|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Sue
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Pearl, Millie
Ushers: Garth, Eunice
September 17, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: PPT - Days of Elijah
PPT - Shout to the Lord
PPT - Jesus paid it all
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Diane
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Hajah
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 398 - I love to tell the story
Scripture Reading: Matthew 28:16-20, Proverbs 2:1-11 (page 1044, 664) ~ Zach
Meditation: “Making Disciples” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: STJ 63 - Lord you give the great commission
- Food Bank: Tuesday (19th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- Elder’s Meeting: Wednesday (20th) at 6 pm.
- ELDER APPOINTMENT - Guenther Toews' 2nd term as elder will end October 2017. The Elder Board is
accepting nominations for his replacement. Please give this process your prayerful consideration and be
prepared to complete a nomination slip by Sept 24, 2017. Nomination slips are in your mailbox.
- School Kits: New Procedure - MCC Calgary prefers receiving the school bags without supplies, but donations
included, so that they can buy all the required supplies as specified. Please donate $ with cheques made out to
HMC, re: School Kits, or cash in an envelope, labelled re: School Kits. You will receive a receipt from Holyrood.
Please contribute by Oct. 1. Thank you for supporting this project! Ruth Toews
- Canadian Mennonite subscriptions: All who attend Holyrood Mennonite Church may receive a subscription
to Canadian Mennonite. The biweekly magazine is delivered in print, by email, or both. Subscriptions are paid
for collectively through Mennonite Church Alberta. To start a new subscription, add digital delivery to an
existing print subscription, or switch to digital-only, please add your information to the list on the table in the
foyer or send to Brenda by email email@example.com by October 1.
- Two Friends, Two Faiths - You are invited to join in “A Series of Diverse Discussions of Two Religious
Scholars”, October 25-30. See the insert for details or visit acwalberta.ca
- Please pray for Eunice as her sister passed away this week.
- Please pray for our friends at the First Church of God, as their church basement flooded and backed up with
sewage last month. They are currently in the midst of clean-up and major renovations.
- A rolling fast for Indigenous Rights began on September 13, 2017 to raise awareness and support for Bill C-262
- legislation that will begin harmonizing Canada’s laws with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of
Indigenous Peoples. Pray for strength for the fasters as they walk with Indigenous peoples in our journey
toward reconciliation. Find out how you can participate at http://pfir.ca/fast-for-indigenous-human-rights/ .
- Rev. Dr. Alex Awad, a pastor and scholar with first-hand experience of the conflict between Israel and
Palestine, will be visiting Edmonton on Thursday, September 28. He will be giving a presentation at Lendrum in
the morning at 10am (Sanctuary Basement) entitled: A Palestinian Christian Perspective on the Arab-Israeli
Conflict. In the evening, he will be giving a presentation at King's University at 7pm. Please come and join what
are sure to be engaging and informative conversations.
- Golf for MCC: A huge Thank You to everyone who supported MCC's golf tournaments this past weekend in
Tofield & Okotoks. Over $178,000 was raised for the work of MCC!
- MCC is providing relief assistance in Nepal, India and Bangladesh after two weeks of severe monsoon rains
displaced more than 1.7 million people and killed 1,246 in the region. We are working with partners to provide
emergency food, water, tarps, mosquito nets and hygiene kits to those affected. MCC welcomes your support
for our relief work in the area. www.mcccanada.ca/south-asia-flood-relief.
- MCC responds to Hurricane Irma damage in Cuba and Haiti: Hurricane Irma destroyed homes in Cuba. In
Haiti, Irma's rain turned into flash floods that rushed into houses and forced families to escape in waist-high
water. Crops, gardens and livestock were destroyed. Your gift helps people in Cuba rebuild and people in Haiti
recover. You can donate online at mcccanada.ca/hurricane-irma or by contacting your local MCC office
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 30, 2017 - to be hosted at the Springridge Mennonite Church in
Pincher Creek. Guest speaker Alex Awad, a Palestinian Christian. Coffee at 8:30 am, AGM at 9 am. Everyone
- In Gratitude for 21 years of service – Sun, Oct 22, 3:30pm at MCC Alberta office (210, 2946 – 32 St NE,
Calgary). Please join MCC for an afternoon of appreciation to acknowledge Abe Janzen’s 21 years of service in
the role of Executive Director for MCC Alberta. A short program will begin at 4pm, followed by a light meal.
- MCC's Material Resources program is looking for donations of kit items for approximately 2000 hygiene kits
this year. Are you able to help? Please contact Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assembly registration deadline today! (Sunday, September 17): Register online for the Special Delegate
Assembly 2017 (Oct. 13-15, Wpg.) at http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017. Discernment Documents
are available at www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. These documents share important background and proposals that
impact congregations, our five Area Churches and MC Canada.
- Celebrate the 17 Teams that have registered for Ride for Refuge Team on Saturday, Sept. 30! Join a team
and/or sponsor a team or participant and support the mission ministry of Witness in Canada and around the
world! Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at
email@example.com or (226) 747-1833.
NEXT SUNDAY (24th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader:
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Sunday School Teacher: No Sunday School
- Scripture Reader:
- Sound: Brian
- Ushers: Brock, Ron
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Food Bank: Tuesday (26th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.