|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jim Shantz
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Faye, Ann
Ushers: Garth, Thomas
September 2, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 83 - With happy voices singing
HWB 112 - O Lord, our Lord, how majestic
HWB 156 - All things bright and beautiful
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Sunday School will resume in the fall
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 154 - This is my Father's world
Scripture Reading: Psalm 104 (Page 633) ~ Venissa, Dixon, Joyce
Meditation: “This is My Father’s World - God Revealed in Creation”
~ Jim Shantz
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 66 - O worship the King (vs 1 and 3)
- The adult Sunday School class will resume on Sept. 16, 9:30 AM. Ike Glick will be leading a series titled
“Peace by Peace.” All are welcome, including first time attenders!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (4th ) Hosts:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (5th) at 7 pm at the church.
- A HUGE THANK YOU to Margot Brunn, Teri Buttrey and Carol Lint for cleaning the EMVS on Sat. Aug. 25th.
- David Lefever will be golfing in the upcoming MCC Golf Tournament. If you wish to support MCC in this
event, please speak to David today.
- Thank you to everyone who contributed to Werner and Joanne's support for their short term ministry to
Ethiopia. Our NEW congregational total raised is $6020!
- Please be aware that Werner and Joanne have cancelled their home telephone until they return from Ethiopia
- Seeking HMCers to support MVS and IVEP volunteers: This September, we're welcoming into the MVS
house three MVS volunteers from Germany and one International Volunteer Exchange Program (IVEP) volunteer
from China. Please contact Brian Ladd (firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person) if you'd be open to serving as a host
family, couple, or individual for one of the volunteers. Basically, this means connecting with the volunteer at
least once per month for an outing or meal, and offering friendship and support during the volunteer's year of
- Canadian Mennonite digital delivery: As a Canadian Mennonite subscriber you can receive the latest issue
of the magazine by e-mail on the day it is printed; up to two weeks before the paper mail will arrive. To add
digital delivery to your subscription, or to switch to digital-only, please email email@example.com
and include your name, address and subscription number (see your mailing label; it begins with an A).
- Please pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she goes through testing.
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they leave for Ethiopia.
- Our brother in Christ, Paul White, passed away on Aug. 2. Please keep Paul’s family and friends in your prayers.
- Pray for the father of Eunice’s niece, as she passed away suddenly.
- Please pray for Mennonite Church Uganda as it is currently in the process of building and raising funds for a new
worship centre which will eventually become its headquarters.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- Golf for MCC in Tofield, Sept 8. Support MCC's international and local ministry! More info and registration at
mccab.ca/golf-tofield . David Lefever is golfing in this event, so any donations may be given to him directly.
- Edmonton Thrift Shop is looking for members to join the Operations Council. Looking for members with
experience in retail, communications, or board governance. Terms are for three years. For more info contact
Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ride for Refuge with MCC Alberta! Join us on Sept 29, 2018 in a bike ride or walk (Calgary, Edmonton or
anywhere!) and raise funds for MCC's local programs. Visit rideforrefuge.org/charity/mccalberta or contact
Angela at email@example.com
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 29, 2018 - at First Mennonite Church in Edmonton. More details
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ.
- What's happening in November for MCA? The weekend event on November 16 and 17 (location TBD) will
mark the beginning of Phase Two: Opening to God's Leading and is open to all MCA constituents. Wondering
what will be happening at this said event? Visit www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca for more details.
- Stories, Events, Announcements: Do you have a faith story, church or local event, or announcements to
share with the rest of Mennonite Church Alberta? Send information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MDS is looking for volunteers to serve in BC, to rebuild from the 2017 Wildfires. Please see the bulletin board
for more information.
- Henry Paetkau Appointed as Interim Executive Minister: MC Canada is pleased to announce that Henry
Paetkau has agreed to serve as the Interim Executive Minister. Henry will begin his employment on October 16,
2018 and continue until a permanent Executive Minister is in place. Thank you for your ongoing prayers
throughout this process. More info available at www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca.
- SAVE THE DATE: Prairie Youth Gathering 2019 ~ July 28- August 1 (2019)~ Shekinah Summer Camp, SK.
This event is open to youth from across Canada entering grades 6-12 in the 2018-19 school year, and is being
created to nurture, infuse, and expand our life in God and our life together. More information, fun promo videos,
and updates will be available soon at www.prairieyouth.ca, and by following us on Instagram at prairieyouth.ca
NEXT SUNDAY (9th)
- Speaker: Patrick Kukanu
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music Team: African Team
- Scripture Reader: Bokolo
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Ushers: Antoinette, Roland
- Food Bank (11th) Host(s):
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.