|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Faith Nostbakken
Worship Leader: Patrick
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Ann, Grace
Ushers: Brock, Carol
September 30, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 42 - All people that on earth do dwell
HWB 53 - God of the earth, the sky, the sea (vs 1, 2 and 4)
HWB 642 - This is the day that the Lord has made
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 376 - O God, thou faithful God
Scripture Reading: Genesis 18:1-15 (Page 16)
Meditation: "And Sarah laughed." ~ Faith Nostbakken
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 423 - May the Grace of Christ
- Food Bank: Tuesday (2nd ) Hosts: Ben, Pearl
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (3rd) at 7 pm at the church.
- Everyone is invited to Don & Joyce Baergen's residence (14524 - 25 Street) on Saturday October 6th between
1:00 - 4:00 pm to celebrate Joyce's 70th birthday. Cake and snacks will be served.
- Speaking Our Peace: Mon. Oct. 29: 7:00 pm at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Come hear two young adults,
one Israeli and one Palestinian, speak about their experiences growing up in the Middle East. MCC’s “A Cry for
Home” envisions secure homes and a hopeful future for Palestinians and Israelis. Coffee and snacks provided.
- Fall Clothes Line: Once again this year we will be hanging out our “Fall Clothes Line” from September 30 -
October 28 in support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear
and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large sizes.
- News from Werner and Joanne: Werner and Joanne are doing well and enjoying meeting new people.
Werner began his classes on September 24th. Please pray for Werner that he can communicate simply and
clearly the course content since some of the students have limited English. Also, pray for peace in Ethiopia.
There has been some unrest in the capital, Addis Abada. Where Werner and Joanne are, it is peaceful and
calm. Werner and Joanne are keeping us in their thoughts and prayers.
- Do you have a used computer, either desktop or laptop, that works, has an 80 gig hard drive or more, and
at least 50 meg RAM, and you would like to see it have a second lifetime of service in the CPI program in
Honduras? If so, Please contact Dave Hubert (firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-462-6234) or Gordon/Wendy Baergen
- Pray for Bonnie’s son Kerry, who has begun chemotherapy for his recently diagnosed acute leukemia.
- Please continue to remember Dixon and his children in prayer.
- Pray for Theresa, who has moved to Vancouver.
- Please pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she has begun chemotherapy for the diagnosed non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they are away on Sabbatical. Werner will return to the office in early
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- The Mustard Seed: Can you help provide Thanksgiving dinners to all who desperately need them this season?
Each meal you sponsor costs only $3.51 - and truly has the power to change a life. www.theseed.ca
- Buckets of Thanks: There are more than 24,000 families worldwide who are thankful for Relief kits this year.
What are you thankful for? Go to mccbuckets.ca to see how you, your family, office, small group or classroom
can get involved! Contact email@example.com for more info.
- From North Edmonton Ministry: The Shaama Centre hosts the 18th Annual Interfaith Multicultural
Celebration (for Women Only) Theme: Relationship between Religion and Politics, October 12, 2018 at Meridian
Banquet Hall 4820-76 Ave. Interfaith Speakers, Entertainment, Dinner, Bazaar. Early Bird Ticket: $30. After
Sept.25 $35. At the door: $40
- The Mosquers is a Muslim film festival that aims to destroy stereotypes about Muslims, and features a good
comedian. 7 pm October 13, at the Winspear. Tickets at http://www.themosquers.com/tickets/
- The annual Christian-Muslim dialogue will be held on October 27, 2018 starting at 10 am. Zaid Al Rawni,
from Burlington, ON is the CEO of Islamic Relief Canada and Dr. John Hartley, from Yale University in New
Haven, CT founded Pathways for Mutual Respect. They will be speaking on the topic of "Experiencing Peace".
Tickets are available through Eventbrite Dialogue October 27.
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ. There will also be an
opportunity to support NEM, financially or otherwise. All are welcome to attend! For more information, see the
insert or please contact Robert Proudfoot (telephone: 780-465-6083; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- MCA NEWS! Registration is now open for Phase II: Opening to God's Leading. On Nov 16-17, Betty Pries of
Credence & Co. will lead the event at Foothills Mennonite (Calgary). Friday night session: "Prayer, Spirituality,
and the Journey of Faith" and Saturday sessions "Renewed and Transformed Together" are open to everyone.
Register at mennonitechurch.ab.ca.
- MC Canada Communications Survey: Anyone who attends a MCA church is invited to participate in a
10-minute survey. The intent of the survey is to assists with planning MC Canada's communications strategy.
The survey can be found online at mccanada.respondnow.ca. If you would like a printed paper copy, a few are
on the bulletin board, or email the office.
- Executive Minister: MC Canada is currently in the processing of hiring a new Executive Minister. The first
round of candidate interviews are scheduled for the week of October 1 – 5. Your prayerful support for this
discernment process would be deeply appreciated.
NEXT SUNDAY (7th)
- Speaker: Patrick Kukanu
- Worship Leader: CJ
- Music Team: African Team
- Scripture Reader: Edward
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Ushers: Roland, Thomas
- Food Bank (9th): Host(s): Ben, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.