|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Brock, Ron
September 24, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: STJ 17 - Halle, halle, hallelujah!
STJ 19 - I will call upon the Lord (2 times)
HWB 25 - Jesus, stand among us
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Puppets
There is no Sunday School today
Share & Prayer
Song: STJ 49 - Rain down
Meditation: Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 43 - Christ is our cornerstone
- TODAY! Discipleship Circle: All are welcome to Holyrood’s discipleship circle, which will resume meeting
Sunday, Sept. 24, at 7 PM, at the church.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (26th) at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (26th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (26th) at 6:30 pm.
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (27th) at 7 pm at the church. Come and be refreshed!
- Child dedication and potluck: Next Sunday, October 1, we will be having a child dedication for Sahr and
Mary’s daughter, Perpetual. Following the worship service we will celebrate by sharing a potluck together.
- ELDER BOARD NOMINATIONS - Jackson Boakai's and Guenther Toews' 2nd terms (2x3 years) as elders will
end in October, 2017. The Elders Board is accepting nominations for their replacements. Please give this
process your prayerful consideration and be prepared to complete a nomination slip for each replacement by
October 1, 2017. Nomination slips are in your mailbox.
- School Kits: New Procedure - MCC Calgary prefers receiving the school bags without supplies, but donations
included, so that they can buy all the required supplies as specified. Please donate $ with cheques made out to
HMC, re: School Kits, or cash in an envelope, labelled re: School Kits. You will receive a receipt from Holyrood.
Please contribute by Oct. 1. Thank you for supporting this project! Ruth Toews
- Canadian Mennonite subscriptions: All who attend Holyrood Mennonite Church may receive a subscription
to Canadian Mennonite. The biweekly magazine is delivered in print, by email, or both. Subscriptions are paid
for collectively through Mennonite Church Alberta. To start a new subscription, add digital delivery to an
existing print subscription, or switch to digital-only, please add your information to the list on the table in the
foyer or send to Brenda by email firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1.
- Two Friends, Two Faiths - You are invited to join in “A Series of Diverse Discussions of Two Religious
Scholars”, October 25-30. See the bulletin board for details or visit acwalberta.ca
- Please pray for Dixon Tumbay and his children, Venisa, Dixon Jr., Peace and Divine (Joseph) as they grieve the
tragic loss of Eva. She and two others from Solid Rock Church in Edmonton, including the pastor’s wife from
Solid Rock, Gloria Blamo, died in a head on collision on Friday near Lloydminster. Pray for all those impacted
by this tragedy.
- Please pray for Amie’s father, who needs surgery.
- Please pray for Eunice as her sister passed away last week.
- Rev. Dr. Alex Awad, a pastor and scholar with first-hand experience of the conflict between Israel and
Palestine, will be visiting Edmonton on Thursday, September 28. He will be giving a presentation at Lendrum in
the morning at 10am (Sanctuary Basement) entitled: A Palestinian Christian Perspective on the Arab-Israeli
Conflict. In the evening, he will be giving a presentation at King's University at 7pm. Please come and join what
are sure to be engaging and informative conversations.
- Peace Expressions in Islam and Christianity, led by religious scholars Dr. Muhammad Ali Shomali and Dr.
Harry Huebner, with Dr. David Goa as moderator, will be held at First Mennonite Church, Edmonton (3650 – 91
Street NW) on Sunday, October 29 as part of Two Friends, Two Faiths: A series of diverse discussions with two
religious scholars sponsored by A Common Word Alberta. Doors open at 6:30 pm; refreshments will be
provided. You are invited to participate in this spiritual learning and also to contribute financially in support of
Mennonite Church Alberta's North Edmonton Ministry, which is committed to building friendship and
understanding within our diverse communities. For further information, visit A Common Word Alberta
(www.acwalberta.ca) or contact Robert Proudfoot at 780-465-6083 or email@example.com.
- MCC is responding to numerous disasters including the earthquake in Mexico, Hurricane Irma in Cuba and
Haiti, and the monsoon in Nepal, India and Bangladesh. We are working with various partners to provide
emergency food and relief to those affected. Pray for those impacted by these disasters. To donate visit
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 30, 2017 - to be hosted at the Springridge Mennonite Church in
Pincher Creek. Guest speaker Alex Awad, a Palestinian Christian. Coffee at 8:30 am, AGM at 9 am. Everyone
- In Gratitude for 21 years of service – Sun, Oct 22, 3:30pm at MCC Alberta office (210, 2946 – 32 St NE,
Calgary). Please join MCC for an afternoon of appreciation to acknowledge Abe Janzen’s 21 years of service in
the role of Executive Director for MCC Alberta. A short program will begin at 4pm, followed by a light meal.
- MCC's Material Resources program is looking for donations of kit items for approximately 2000 hygiene kits
this year. Are you able to help? Please contact Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How is your congregation adapting to changes in society? Culture shifts are opportunities for congregations
to transform themselves and adjust to new realities. Download the short Covenant New Conversation Starter to
stimulate your thinking: http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017
- Celebrate the record 17 Teams and 85 participants that have registered for Ride for Refuge on Saturday,
Sept. 30! Join a team and/or sponsor a team or participant and support the mission ministry of Witness in
Canada and around the world! Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason
Martin at email@example.com or (226) 747-1833.
NEXT SUNDAY (1st)
Child Dedication and Potluck
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Sunday School Teacher: Dorathy
- Scripture Reader: Ronky
- Ushers: Roland, Thomas
- Greeters: Millie, Ike
- Food Bank: Tuesday (3rd) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.