|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Dave, Eunice
March 24, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship: (based on Psalm 63)
Leader: O God, you are our God. We seek you.
People: Our souls thirst for you as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Leader: We have seen you in the sanctuary, and know your power and glory.
People: We will praise you and bless you as long as we live.
All: O God, you satisfy our souls as with a rich feast. In the shadow of your wings, we sing for joy,
and you uphold us.
Placement of Visual Element
Songs: PPT - I will stand in the congregation
CB 3 - As the Deer
CB 42 - My life is in you, Followed by CB 83 - Freely, Freely
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 139 - Far, far away from my loving father
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 55:1-9, Psalm 63:1-8 (Page 774, 604) ~ Zach
Meditation: "God Pours Out Life-Giving Drink" ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Confession and Reconciliation:
Leader: “Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you that have no money, come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is
not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good, and
delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; listen, so that you may live.” Who will listen
to the Lord today?
Designated Response: (designated person in the congregation will stand and respond) I will listen to the Lord
Confessional Response: Matthias
Leader: We are all invited to listen to the Lord today. Let us bring ourselves to God in prayer.
All: God of life, we listen to you, for you alone have the words of life. When we realize that we have
paid too much attention to the voices in our world, we listen to you.
Leader: When we sense the poverty of our souls (pause), we listen to you. When our souls hunger for abundant
life (pause), we listen to you.
All: In the morning and in the evening, we will listen to you.
Leader: Our generous God provides for us.
Song: HWB 389 - Take my life and let it be
- TODAY! HMC AGM: Sunday (24th) after the worship service, please bring a bag lunch downstairs and join us
for our Annual General Meeting. Your voice is important; please join us!
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (26th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (26th) - Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (26th) at 6:30 pm.
- During Holy Week, all are invited to the Inter-Mennonite worship services at Lendrum Mennonite Church
(11210 – 59 Avenue).
~ Maundy Thursday (April 18) at 8pm we will share communion together and then progressively darken the
sanctuary during a service of scripture readings (a Tenebrae service).
~ Good Friday (April 19) we will gather at 10:30 am for a service of song, scripture, and a message from
LMC's Senior Pastor, Paul Cumin.
- Please pray for Joanne as she prepares to go to Liberia in April.
- Pray for Jackson’s uncle Regan who is sick in hospital.
- Pray for Zechariah’s brother back home.
- Pray for Wendy’s parents, as they journey through the final stages of their lives.
- Pray for Zach as he is traveling in Europe, for traveling mercies and protection.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- Come and celebrate, together with other Christians and Muslims in Edmonton, the hopeful and important visit
of Pope Francis to Morocco, a north African country with a strong Islamic faith. We will gather to watch part of
the papal visit together, share food and fellowship, and reflect together on the significance of this timely visit
for Christian-Muslim relations world-wide, wherever we live. It hearkens back to the vital visit 800 years ago of
St. Francis of Assisi with Sultan al-Kamil of Egypt that helped end the 5th Crusade. This free event, organized
by the Catholic Archdiocese and Muslim partners, will be held from 2 pm to 5 pm on Saturday, March 30 at the
Canadian Islamic Centre and Al Rashid Mosque (13070 – 113 Street NW, Edmonton). Please pre-register with
Eventbrite. All are welcome!
- Columbia Bible College Info Night - Where: Lendrum Mennonite Church, When: Wednesday April 3rd
7pm-8pm, Come out for snacks, hot beverages, and an informative presentation and Q&A about Columbia Bible
College. Come and see if Columbia could be the right fit for you!
- Friday, April 12, 7:00pm: The First Mennonite Church Truth and Reconciliation Action Group invites you to
attend a screening of Treaty Talk (www.treatytalk.com) hosted by the producer Patricia Makokis at First
Mennonite (3650 – 91 Street NW). The screening will be followed by a discussion on what it means to be a
non-Indigenous treaty person. Any and all are welcome!
- Grow Hope Launch: Sat. April 6, 2 pm (Lendrum Mennonite Church, 11210 59 Ave NW, Edmonton) When you
join Grow Hope, you can become a farmer by sponsoring an acre of land. Come hear from Pugeni Vurayayi
(MCC Canada) about MCC's conservation agriculture work around the world. Light snacks to be served.
- The MCC Sale, Auction and Handmade Market - May 31 & June 1 at Coaldale Sportsplex. Please consider
what you could donate! Quilts, woodwork, pottery, crafts, tickets for a hockey game, or theatre - all proceeds
support MCC. For more information or to register donated items, please visit mccreliefsale.com
- MCC Alberta Learning Tour to UnBQ Sat May 11, Join us for a day of learning about both the trauma and
restoration at the site of the old Blue Quills Indian Residential school. For information about costs, registration
and logistics please contact Jim at 587-225-5784 (preferably text) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Planting Peace Gathering 2019 is happening April 28 - May 4 at Camp Valaqua! All young adults ages 18-30
are invited to come out for a week of fun and learning about new ways to promote peacebuilding in the
community. Visit mccab.ca/planting-peace for full details and to register. Registration closes March 31!
NEXT SUNDAY (31st)
4th Sunday of Lent
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music Team: African Team
- Scripture Reader: Edward
- Children’s Feature: Diane
- Confession: Don
- Greeters: Grace, Doreen
- Ushers: Garth, Brock
- Food Bank (2nd): Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set-up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.