|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Dorathy
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Brock, Eunice
March 25, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: Come, people of God, this is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
This is the day Jesus enters Jerusalem.
People: Open the gates of righteousness so that we can enter and give thanks to the Lord.
Leader: The gates are open, come on in. Give thanks, for God is good!
Songs: HWB 43 - Christ is our cornerstone
HWB 259 - Ride on, ride on in majesty
HWB 238 - Hosanna, loud hosanna - with Children Processional
Offering: Sunday School Children
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Esther
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 237 - All glory, laud, and honor
Scripture Reading: Psalm 118:19-29, John 12:12-16 (Page 644, 1126)
Meditation: “Me & You and An Alternative View” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Jesus, Messiah. The crowds around you can be thrilling, or frightening. One moment they are clay in
your hands, ready to be shaped. The next they are squeezing you, like putty in a clenched fist,
demanding that you conform. Is that what we do? When we count the cost of your words for us, it
hurts. We get it, why the masses turned and your disciples faded away. Do you? The time is ripe for
change, then and now. Why can’t you lead that change in a way we understand? How is that you
define success so differently? It scares us to question you. It’s worse if we don’t. Forgive us for
holding in questions so long that we can’t bear the answers. Forgive us for fearing the crowds, and the
consequences. Open our eyes and hearts to receive your teaching. Show us again this new way of
living. Help us to love like you.
Words of Assurance:
Jesus sais, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me.”
Song: HWB 167 - For God so loved us
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promise.
- TODAY! Join us downstairs following the worship service for our Annual General Meeting. Your voice
matters! Please bring a bag lunch.
- Discipleship Circle: Tonight (25th) at 7 pm at the church.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (27th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (27th) Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (27th) at 6:30 pm at the church.
- Inter-Mennonite Passion Week Services:
Maundy Thursday, March 29, 7:00pm: An Invitation to Follow. Please join us at First Mennonite Church (3650
– 91 Street NW) for a beautiful service of music, Scripture, Communion and Handwashing.
Good Friday, March 30, 10:30am: What’s so good about Good Friday? Please join us at Lendrum Mennonite
Brethren Church (11210 – 59 Avenue NW) for a meaningful service of many voices in word and song as we
remember with our sisters and brothers the great story of our faith that continues to impact us today.
- Easter Lilies: Today is the last Sunday that Helena Ball is collecting money for Easter Lilies. The Lilies will be
$12 each and any money not spent due to fluctuating prices will be put in the offering. If you would like to
purchase a lily to decorate the church and then take home on Easter, please speak to her today!
- Communion: We will be celebrating communion next Sunday. Please take some time this week to examine
- Sunday School: There will be no children’s Sunday School next week.
- Pray for Joyce’s sister, Doris, who has breast cancer.
- Pray for the restructuring process of Mennonite Church Alberta.
- Pray for Grace, as she recovers from malaria.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- A wonderful group of Edmontonians got together on Saturday, March 10 to solve The Case of the Missing
Cupcakes... and to raise $5,000 for Valaqua's Bathroom Renovations project! Thanks to everyone who took
part. The cupcakes were delicious!
- UNCHOIR II workshop on Saturday, April 7 from 10:00 to noon, at First Mennonite Church. All singers and
want to be singers are invited to this morning workshop facilitated by Donn Dinsmore. All are welcome - its
FREE! Details are on the bulletin board.
- Benefit Concert: You are invited to a CPI benefit concert by Excentrica at 7:00 P.M. on April 22 at the
Lendrum Mennonite Church at 11210-59 Ave. Enjoy good music, good fellowship and good food at the reception
to follow the concert while you support the work of CPI in Honduras in promoting land justice for poor
peasants, and education for students whose schools end in Grade 6.
- Blue Quills University Learning Tour (http://www.bluequills.ca/) : Join a field trip to this unique First
Nations university near St. Paul, Alberta. Learn more about the school's history and its commitment to the
integration of Indigenous and modern ways of knowing. Cost is $75 per adult. Participants will meet Saturday,
May 12 at 8:00 a.m. at the Fort Saskatchewan Safeway plaza @ the corner of Highways 15 and 22, bus to the
site, and return about 5:00 p.m. Please contact Jim Shantz with MCC Alberta (email@example.com) with any
questions or to indicate interest in participating.
- SAVE THE DATE for the annual (and fabulous) MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 8-10, 2018 at
the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs, Associate Professor of
Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Registration will open April
1st at mcawomen.ca
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- MCC Charity Auction and Sale - June 1 & 2 at Didsbury Memorial Complex. Please consider what you could
donate! Quilts, woodwork, pottery, crafts, tickets for a hockey game, or theatre - all proceeds support
international ministries. For more information or to register donated items, please visit mccreliefsale.com
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and our partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
NEXT SUNDAY (1st)
Easter Sunday, Communion
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Sunday School Teacher: No Sunday School
- Greeters: Grace, Faye
- Ushers: Garth, Brock
- Scripture Reader: Venisa
- Food Bank (3rd) Host(s):
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.