|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Faye, Ann
Ushers: Garth, Dave
March 4, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: Come rule makers, rule breakers, and you who are still finding your way. Come. Whether you
speak with wise words or with wisecracks, you are made in the image of God. Come into God’s house.
Hear God’s Word. Prepare to meet your Maker and your match. For the foolishness of God is wiser
than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is greater than human strength.
People: Some of us like certainty and structure. Some of us don’t. We come by different
roads, yet we are here together. We want to know God, and to be known by God. We are
here to worship the Lord.
Leader: Jesus said, “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there.” We are here and
Christ Jesus is here. We join our hearts in worship.
Songs: Insert - You Are Worthy
Yahweh I Zuo
I Feel the Presence of God
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Theresa
Share & Prayer
Song: When Jesus Says Yes
Scripture Reading: Exodus 20:1-17, Psalm 19:1-14 (Page 79, 577) ~ Ronky
Meditation: “Me & You & Working it Through” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
God, we call you ruler of all, but sometimes we make excuses. We try to avoid applying your rules to
our actions and interests. At other times, we hold so tightly to rules that we break relationships. It is
easier to imagine that you are like us than it is for us to be like you. We judge ourselves by success;
you judge us by how we treat others. Help us to face our truth. Forgive us when we fail. Give us the
courage to keep trying to live as you love.
Words of Assurance:
The Lord’s rules can be trusted. They make plain people wise.
Song: What a Mighty God We Serve
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promise.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (6th) Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (7th)
- Palestine Learning Tour Presentation: You are invited to listen to Wendy and Gordon Baergen after the
service on March 18 as they tell about their trip to Israel and Palestine. Please bring a bag lunch.
- Pray for Jackson as his brother has died, and the service is to be held on April 9.
- Pray for Guenther’s friend Margaret as she transitions to a care center.
- Please pray for Antoinette Wallace, as her cousin has died in Liberia.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- North Edmonton Ministry: We at Palestine Solidarity Network are hosting a visiting scholar, Ramzy Baroud,
who will speak on "A People's History of Palestine". Monday, March 5 at 7:00 pm, at Edmonton Clinic Health
Academy Rm 1-182 (Corner of 114 Ave & 87 Ave, U of A)
- All women are invited to the Women's Interfaith Symposium at 6 pm, Wednesday March 7 at Baitul Hadi
Mosque, 7005-98 Avenue. This year's theme is "Reformer of the Age". Please RSVP to
email@example.com (from North Edmonton Ministry)
- The Case of the Missing Dessert! A Camp Valaqua Fundraiser in Edmonton, Saturday, March 10th at 5:30pm
at First Mennonite Church. Everyone is invited to join us for a supper mystery event and fundraiser for Camp
Valaqua (free will offering). Our camp cook was hard at work to provide the most decadent dessert for our
camp banquet, but someone has come and stole the cookie from the cookie jar! Help us solve this mystery and
have some fun along the way! RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org by March 7th.
- Registration for the MCA AGM is now open. The assembly is March 16-17 at Lethbridge Mennonite Church.
Please contact Joani Neufeldt with questions email@example.com. Go to www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca to
- SAVE THE DATE for the annual (and fabulous) MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 8-10, 2018 at
the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs, Associate Professor of
Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Registration will open April
1st at mcawomen.ca
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- Uprooted 2018 applications are now online! Apply by March 16. Travel to Mexico this May with other young
adults to learn about migration & peacebuilding. Visit mccab.ca/uprooted for more info & to apply. Questions?
Contact Carol at 403-275-6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and our partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
- MCC Learning Tour to Palestine and Israel – May 27 to June 5, 2018 (dates approximate) – Attend the Christ
at the Checkpoint Conference in Bethlehem, followed by a learning tour of Palestine and Israel. For info,
contact Abe: email@example.com
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.8 FTE) Thrift Shop Coordinator. For more information
contact Iliana at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) 12 week Summer Intern position at the MCC
Calgary office. Application deadline is March 9, 2018. For more information contact Iliana at
email@example.com. To view full job description and to apply, please visit bit.ly/MCC-Intern
- Mennonite Disaster Service has many urgent volunteer needs and several job opportunities. Please pray for
those considering service with MDS and for the volunteers as they travel to and from locations, handle tools,
repair and build homes and bring hope to disaster survivors. Consider being an MDS volunteer! Info on the
bulletin board or visit mds.mennonite.net
NEXT SUNDAY (11th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: CJ
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Scripture Reader: Tarnisha
- Sunday School Teacher: Hajah
- Greeters: Helena, Grace
- Ushers: Antoinette, Roland
- Food Bank (13th) Host(s): Doreen, Diane; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.