|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Patrick Kukanu
Worship Leader: CJ
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Roland, Thomas
October 7, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: What Shall I Say to the Lord
Praising the Lord Always
What Shall I Render to You Oh! God?
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Share & Prayer
Songs: What a Mighty God We Serve
You Alone will Be My God
Scripture Reading: Psalm 8, Hebrews 2:5-12 (Page 570, 1255) ~ Edward, CJ
Meditation: "The Excellence and the Goodness of God" ~ Patrick Kukanu
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Songs: What Shall I Render to my God? (for all His goodness to me)
Thank you My Lord
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (9th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (9th ) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
- Taize Prayer: Next Sunday (14th) Holyrood Mennonite will host the Taize Prayer Service at 7 pm. Plan to join
us, and please bring finger foods to share following the service.
- Speaking Our Peace: Mon. Oct. 29: 7:00 pm at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Come hear two young adults,
one Israeli and one Palestinian, speak about their experiences growing up in the Middle East. MCC’s “A Cry for
Home” envisions secure homes and a hopeful future for Palestinians and Israelis. Coffee and snacks provided.
- Fall Clothes Line: Once again this year we will be hanging out our “Fall Clothes Line” from September 30 -
October 28 in support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear
and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large sizes.
- Canadian Mennonite subscriptions: All who attend Holyrood Mennonite Church may receive a subscription
to Canadian Mennonite. The biweekly magazine is delivered in print, by email, or both. Subscriptions are paid
for collectively through the church. To start a new subscription, add digital delivery to an existing print
subscription, or switch to digital-only, please contact the office, or sign up on the form in the foyer. We will
submit our congregation’s subscription list by October 24, 2018.
- News from Werner and Joanne: Werner and Joanne are doing well and enjoying meeting new people. Please
pray for Werner that he can communicate simply and clearly the course content since some of the students
have limited English. Also, pray for peace in Ethiopia. There has been some unrest in the capital, Addis Abada.
Where Werner and Joanne are, it is peaceful and calm. Werner and Joanne are keeping us in their thoughts and
- Do you have a used computer, either desktop or laptop, that works, has an 80 gig hard drive or more, and at
least 50 meg RAM, and you would like to see it have a second lifetime of service in the CPI program in
Honduras? If so, Please contact Gordon/Wendy Baergen (email@example.com or780-467-6559).
- Praise for the healing progress for Emily’s dad.
- Pray for Bonnie’s son Kerry: he has completed his chemo for acute leukemia.
- Please continue to remember Dixon and his children in prayer.
- Pray for Theresa, who has moved to Vancouver.
- Please pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she has begun chemotherapy for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they are away on Sabbatical. Werner will return to the office in early
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- From North Edmonton Ministry: The Shaama Centre hosts the 18th Annual Interfaith Multicultural
Celebration (for Women Only) Theme: Relationship between Religion and Politics, October 12, 2018 at Meridian
Banquet Hall 4820-76 Ave. Interfaith Speakers, Entertainment, Dinner, Bazaar. Early Bird: $30. After Sept.25
$35. At the door: $40
- The Mosquers is a Muslim film festival that aims to destroy stereotypes about Muslims, and features a good
comedian. 7 pm October 13, at the Winspear. Tickets at http://www.themosquers.com/tickets/
- The annual Christian-Muslim dialogue will be held on October 27, 2018 starting at 10 am. Zaid Al Rawni,
from Burlington, ON is the CEO of Islamic Relief Canada and Dr. John Hartley, from Yale University in New
Haven, CT founded Pathways for Mutual Respect. They will be speaking on the topic of "Experiencing Peace".
Tickets are available through Eventbrite Dialogue October 27.
- First Mennonite Church is excited to be partnering with Theatre of the Beat on their new show, #ChurchToo,
which explores the struggle of wading into the realities of sexual assault and examines the difficulties of
speaking out in a community where the topic of sex is often considered taboo. Mark Tuesday, October 30 at
7:00pm in your calendars! Come on out to First Mennonite Church, 3650 – 91 Street NW, for a performance and
post-show discussion. Admission by donation.
- Buckets of Thanks: There are more than 24,000 families worldwide who are thankful for Relief kits this year.
What are you thankful for? Go to mccbuckets.ca to see how you can get involved! Contact
firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ. There will also be an
opportunity to support NEM, financially or otherwise. All are welcome to attend! For more information, contact
Robert Proudfoot ( 780-465-6083; email@example.com).
- Camp Valaqua is in need of a truck. If anyone has a 4 x 4 to donate, please contact camp.
- MCA Vision2020: Registration is now open for Phase II: Opening to God's Leading. On Nov 16-17, Betty Pries
of Credence & Co. will lead the event at Foothills Mennonite (Calgary). We are eager for all MCA Congregations
to take part. We invite each church to send four or more delegates to attend: pastors, church leaders and
congregants. Register at www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca./events. Helena and Patrick will represent our church at
- MC Canada Communications Survey: Anyone who attends a MCA church is invited to participate in a
10-minute survey. The intent of the survey is to assists with planning MC Canada's communications strategy.
The survey can be found online at mccanada.respondnow.ca. If you would like a printed paper copy, a few are
on the bulletin board, or email the office.
NEXT SUNDAY (14th)
- Speaker: Stewart Combs
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Scripture Reader: Ronky
- Children’s Feature: Ike
- Greeters: Faye, Helena
- Ushers: Eunice, Brock
- Food Bank (16th): Host(s): Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.