|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Stuart Combs
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Faye, Helena
Ushers: Eunice, Antoinette
October 8, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 94 - Come, ye thankful people
HWB 96 - We plow the fields and scatter
STJ 17 - Halle, halle, hallelujah!
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Puppets
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Esther
Share & Prayer
Song: STJ 86 - Taste and See
Meditation: Stuart Combs
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 51 - Let the Whole Creation Cry
- Out of the office: Pastor Werner and Joanne will be away October 5-10 at a wedding in California, and
October 13-15 at the Special Mennonite Church Canada Assembly in Winnipeg.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (10th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. Men and ladies of
all ages are welcome to join us!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (10th) Hosts: Pearl, Ben; Set up: Dave
- Two Friends, Two Faiths - You are invited to join in “A Series of Diverse Discussions of Two Religious
Scholars”, October 25-30. See the bulletin board for details or visit acwalberta.ca
- Please pray for Dixon Tumbay and his children, Venisa, Dixon Jr., Peace and Divine (Joseph) as they grieve the
tragic loss of Eva. Pray also for the other families who are suffering the loss of family members from this
collision. Pray for all those impacted by this tragedy.
- Please pray for Amie’s father, who needs surgery.
- Call to Prayer for MC Canada Special Assembly: Mennonite Church Canada and Area Church leaders are
requesting that all congregations in MC Canada set aside time to pray for the Future Directions: Covenant New
nationwide restructuring process on the Sundays of October 1, as well as October 8 & 15. We invite your
prayers for Calvin Quan as he moderates the Special Assembly, for others who are providing Assembly
leadership or support and for delegates who participate. The special Assembly is an important juncture in our
life together as a denomination. It will shape how we engage together in our common mission. Pray for the
Assembly participants as they discern the wisdom of the Spirit, as we seek to align our church structures with
how God is at work among us and in the wider world.
- Peace Expressions in Islam and Christianity, led by religious scholars Dr. Muhammad Ali Shomali and Dr.
Harry Huebner, with Dr. David Goa as moderator, will be held at First Mennonite Church, Edmonton (3650 – 91
Street NW) on Sunday, October 29 as part of Two Friends, Two Faiths: A series of diverse discussions with two
religious scholars sponsored by A Common Word Alberta. Doors open at 6:30 pm; refreshments will be
provided. You are invited to participate in this spiritual learning and also to contribute financially in support of
MCA’s North Edmonton Ministry, which is committed to building friendship and understanding within our diverse
communities. For further information, visit A Common Word Alberta (www.acwalberta.ca) or contact Robert
Proudfoot at 780-465-6083 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join thousands of Edmontonians who give their time to The Mustard Seed each year! Our current volunteer
opportunities are: * Meal groups to cook and serve dinner at our evening drop-in, * Long-term volunteers for
The Neighbour Centre, Mosaic Centre, and Downtown Church location, * Driver to assist with supply pick-up
and drop-off on Mondays, * Individuals to assist in different roles and positions at our November Gala, *
Individuals to cook and package microwavable meals for our Heat and Eat program. Interested in any of
opportunities listed above? Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mennonite Central Committee is responding to urgent disasters around the world; from earthquakes in
Mexico, to hurricanes in the Caribbean, to flooding in Bangladesh.Pray for those impacted by these disasters. To
donate visit www.mccab.ca
- In Gratitude for 21 years of service – Sun, Oct 22, 3:30pm at MCC Alberta office (210, 2946 – 32 St NE,
Calgary). Please join MCC for an afternoon of appreciation to acknowledge Abe Janzen’s 21 years of service in
the role of Executive Director for MCC Alberta. A short program will begin at 4pm, followed by a light meal.
- Mennonite Central Committee Alberta is inviting applications for a Full time (1.0 FTE) Peace Program
Coordinator. Application deadline is October 19. For more information contact Iliana at email@example.com.
To view full job description and to apply, please visit bit.ly/Peace-Coord
- MCC's Material Resources program is looking for donations of kit items for approximately 2000 hygiene kits
this year. Are you able to help? Please contact Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Although Assembly registration is now officially closed, we are pleased to invite all interested persons across
Canada to view the event live streamed from Winnipeg via
http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017Video If you wish to speak into the Assembly proceedings
remotely, please prepare in advance to do so via your church delegates’ phone/email contact available from
your congregation’s office. A Program Guide is available via
http://futuredirectionsmc.ca/program-guide-now-available/. Live Stream Start Times are Manitoba time, and
may vary slightly:Friday: 6:30 pm, Sat: 8:30 am; Breaks are at 10 am, 12:15 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, Sun: 9 am
- Holding On and Letting Go: A Hopeful Lament is the theme for the latest Church Matters podcast. Willard
Metzger, Executive Director of Mennonite Church Canada, shares what’s on his mind and heart for the future of
the church. Listen to the interview www.commonword.ca/go/1331
NEXT SUNDAY (15th)
- Speaker: Thomas Bumbeh
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: Irene
- Children’s Feature: Helena
- Sunday School Teacher: Theresa
- Scripture Reader:
- Ushers: Ron, Dave
- Greeters: Grace, Millie
- Food Bank: Tuesday (17th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.