from across Canada entering grades 6-12 in the 2018-19 school year, and is being
created to nurture, infuse, and expand our life in God and our life together. More information, fun promo videos,
and updates will be available soon at www.prairieyouth.ca, and by following us on Instagram at prairieyouth.ca
NEXT SUNDAY (16th)
- Speaker: Donita Wiebe-Neufeld
- Worship Leader: Jackson
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Scripture Reader: Zipporah
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Ushers: Brock, Carol
- Food Bank (18th) Host(s): Doreen, Diane
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.