|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Stewart Combs
Worship Leader: CJ
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Doreen, Ann
Ushers: Garth, Brock
May 5, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 310 - How good a thing it is
HWB 352 - Gentle Shepherd, come and lead us
HWB 553 - I am weak and I need thy strength
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 548 - Teach me thy truth
Meditation: Stewart Combs
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 418 - Move in our midst (verses 1 and 4)
- Food Bank: Tuesday (7th) - Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Candy Pin Fundraiser: Next Sunday is Mother’s Day, and our Women’s Group will be once again selling candy
pins. Come prepared to purchase a candy pin and honour your mother, grandmother, auntie or other mother
figure. Funds will be used for our church Building Fund.
- MCA WOMENS' RETREAT OPEN FOR REGISTRATION at www.mcawomen.ca. : Dates: June 7-9, 2019 at the
beautiful Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker will be Irma Fast-Dueck, Associate Professor of
Practical Theology at Canadian Mennonite University (CMU). Theme: The Faces of Mary- companion on the
journey. Saturday night Variety show is a real highlight. Come prepared to laugh, cry and be inspired in your
walk with God. DEADLINE to register is June 3rd.
- From Donna at North Edmonton Ministry: We are looking for volunteers to teach English one morning a
week, now until the end of June. The program starts again in September. Contact Donna or Kim at
- Please pray for Roland, as he recovers from surgery.
- Please pray for Alden Gibson, Sue’s brother in law, who had open heart surgery May 1.
- Please pray for Helena’s co worker, Diana.
- Pray for Alma, as she nears the end of her life.
- Please pray for Godfrey, whose brother was killed. Also he has had a break in at his place.
- Please pray for Theresa, who was deported to Mexico.
- Pray for Florence as she recovers from her hip replacement surgery.
- Pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she continues radiation treatment.
- Pray for Arthur from Uganda to find work and to be granted a work visa.
- Pray for the church in Burkina Faso. On Sunday April 28, a protestant church in Burkina Faso was attacked just
as the service was ending. Six lives were lost. Although violence has escalated dramatically this year against
teachers and others, this was the first targeted attack against Christians. Our friends in the Mennonite Church
are not in imminent danger. They are 600 km from the event.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- Welcoming Refugees and Migrants in our Community, May 5. The Social Justice Institute invites members of
Edmonton area faith communities for a one day workshop. Stories from recent refugees and those working
within local community agencies, with practical suggestions and resources to help faith congregations
accompany and support refugees and migrants. For more information, go to www.newman.edu/sji
- Coffee and Conversation: this week Terry Newborn, Cree Elder from the Alexander First Nation, will be
speaking about his experience of residential school and his life afterward. Tuesday at 10:00 at Lendrum.
- From North Edmonton Ministry: Please accept this invitation to break fast and engage Muslims on either
Fridays or Saturdays during Ramadan starting May 6. You will be hosted in Muslim homes and enjoy this
special meal with a unique group of people. Just search Ramadan-The Green Room to register.
- The MCC Sale, Auction and Handmade Market - May 31 & June 1 at Coaldale Sportsplex. Please consider
what you could donate! Quilts, woodwork, pottery, crafts, tickets for a hockey game, or theatre - all proceeds
support MCC. For more information or to register donated items, please visit mccreliefsale.com
- My Coins Count - Collect your coins for The MCC Sale on May 31 & June 1 at the Coaldale Sportsplex! Funds
collected will support Nepal water projects. Paper money is gladly received too! For more information, please
- Grow Hope with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land for $300 on one
of our four fields (near Carstairs and Fort Saskatchewan) and the donation could grow to as much as $2,500 for
food assistance work in the developing world. The farmers will farm the land and forward the proceeds to MCC &
CFGB. Learn more at mccab.ca/grow-hope
- Christian Faith Studies: Lethbridge Mennonite May 13-15. Biblical Storytelling: the transformative power of
storytelling with Ken Quiring. Evening sessions open to public. To register or for more information -
- Shake: Rattled by the Radical (Grades 6-12) - July 28-August 1, Shekinah Summer Camp, SK. Visit
www.prairieyouth.ca for all the details. For MCA bursary, please contact Chad Miller (email@example.com).
- Tuition Assistance for Post-Secondary Students - MCA offers tuition assistance for any MCA students
attending a post-secondary Mennonite / Anabaptist affiliated institution or program. Please visit
www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca to download an application. Deadline to apply is July 31, 2019.
- Gathering 2019: Registration is now open. June 28 - July 1 in Abbotsford, BC. Join the inspirational gathering
with guest speaker Dr Elaine Heath. At Gathering 2019, Heath will consider how the emergence of new
expressions of church “can open our collective imagination.” Register at ignitegathering2019.ca
- Foothills Mennonite Guest House: Know anyone coming to Calgary for medical treatments and needs a place
to stay? In operation since 2007, the purpose of Foothills Mennonite Guest House is to provide a safe,
comfortable, welcoming place for anyone who has loved ones in the hospital in Calgary. More information is
available on their website: guesthouse.foothillsmennonite.ca
NEXT SUNDAY (12th)
Mother’s Day, Candy Pin Fundraiser
- Speaker: Joanne De Jong
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: African Team
- Scripture Reader: Zipporah
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Greeters: Grace, Millie
- Ushers: Roland, Eunice
- Food Bank (14th): Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set-up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.