|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Thomas Bumbeh
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Irene, Rabea
|Greeters: Grace, Millie
Ushers: Ron, Dave
October 15, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 37 - Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
HWB 143 - Amazing Grace
Ppt - In Christ Alone
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Offering - HWB 6 - Here in this Place
Children’s Feature: Helena
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Theresea
Share & Prayer
Song: Ppt - O Lord Hear my Prayer
Scripture Reading: Roman 13:11-14 (page 1189)
Meditation: “Redeem the Time, for the Days are Evil” ~ Thomas Bumbeh
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 545 - Be Thou my Vision
- Out of the office: Pastor Werner and Joanne are away from the office October 13-15 at the Special Mennonite
Church Canada Assembly in Winnipeg.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (17th) Hosts: Pearl, Ben; Set up:
- Elders Meeting: Tuesday (18th) at 6 pm
- Communion Service: We will be celebrating communion next Sunday (22nd). Please take time to prepare your
heart this week.
- Two Friends, Two Faiths - You are invited to join in “A Series of Diverse Discussions of Two Religious
Scholars”, October 25-30. See the bulletin board for details or visit acwalberta.ca .
- Please pray for Dixon Tumbay and his children, Venisa, Dixon Jr., Peace and Divine (Joseph) as they grieve the
tragic loss of Eva. Pray also for the other families who are suffering the loss of family members from this
collision. Pray for all those impacted by this tragedy.
- Please pray for Amie’s mother and father, Margaret and James.
- Call to Prayer for MC Canada Special Assembly: Mennonite Church Canada and Area Church leaders are
requesting that all congregations in MC Canada set aside time to pray for the Future Directions: Covenant New
nationwide restructuring process on the Sundays of October 1, as well as October 8 & 15. We invite your
prayers for Calvin Quan as he moderates the Special Assembly, for others who are providing Assembly
leadership or support and for delegates who participate. The special Assembly is an important juncture in our
life together as a denomination. It will shape how we engage together in our common mission. Pray for the
Assembly participants as they discern the wisdom of the Spirit, as we seek to align our church structures with
how God is at work among us and in the wider world.
- Taize Prayer Service: Today (15th) at 7 pm at Assumption Church (9040 - 95 Ave)
- Mayra Dominguez, a Mexican woman, operates a small restaurant in southern Mexico near the Guatemala
border, and interacts with migrant women caught in the sex trade. Adrienne Wiebe and Mayra have been
working on an action-research project with these women for four years, and will be presenting at the “Your
Faith on Feminism” conference on the topic of: “Mayra’s Restaurant: Christian faith meets undocumented
migration and the sex trade.” At the LMBC Coffee and Conversation group, Mayra will share her journey of
learning. Please join us on Tuesday, October 24 at 10:00! (11210 - 59 Ave)
- Peace Expressions in Islam and Christianity, led by religious scholars Dr. Muhammad Ali Shomali and Dr.
Harry Huebner, with Dr. David Goa as moderator, will be held at First Mennonite Church, Edmonton (3650 – 91
Street NW) on Sunday, October 29 as part of Two Friends, Two Faiths: A series of diverse discussions with two
religious scholars sponsored by A Common Word Alberta. Doors open at 6:30 pm; refreshments will be
provided. You are invited to participate in this spiritual learning and also to contribute financially in support of
MCA’s North Edmonton Ministry, which is committed to building friendship and understanding within our diverse
communities. For further information, visit A Common Word Alberta (www.acwalberta.ca) or contact Robert
Proudfoot at 780-465-6083 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Let’s talk about Conflicting Loyalties": On November 10-12, Trinity Mennonite Church in Calgary invites
you to participate in sessions featuring Canadian Mennonite University professor Gordon Zerbe. We’ll talk about
patriotism, justice, pacifism, active peacemaking, and how we see God’s calling in all of it. More information on
the bulletin board and website: www.trinity.mennonitechurch.ab.ca ; or call the TMC office at (403) 256-7157.
- Mennonite Central Committee is responding to urgent disasters around the world; from earthquakes in
Mexico, to hurricanes in the Caribbean, to flooding in Bangladesh. Pray for those impacted by these disasters.
To donate visit www.mccab.ca
- In Gratitude for 21 years of service – Sun, Oct 22, 3:30pm at MCC Alberta office (210, 2946 – 32 St NE,
Calgary). Please join MCC for an afternoon of appreciation to acknowledge Abe Janzen’s 21 years of service in
the role of Executive Director for MCC Alberta. A short program will begin at 4pm, followed by a light meal.
- Mennonite Central Committee Alberta is inviting applications for a Full time (1.0 FTE) Peace Program
Coordinator. Application deadline is October 19. For more information contact Iliana at email@example.com.
To view full job description and to apply, please visit bit.ly/Peace-Coord
- Special Assembly 2017 Follow-up: A one issue news sheet, recordings of the streamed video, and other
materials can be found via http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
- Why Change? Check out the conversation points about our Future Directions Process in a new resource shared
by Mennonite Church Alberta as we consider how culture shifts are ministry opportunities:
NEXT SUNDAY (22nd)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: CJ
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Sunday School Teacher: Joyce
- Scripture Reader: Tarnisha
- Ushers: Roland, Brock
- Greeters: Ann, Pearl
- Food Bank: Tuesday (24th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.