|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Thomas, Brock
May 26, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 26 - Holy Spirit, come with power
HWB 121 - Holy God, we praise thy name
HWB 416 - For Christ and the Church
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Puppets
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 311 - The church is one foundation
Scripture Reading: Luke 24:44-53, Eph. 1:15-23 (Page 1107, 1224) ~ Helena
Meditation: “Ascension - Empowered Church” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 288 - Rejoice, the Lord is King!
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (28th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Worship Committee: Tuesday (28th) at 2:30 pm
- Food Bank: Tuesday (28th) - Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (28th) at 6:30 pm
- The MCC Sale, Auction and Handmade Market - THIS COMING WEEKEND! May 31 & June 1 at Coaldale
Sportsplex. Please consider what you could donate! Quilts, woodwork, pottery, crafts, tickets for a hockey
game, or theatre - all proceeds support MCC. For more information or to register donated items, please visit
mccreliefsale.com Don’t forget to bring your coins for “My Coins Count” project, in support of Nepal water
- MCA WOMENS' RETREAT - Dates: June 7-9, 2019 at the beautiful Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake.
Our speaker will be Irma Fast-Dueck, Associate Professor of Practical Theology at Canadian Mennonite
University (CMU). Theme: The Faces of Mary- companion on the journey. Saturday night Variety show is a real
highlight. Come prepared to laugh, cry and be inspired in your walk with God. DEADLINE to register is June 3rd www.mcawomen.ca
- From Donna at North Edmonton Ministry: Al-Quds Day is a Palestine-focused event sponsored by the Shia
community each year during Ramadan. It will feature a photo exhibition that demonstrates the history of
Palestine since 1900s and a Virtual Reality section for people to get a "feel" of what is going on in Gaza
nowadays. When: Saturday, June 1st, 7:00 to 9:00 pm Where: Alberta Legislative Grounds
- Praise that Roland has returned home and is getting stronger.
- Pray for Ruth’s sister Betty. She has finished chemo; please pray that her results will be clear.
- Please pray for Helena’s co worker, Diana.
- Pray for Alma, as she nears the end of her life.
- Please pray for Godfrey, whose brother was killed. Also he has had a break in at his place.
- Pray for Arthur from Uganda to find work and to be granted a work visa.
- Pray for Loren & Donna’s daughter as she is in Africa: for healing for her arm, for help for the people, and for
- Pray for the Chinese Church. Young Christian leaders in China are spending time exploring the meaning of
Anabaptist faith and practice. Pray that this new and exciting approach to discipleship will impact their
congregations and strengthen their faith. Pray also for Chinese church leaders as they face growing political
pressure and increasing restrictions. Pray that they will continue to be salt and light in their communities.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- Coffee & Conversation this Tuesday at 10 am at Lendrum Mennonite - Caroline Gosling, board member of the
Alberta Restorative Justice Association, will speak with us about the theory and the practice of restorative
justice. All are welcome!
- Listen, Worship, Praise, Sing! Sunday, June 2, 6:30pm - First Mennonite Choir enjoys coming together each
Thursday to join our voices in preparation for Sunday, but also to simply enjoy singing together. This year we
welcome you to join us as we present an evening Spring Concert (3650 – 91 St NW). There will be opportunity
for fellowship after the program. Come, relax, listen, sing and visit. It should be well worth it!
- “GAZA CALLS” - Saturday June 8, 10 am - Lendrum Mennonite church will be hosting "Gaza Calls"- a speaker
from Gaza will be transmitted to multiple sites across Canada. The event is organized by Canadian Friends of
Sabeel-an organization that supports the efforts of Christian Palestinians and works with all people in Palestine
and Israel for peace with justice. Please RSVP here:
- You are invited to the CPI BBQ and AGM, at the home of Gordon and Wendy Baergen, 265-52152 Range
Road 225, Sherwood Park, on Sunday, June 9, at 5:00 P.M. If you could bring a food item (salad or dessert)
for the pot luck (meat and fix-ins will be provided), it would be appreciated.... no obligation but please bring a
lawn chair and bug spray. If you need a map, please contact Dave Hubert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MCC Thrift Shop Edmonton is looking for a Volunteer Coordinator: the incumbent would play a key role in
building a strong volunteer base which would encompass support to current volunteers as well as focusing on
building a larger volunteer team. This is a volunteer role, with commitment being 2 days a week for the interim.
For a copy of the position description or for further clarification, please contact Joyce at 403-275-6935 or
- Walk for Common Ground: May 31 - June 14 Journey through Treaty 6 (Edmonton) and Treaty 7 (Calgary),
bringing Indigenous, unionist, and church friends together to nurture Treaty understanding and relationship.
Treaty Conversations: Every night from 7-9 be hosted in the community. Walk for a Day: Starting & ending
locations and times are posted on the website treatytalk.com. For questions or more information please email
Steve Heinrichs at email@example.com.
- “The Age-old Ways of Local Aboriginal Culture – Songs & Stories: Rituals & Reasons”. This is your annual
1-day Heritage Retreat @ Camp Valaqua. Featuring elder Alvin Manitopyes on Wednesday, June 12. You may
have just immersed yourself in the Mennonite culture at the MMC Sale or ladies’ weekend retreat. Delve now
into the culture of our longest-time neighbor, the aboriginal community. ‘Reconciliation is the center of our
work.’ $30/person. Registration 9-10am, incl. Lunch & Snacks, ends at 4 pm. A fundraising event for Camp
Valaqua. EVERYONE WELCOME!
- Gathering 2019 - Early-bird deadline extended to May 27! Go to www.ignitegathering2019.ca/registration and
read the guidelines before clicking on the registration link. Find more information about workshops, schedule,
and excursions at the Gathering website, www.ignitegathering2019.ca.
NEXT SUNDAY (2nd)
- Speaker: Jim Shantz
- Worship Leader: Ed
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Scripture Reader:
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Ushers: Garth, Brock
- Food Bank (4th): Hosts: ?
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.