|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jake Froese
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Faye, Helena
Ushers: Garth, Eunice
September 23, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: STJ 18 - Over my head
C 57 - Step by Step
C 91 - Unity
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Patrick
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 545 - Be Thou my Vision
Scripture Reading: Psalm 1, Mark 9:30-37 (Page 567, 1056) ~ Zach, Ed
Meditation: "Who makes the Grade?" James 3:18 ~ Jake Froese
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 403 - The Church of Christ
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (25th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Worship Committee: Tuesday (25th) at 2:30 pm
- Food Bank: Tuesday (25th ) Hosts: Diane, Doreen
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (25th) at 6:30 pm
- Fall Clothes Line: Once again this year we will be hanging out our “Fall Clothes Line” from September 30 -
October 28 in support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear
and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large sizes.
- News from Werner and Joanne: Werner and Joanne are doing well and enjoying meeting new people.
Werner starts his classes on September 24th. Please pray for Werner that he can communicate simply and
clearly the course content since some of the students have limited English. Also, pray for peace in Ethiopia.
There has been some unrest in the capital, Addis Abada. Where Werner and Joanne are, it is peaceful and
calm. Werner and Joanne are keeping us in their thoughts and prayers.
- October calendar: If you have any events you would like included on the October church calendar, please
email the office by Wednesday evening. Also if you have any news for the bulletin (prayer requests, etc) please
also have them in by Wednesday evening. Thanks!
- Do you have a used computer, either desktop or laptop, that works, has an 80 gig hard drive or more, and
at least 50 meg RAM, and you would like to see it have a second lifetime of service in the CPI program in
Honduras? If so, Please contact Dave Hubert (email@example.com or 780-462-6234) or Gordon/Wendy Baergen
- Please pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she has begun chemo therapy for the diagnosed Non-Hodgkin's
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they are away on Sabbatical. Werner will return to the office in early
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- Edmonton MCC Thrift Shop is having a dedication of it's new location on Fri. Sept 28 at 7 pm. Come for a
tour of the new location 12343 149th Street NW Edmonton. Coffee and snacks to be provided.
- Camp Valaqua Fall Work Day: Help us get camp ready for winter! We'll split wood, clear brush, take down
tipis, and remove docks. Lunch, coffee and snacks are provided. Saturday, September 29 9am - 4pm
www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ride for Refuge with MCC Alberta! Join us on Sept 29, 2018 in a bike ride or walk (Calgary, Edmonton or
anywhere!) and raise funds for MCC's local programs. Visit rideforrefuge.org/charity/mccalberta or contact
Angela at email@example.com
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 29, 2018 - at First Mennonite Church in Edmonton. 8:30 am
coffee; 9 am – noon AGM; ending with lunch at noon. Learn more at mccab.ca/alberta-agm
- A huge Thank You to everyone who supported MCC's golf tournaments this past week in Tofield, Calgary and
La Crete. Over $210,000 was raised for the work of MCC!
- From North Edmonton Ministry: The Shaama Centre hosts the 18th Annual Interfaith Multicultural
Celebration (for Women Only) Theme: Relationship between Religion and Politics, October 12, 2018 at Meridian
Banquet Hall 4820-76 Ave. Interfaith Speakers, Entertainment, Dinner, Bazaar. Early Bird Ticket: $30. After
Sept.25 $35. At the door: $40
- The Mosquers is a Muslim film festival that aims to destroy stereotypes about Muslims, and features a good
comedian. 7 pm October 13, at the Winspear. Tickets at http://www.themosquers.com/tickets/
- The annual Christian-Muslim dialogue will be held on October 27, 2018 starting at 10 am. Zaid Al Rawni,
from Burlington, ON is the CEO of Islamic Relief Canada and Dr. John Hartley, from Yale University in New
Haven, CT founded Pathways for Mutual Respect. They will be speaking on the topic of "Experiencing Peace".
Tickets are available through Eventbrite Dialogue October 27.
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ. There will also be an
opportunity to support NEM, financially or otherwise. All are welcome to attend! For more information, see the
insert or please contact Robert Proudfoot (telephone: 780-465-6083; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- MC Canada Communications Survey: Anyone who attends a MCA church is invited to participate in a
10-minute survey. The intent of the survey is to assists with planning MC Canada's communications strategy.
The survey can be found online at mccanada.respondnow.ca. If you would like a printed paper copy, a few are
on the bulletin board, or email the office.
NEXT SUNDAY (30th)
- Speaker: Faith Nostbakken
- Worship Leader: Patrick
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Scripture Reader:
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Greeters: Ann, Grace
- Ushers: Brock, Carol
- Food Bank (2nd): Host(s): Ben, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.