|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Millie, Ike
Ushers: Roland, Thomas
October 1, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: STJ 93 - Rifted Rock (Wehrlos und verlsen sehnt sich) vs. 1, 2, and 3
STJ 73 - The Lord lift you up
STJ 29 - You are all we have
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Dorathy
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 327 - Great is Thy faithfulness
Scripture Reading: Psalm 57:1–11, Mark 4:35-41 (page 601, 1049)
Meditation: “A Great Storm Arose” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 328 - O God, our Help in ages past
- Special Prayer Meeting: Thomas Bumbeh is inviting our congregation to a special prayer meeting at his house
tonight at 7 pm, to pray for Dixon Tumbay and his extended family (which includes Thomas’ family, as well as
other Holyrood members). There will be a time of singing, praying, and a word of encouragement from the
Scriptures. Thomas’ address is 15904 49 Street NW. Please note that this also means that the discipleship
circle we had planned will be folded into the prayer meeting.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (3rd) Hosts: Pearl, Ben; Set up:
- Out of the office: Pastor Werner and Joanne will be away October 5-10 at a wedding in California, and
October 13-15 at the Special Mennonite Church Canada Assembly in Winnipeg.
- ELDER BOARD NOMINATIONS - Jackson Boakai's and Guenther Toews' 2nd terms (2x3 years) as elders will
end in October, 2017. The Elders Board is accepting nominations for their replacements. Please give this
process your prayerful consideration and be prepared to complete a nomination slip for each replacement by
October 1, 2017. Nomination slips are in your mailbox.
- School Kits: New Procedure - MCC Calgary prefers receiving the school bags without supplies, but donations
included, so that they can buy all the required supplies as specified. Please donate $ with cheques made out to
HMC, re: School Kits, or cash in an envelope, labelled re: School Kits. You will receive a receipt from Holyrood.
Please contribute by Oct. 1. Thank you for supporting this project! Ruth Toews
- Canadian Mennonite subscriptions: Please sign up today in the foyer if you wish to receive this magazine to
- Two Friends, Two Faiths - You are invited to join in “A Series of Diverse Discussions of Two Religious
Scholars”, October 25-30. See the bulletin board for details or visit acwalberta.ca
- Please pray for Dixon Tumbay and his children, Venisa, Dixon Jr., Peace and Divine (Joseph) as they grieve the
tragic loss of Eva. She and two others from Solid Rock Church in Edmonton, including the pastor’s wife from
Solid Rock, Gloria Blamo, died in a head on collision last Friday near Lloydminster. Pray for all those impacted
by this tragedy.
- Please pray for Amie’s father, who needs surgery.
- Please pray for Eunice as her sister passed away last week.
- Call to Prayer for MC Canada Special Assembly: Mennonite Church Canada and Area Church leaders are
requesting that all congregations in MC Canada set aside time to pray for the Future Directions: Covenant New
nationwide restructuring process on the Sundays of October 1, as well as October 8 & 15. We invite your
prayers for Calvin Quan as he moderates the Special Assembly, for others who are providing Assembly
leadership or support and for delegates who participate. The special Assembly is an important juncture in our
life together as a denomination. It will shape how we engage together in our common mission. Pray for the
Assembly participants as they discern the wisdom of the Spirit, as we seek to align our church structures with
how God is at work among us and in the wider world.
- Peace Expressions in Islam and Christianity, led by religious scholars Dr. Muhammad Ali Shomali and Dr.
Harry Huebner, with Dr. David Goa as moderator, will be held at First Mennonite Church, Edmonton (3650 – 91
Street NW) on Sunday, October 29 as part of Two Friends, Two Faiths: A series of diverse discussions with two
religious scholars sponsored by A Common Word Alberta. Doors open at 6:30 pm; refreshments will be
provided. You are invited to participate in this spiritual learning and also to contribute financially in support of
Mennonite Church Alberta's North Edmonton Ministry, which is committed to building friendship and
understanding within our diverse communities. For further information, visit A Common Word Alberta
(www.acwalberta.ca) or contact Robert Proudfoot at 780-465-6083 or email@example.com.
- Mennonite Central Committee is responding to urgent disasters around the world; from earthquakes in
Mexico, to hurricanes in the Caribbean, to flooding in Bangladesh.Pray for those impacted by these disasters. To
donate visit www.mccab.ca
- In Gratitude for 21 years of service – Sun, Oct 22, 3:30pm at MCC Alberta office (210, 2946 – 32 St NE,
Calgary). Please join MCC for an afternoon of appreciation to acknowledge Abe Janzen’s 21 years of service in
the role of Executive Director for MCC Alberta. A short program will begin at 4pm, followed by a light meal.
- MCC's Material Resources program is looking for donations of kit items for approximately 2000 hygiene kits
this year. Are you able to help? Please contact Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assembly registration is now officially closed. The numbers are strong, with more than 360 people registered,
and numbers well above levels needed for quorum. Thank you!
- Why Change? Check out the conversation points about our Future Directions Process in a new resource shared
by Mennonite Church Alberta as we consider how culture shifts are ministry opportunities:
- Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet
at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507): In light of re-organization proposals that will be discerned
at Special Assembly 2017 (Oct. 13-15), pray that God will provide energy, hope, and a strong sense of God’s
guiding presence for Mennonite Church Canada staff and Witness workers living abroad.
NEXT SUNDAY (8th)
- Speaker: Stuart Combs
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: Irene
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Sunday School Teacher: Esther
- Scripture Reader:
- Ushers: Eunice, Antoinette
- Greeters: Faye, Helena
- Food Bank: Tuesday (10th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.