|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Ann, Grace
Ushers: Brock, Antoinette
September 10, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 139 - Far, far away from the loving Father
HWB 367 - For the healing of the nations
HWB 516 - Just as I am, without one plea
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Theresa
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 138 - Let God, who called the world
Scripture Reading: Matthew 18:15-20, Proverbs 3:13-18 (page 1028, 665) ~ Venisa
Meditation: “Risking Reconciliation” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Celebration of Communion
Song: HWB 478 - Sent forth with God’s blessing
- Today is the beginning of a new year of Sunday School. Our teachers are Esther C., Dorathy, Hajah, Theresa,
and Eva. Our prayers go with you as you teach our children.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (12th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (12th) Hosts: Diane; Set up:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (13th) at 7 pm at the church. Come and be refreshed!
- Worship Committee: Thursday (14th) at 5 pm.
- Conference Newspaper Writer: A writer is needed for the Mennonite Conference Newspaper to report
Holyrood Mennonite Church activities and hi-lights. See Millie Glick or Guenther Toews for further details.
- Edmonton MCC Thrift Shop needs volunteers! We need sorters, pricers and small appliance testers. We
are also looking for volunteers to pick up used furniture once a week. For more information please call Lorie at
- Please pray for our friends at the First Church of God, as their church basement flooded and backed up with
sewage last month. They are currently in the midst of clean-up and major renovations.
- Please continue to keep the Lauber family in your prayers, as they mourn the loss of Whilma.
- Please pray for Eunice’s immigration application for her daughter Ruth and grandson David.
- Pray for traveling mercies for Thomas as he is in Liberia.
- Pray for justice for Ann’s brother, Vince.
- Praise God for a successful surgery for Aaron, who is now back at work. Pray for a full recovery.
- Pray God’s comfort for Eunice and her family, as she mourns her husband Thomas.
- The unprecedented flooding in South Texas caused by Hurricane Harvey has impacted millions of lives. Please
pray for the survivors as they return to their communities and rebuild. If you wish to contribute to the disaster
relief please contact Mennonite Disaster Service.
- Pray for peace in our world. Horrific violence is displacing hundreds of thousands in the Congo, with many
Mennonite congregations affected. Pray for the Mennonite leaders in Congo as well as other agencies abroad
that are hard at work planning relief and peace efforts. Pray for the Mennonite congregations there as they
minister. May God’s light speak into hearts of darkness.
- TODAY! Taize Prayer Service: Join Christians of many denominations to pray for peace between North Korea
and the world community on Sunday, September 10, 7 p.m. at First Church of God (9224 82 Street). All are
- On September 27, 2017 The Mustard Seed is hosting “End Poverty Edmonton” at Commonwealth Stadium
Green and Gold Room. The event will start at 1:30 pm and end at 3:00 pm. Councillor Michael Walters will be in
attendance and light snacks/refreshments will be provided. We would love to have you join us! Please RSVP by
September 4, 2017 to Morgan Shott at (780) 233-3008 or email@example.com
- The Edmonton MCC Thrift Shop Board will continue receiving applicants interested in the position of Thrift
Shop Manager until September 11th. All interested applicants please apply at
- HELP DISPLACED PEOPLE IN DR CONGO: Conflict in the Kasai region of the Democratic Republic of the
Congo. Armed conflict has displaced 1.4 million people, including 8,000 Mennonites. Families left behind fields
and animals; food is in short supply and malnutrition is increasing. A collaborative Anabaptist response is
underway. Your gift helps provide food, household items and shelter supplies. Make your donation online at
mcccanada.ca/congo-relief or by phone, 1-888-622-6337; mail cheques to MCC Alberta office.
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 30, 2017 - to be hosted at the Springridge Mennonite Church in
Pincher Creek. Guest speaker Alex Awad, a Palestinian Christian. Coffee at 8:30 am, AGM at 9 am. Everyone
- How is your congregation adapting to changes in society? Culture shifts are opportunities for congregations
to transform themselves and adjust to new realities. Download the short Covenant New Conversation Starter to
stimulate your thinking: http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017
- Chew on This! Join Citizens for Public Justice in Chew on This!, our annual fall anti-poverty campaign. Each
year, on October 17, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, volunteers across Canada hand out
Chew on This! lunch bags containing a food item, a magnet, and a postcard directed to the federal government.
This year, we are focused on making sure the federal government hears the voices of people calling for a
comprehensive national anti-poverty strategy. To organize a Chew on This! event or for more information, go to
dignityforall.ca/chew-on-this or contact Darlene O’Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Celebrate the 14 Teams that have registered for Ride for Refuge Team on Saturday, Sept. 30! Become a team
captain and support the mission ministry of Witness in Canada and around the world! Register at
https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at email@example.com or
NEXT SUNDAY (17th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Sue
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Diane
- Sunday School Teacher: Hajah
- Scripture Reader: Zach
- Sound: Ron
- Ushers: Garth, Eunice
- Greeters: Pearl
- Food Bank: Tuesday (19th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.