|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jake Froese
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Antoinette, Dave
October 21, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Scripture Reading: Job 38:1-7, 34-41; Mark 10:35-45 (Page 562, 1058)
Songs: STJ 106 - Just a closer walk with thee
STJ 43 - My faith has found a resting place
HWB 366 - God of grace and God of glory
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Helena C
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 555 - I need thee every hour
Meditation: "Even so. Psalm 91:9-11" ~ Jake Froese
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 307 - Will you let me be your servant
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (23rd) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (23rd ) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
- Speaking Our Peace: Mon. Oct. 29: 7:00 pm at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Come hear two young adults,
one Israeli and one Palestinian, speak about their experiences growing up in the Middle East. MCC’s “A Cry for
Home” envisions secure homes and a hopeful future for Palestinians and Israelis. Coffee and snacks provided.
- Fall Clothes Line: Once again this year we will be hanging out our “Fall Clothes Line” from September 30 -
October 28 in support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear
and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large sizes.
- Pray for Wendy and Gordon as they travel in Honduras for 2 weeks.
- Pray for Lisa as she takes on new challenges and a new job.
- Pray for Bonnie’s son Kerry: he has been discharged from the hospital.
- Please continue to pray for Ruth’s sister Betty. So far so good. 3rd cancer treatment done. 3 more to go.
- Pray for Pastor Werner and Joanne as they are away on Sabbatical. Werner will return to the office in early
January. Please pray for Werner that he can communicate simply and clearly the course content since some of
the students have limited English. Also, pray for peace in Ethiopia. There has been some unrest in the capital,
Addis Abada. Where Werner and Joanne are, it is peaceful and calm.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- The annual Christian-Muslim dialogue will be held on October 27, 2018 starting at 10 am. Zaid Al Rawni,
from Burlington, ON is the CEO of Islamic Relief Canada and Dr. John Hartley, from Yale University in New
Haven, CT founded Pathways for Mutual Respect. They will be speaking on the topic of "Experiencing Peace".
Tickets are available through Eventbrite: Dialogue October 27.
- First Mennonite Church is excited to be partnering with Theatre of the Beat on their new show, #ChurchToo,
which explores the struggle of wading into the realities of sexual assault and examines the difficulties of
speaking out in a community where the topic of sex is often considered taboo. Mark Tuesday, October 30 at
7:00pm in your calendars! Come on out to First Mennonite Church, 3650 – 91 Street NW, for a performance and
post-show discussion. Admission by donation.
- Lendrum's fourth annual craft sale is coming! Join us December 1st from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm (chili lunch
from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm) as we gather together to raise funds and awareness for Youth Unlimited. This
organization helps youth at risk in Edmonton by providing safe places, mentorship, holistic care, and
opportunities to serve others in order to transform the current negative elements they are experiencing in our
culture. Craft purchases will go to the crafters; all other funds raised will go to Youth Unlimited. Interested
crafters can contact Gloria at email@example.com/780-434-4268 for a table.
- Buckets of Thanks: There are more than 24,000 families worldwide who are thankful for Relief kits this year.
What are you thankful for? Go to mccbuckets.ca to see how you can get involved! Contact
firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Among & Beyond: Learning about North Edmonton Ministry. Save the date, Saturday, November 10,
2018, to gather with Edmonton’s Mennonite congregations for a potluck meal and multi-cultural concert at
Lendrum Mennonite Church. The program includes children’s activities on peace between cultures, and a
presentation/discussion by Donna Entz about what it means to be a witness of Christ. There will also be an
opportunity to support NEM, financially or otherwise. All are welcome to attend! For more information, contact
Robert Proudfoot ( 780-465-6083; email@example.com).
- Camp Valaqua is in need of a truck. If anyone has a 4 x 4 to donate, please contact camp.
- MCA Vision2020: Registration is now open for Phase II: Opening to God's Leading. On Nov 16-17, Betty Pries
of Credence & Co. will lead the event at Foothills Mennonite (Calgary). We are eager for all MCA Congregations
to take part. We invite each church to send four or more delegates to attend: pastors, church leaders and
congregants. Register at www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca./events. Helena and Patrick will represent our church at
- MC Canada Communications Survey: Anyone who attends a MCA church is invited to participate in a
10-minute survey. The intent of the survey is to assists with planning MC Canada's communications strategy.
The survey can be found online at mccanada.respondnow.ca. If you would like a printed paper copy, a few are
on the bulletin board, or email the office.
NEXT SUNDAY (28th)
- Speaker: Donnalyn Froese
- Worship Leader: Jackson
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Scripture Reader:
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Greeters: Grace, Ann
- Ushers: Roland, Brock
- Food Bank (30th): Host(s): Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.