|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jake Froese
Worship Leader: CJ
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Roland, Antoinette
November 18, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: Glory Be to God in the Highest
My Jesus Promised He Will Never Fail
Receive My Praise, Oh Lord!
You Are Lord
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Diane
Share & Prayer
Song: What Shall I Render to You Oh God!
Scripture Reading: I Samuel 1:4-20, Mark 13:1-8 (Page 280, 1062) ~ Helena, CJ
Meditation: "On Guard, Mark 13:1-8" ~ Jake Froese
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: You are the Lifter of my Hands
- You are invited to join our Sunday School class at 9:30 AM in the basement. For the next months the class
will focus on sermon talk back for the first part of the class and the second part will be spent in prayer. All are
- Food Bank: Tuesday (20th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up: Dave, Guenther
- Elder’s Meeting: Friday (23rd) at 6 pm
- COMMUNION: Next Sunday (25th) we will be celebrating communion together. Please take time this week to
prepare your heart.
- Please have any announcements that you wish to be included in the December calendar by Wednesday
- There is a new sign up sheet for visiting our seniors. If you are able to visit please initial it on the
approximate date. Let’s let our precious senior members know that they are not forgotten and that they are an
important part of our Holyrood family.
- Update from Werner and Joanne: There is a letter available on table in the foyer from Pastor Werner and
Joanne. Please pick one up on your way out, and remember to keep praying for Werner and Joanne as they
are serving in Ethiopia.
- NEM: On Saturday, November 10, 2018, North Edmonton Ministry (NEM) of Mennonite Church Alberta (MCA)
successfully hosted “Among & Beyond” at Lendrum Mennonite Church. This celebration brought together
approximately 65 persons, including 20 children, from various Edmonton-area Mennonite congregations for a
time of fellowship, potluck supper, cultural music, singing, learning, and discussion about witnessing Jesus
Christ to those within and beyond our circles. Approximately $1,500 was donated by participants to further the
work of Donna Entz within NEM. Thank you to all who participated in making “Among & Beyond” an enjoyable
- Our thoughts and prayers go with Patrick Kukanu and family as they remember his mother who passed away in
- Please continue to pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she continues chemo treatments.
- Continue to remember Dixon and his family in prayer.
- Edmonton First Mennonite Church is excited to be meeting with Pastoral Candidate Craig Neufeld this weekend.
Please pray for their congregation, for Craig as he candidates, and for discernment as they listen to and learn
- Remember Werner and Joanne in prayer in their continued interactions with students, mentoring and teaching at
Meserete Kristos College. May the students be inspired by teaching on Anabaptism and encouraged by Werner
and Joanne's commitment to demonstrating God’s love through relationship building. Werner will return to the
office in early January.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta Fall Conference - THIS Saturday, Nov 24. Tim Janzen will be
speaking on the topic of DNA & Genealogy. There will be Faspa/lunch served. $20, register by calling 780-218-7411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org See the bulletin board for the details.
- MCC - Give a kit for Christmas! If you would like to fill a kit for MCC, there is a list on the bulletin board.
- Steve Bell in Concert. Sun. Nov 18, 6pm at the Zion Evangelical Missionary Church in Didsbury. Come hear
Steve Bell and about MCC's Restorative Justice Program. Tickets are $20 and available online at stevebell.com
- Lendrum's fourth annual craft sale is coming! Join us December 1st from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm (chili lunch
from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm) as we gather together to raise funds and awareness for Youth Unlimited. This
organization helps youth at risk in Edmonton by providing safe places, mentorship, holistic care, and
opportunities to serve others in order to transform the current negative elements they are experiencing in our
culture. Craft purchases will go to the crafters; all other funds raised will go to Youth Unlimited. Interested
crafters can contact Gloria at email@example.com/780-434-4268 for a table.
- Te Deum Singers present Deo Gloria! a choral concert of works by JCF Bach, John Rutter, Canadian composer
Dr. Mark Sirett, the well-loved Vivaldi's Gloria and spirituals. Directed by Diana Wiens, accompanied by Donna
Noton and orchestra, your spirit will be lifted as the choir welcomes the Advent and Christmas season. Free
admission with donations gratefully accepted to cover costs. Free parking is available at the lots behind the
church and on street. The concerts take place at Lendrum Mennonite Church (11210 59 Ave) on: Saturday,
December 1 at 7 pm, Sunday, December 2 at 2 pm https://tedeumsingers.ca/
- Shake: Rattled by the Radical - Introducing our electrifying, ground-shaking theme for the all youth (gr.
6-12) gathering, July 28- August 1, 2019, at Shekinah Summer Camp, SK. Grounding ourselves in spiritual
practices and the beauty of Shekinah, we will be invited to draw into deeper relationships with our Creator, and
each other. With no cell service in the Sask River Valley, we will bask in the goodness of being Church together
as we explore how Jesus (the Radical) shakes things up in Scripture, and in our lives today! Follow us on
Instagram @prairieyouth.ca for the latest updates and news, or contact the K&K planners: Kathy Giesbrecht
(MCM), firstname.lastname@example.org; Kirsten Hamm-Epp (MCSK), email@example.com (this was
formerly dubbed "Prairie Youth Gathering")
- Young Adults. It’s never too early to plan for your further education in September of 2019. Do you know that
both Columbia Bible College in Abbotsford and Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg offer full tuition
assistance? Check out the Sheep & Goats MDS Service Scholarship/Bursary at each of the schools’ Financial Aid
page. Application deadline is end of January 2019.
NEXT SUNDAY (25th)
- Speaker: Tim Wiebe-Neufeld
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music Team: Ruth, Eun Jin
- Scripture Reader:
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Greeters: Grace, Ann
- Ushers: Ben, Eunice
- Food Bank (27th): Host(s): Diane, Doreen; Set up: Dave, Guenther
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.