|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Ruth
Music: Ruth, Irene, Rabea
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Ron, Dave
October 29, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
L: Come, the banquet of hope and praise is ready.
P: We come on your invitation, seeking to be fed.
L: Feed on the love of God in Jesus Christ
P: We come on your invitation, needing healing.
L: Be healed by God’s gracious mercy
P: We come on your invitation, longing for forgiveness
L: In Jesus’ Name, you are loved, healed and forgiven.
All: Alleluia, Praise be to God. Amen.
Songs: HWB 145 - There's a wideness in God's mercy
HWB 397 - God loves all his many people
STJ 9 - Come, now is the time to worship
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
There will be no children’s Sunday School this morning.
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 544 - When we walk with the Lord
Scripture Reading: Psalm 106:1-10, Matt 22:1-14 (page 635, 1033) ~ Helena
Meditation: “The Wedding Feast” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: STJ 52 - Jesus help us live in peace
- Food Bank: Tuesday (31st) Hosts: Pearl, Ben; Set up:
- Budget Meeting: Sunday, November 26 following the worship service. Please bring a bag lunch and plan now
- What does MC Canada’s restructuring mean for MCA and my Congregation? How might this new way of
“being the church together” enhance our Christian witness across the street and around the world? Join MCA
Area Minister Tim Wiebe-Neufeld and MC Canada Executive Minister Willard Metzger for an opportunity to learn
more and ask questions. Oct 31 at 2 pm at Edmonton First Mennonite Church.
- Remembrance Day Prayer Service and Prayer Walk for Peace: On November 11, 2017, people from
various faith communities will gather to proclaim “love casts out fear” as they remember, reflect, and pray for
peace in our world. There will be an Interdenominational Prayer Service at McDougall United Church (10025 –
101 Street) at 6:00 p.m. Then at 7:00 p.m., participants will gather at City Hall in downtown Edmonton for the
9th Annual Prayer Walk for Peace. There will be four stops on the walk. The time of remembrance, reflection,
and prayer will be led by members of four different faith communities. The prayer service and prayer walk are
sponsored by the Edmonton Ecumenical Peace Network and the Mennonite Central Committee – Alberta. All are
welcome! For more information, please contact Scott Key at (780) 435-1628 or email@example.com.
- Pray for our church as we continue the selection process for new elders.
- Continue to pray for Dixon and his family.
- Please pray for Eunice’s dad as he mourns the burial of his sister.
- Pray for the upcoming Liberian national election.
- Pray for God’s blessing on Helena C and her grade 8 studies.
- Fundraiser for North Edmonton Ministry, TODAY Oct 29 - In coordination with the Christian / Muslim
Dialogue, a fundraiser event for North Edmonton Ministries will be hosted at First Mennonite in Edmonton
Sunday evening October 29. Doors open at 6:30pm. Presentation, Peace Expressions in Islam and Christianity,
begins at 7:00pm. Refreshments provided. Please contact Donna Entz with any questions. 780-250-6456.
- November 4 & 5 at First Mennonite Church: Portable CMU weekend with Gerald Gerbrandt, President Emeritus
& Professor Emeritus of Bible. Who Are “We”? – Mennonites and Anabaptists within a Global Church. A common
discussion among us is whether to use the term “Mennonite” or “Anabaptist” for ourselves. Or even, whether
either term remains helpful or relevant. How do we understand ourselves, and speak of ourselves, within this
tradition? And how might we relate that understanding to our larger identity as Christians? This Portable will
consider who we are, our story and theological emphases, how to understand ourselves in relation to these two
terms, and how we are part of a particular tradition as well as part of the global Church. There will be two
sessions on Saturday, one at 10:30 am and one at 1:00 pm, with lunch served in between. Gerald will also
share in Adult Sunday School (9:30) on November 5th and in Worship (10:45). Please let us know if you plan
- Employment Opportunity: Calgary First Mennonite Church, a multi-generational, hospitable congregation
with approximately 90-100 in attendance for worship is seeking a FULL TIME PASTOR. We welcome candidates
with youthful energy and those committed to Anabaptist theology to become part of our church family.
Applicants should have demonstrated gifts in communication and pastoral care. All inquiries or resumes can be
submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. http://calgaryfirstmennonite.ca/
- Mennonite Central Committee is responding to urgent disasters around the world; from earthquakes in
Mexico, to hurricanes in the Caribbean, to flooding in Bangladesh. Pray for those impacted by these disasters.
To donate visit www.mccab.ca
- On the road to hope and healing. Sun, Nov 12, 2:30pm. MCC Alberta Restorative Justice program celebrates
35 years of hope and healing and volunteer support. Program starts at 3pm, featuring guest speaker Senator
Kim Pate. Everyone welcome! Location - Dalhousie Church (5511 Baroc Rd NW, Calgary)
- MCC Christmas Kit Packing! Ways to get involved... Buy supplies, give money or join the kit packing event.
Nov 18, 1:30pm-4:30pm at the MCC Alberta Office. Reservations required, ages 6+. Details at
- The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has called Canada to adopt and implement the United Nations
Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Bill C-262 is a private member’s bill supported by hundreds of
Indigenous communities, faith groups, and social justice organizations that can help make that happen. Bill
C-262 will be up for debate in late November and we need your help! We are encouraging everyone to write a
postcard to the Minister of Justice Jody Wilson-Raybould alongside your local MP in support of Bill C-262. You
can pick up a free batch of 75 postcards here along with suggested messages and tips for pulling off a postcard
NEXT SUNDAY (5th)
- Speaker: Joanne De Jong
- Worship Leader: Dorathy
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature: Puppets/Joanne
- Sunday School Teacher: Dorathy
- Scripture Reader: Venisa
- Ushers: Garth, Thomas
- Greeters: Helena, Faye
- Food Bank: Tuesday (7th) Hosts:; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.