|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: CJ
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Helena, Grace
Ushers: Antoinette, Roland
March 11, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: Who comes in the name of God? Step into the light and be known.
People: We are coming, through darkness and fear. We come into the light by the power of
Leader: People of God, God has heard your cries and is opening a way for you.
People: We are here, through darkness and fear. We come into the light of this day by the
power of God.
Leader: You are here, and God is here. What will you do?
People: Together we will worship our God.
Songs: HWB 163 - Obey my voice
HWB 371 - Let there be light Lord
STJ 95 - I want to walk as a child of the Light
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Hajah
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 557 - O God, in Restless Living
Scripture Reading: Numbers 21:4-9, John 3:14-21 (Page 162, 1112) ~ Tarnisha
Meditation: “Me & You & Darkness in View” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
God of compassion and consequence, some days it’s hard to face who we are. We like to be in control,
to know where we are going. Relying on someone else, even you, is hard. We get impatient and find
things to criticize. Some of us even like to complain. Glossing over past hardships is easier than
admitting that we needed your help, and still do. We don’t want to see how our attitudes and actions
make things worse. We are sorry. Forgive our ingratitude. Grant us the courage to face the truth.
Words of Assurance:
Then they cried out the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.
Song: HWB 401 - This Little Light of Mine
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promise.
- Discipleship Circle: Tonight, Sunday (11th) at 7 pm at the church.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (13th) Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Worship Committee: Tuesday (13th) at 2:30 pm
- Palestine Learning Tour Presentation: You are invited to listen to Wendy and Gordon Baergen after the
service on March 18 as they tell about their trip to Israel and Palestine. Please bring a bag lunch.
- Evangelism Workshop: Rescheduled! HMC will be hosting an evangelism workshop, led by Tim Chesterton,
the minister at St. Margaret’s Anglican Church, on Saturday, March 24, 10-4 PM. There is no cost, and lunch
will be provided. The title of Tim’s workshop is “How to Relax and Enjoy Evangelism.” Everyone is warmly
encouraged to attend, even if the idea of sharing your faith is rather frightening!
- HMC AGM: Plan now to attend our church Annual General Meeting, March 25th following the worship service.
Please bring a bag lunch.
- Inter-Mennonite Passion Week Services:
Maundy Thursday, March 29, 7:00pm: An Invitation to Follow. Please join us at First Mennonite Church
(3650 – 91 Street NW) for a beautiful service of music, Scripture, Communion and Handwashing.
Good Friday, March 30, 10:30am: What’s so good about Good Friday? Please join us at Lendrum Mennonite
Brethren Church (11210 – 59 Avenue NW) for a meaningful service of many voices in word and song as we
remember with our sisters and brothers the great story of our faith that continues to impact us today.
- Pray for Jackson as his brother has died, and the service is to be held on April 9.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- MCA AGM is March 16-17 at Lethbridge Mennonite Church. Please pray for our church members, leaders and
delegates as they meet together to worship and discern God’s direction. Contact Joani Neufeldt with questions
firstname.lastname@example.org. Go to www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca to register.
- Two Good Friday Musical Opportunities: 1 - Good Friday Choir: Rehearsals are Thursday, March 22, 7 pm
at First Mennonite Church and Good Friday, 9:30am at Lendrum MB Church. All are welcome! 2 - Taize style
musical group: In our planning meeting for Good Friday, we thought we needed an all-inclusive musical
activity that could include multiple cultures. Our idea is to bring together some people who could give shape to
some Taize music that is easy to learn, but who would also be open to learning something in another musical
tradition – e.g. Nuer, and Chinese. And hopefully those teaching us songs in their tradition could easily join in
our few Taize songs. Anybody interested in being part of this – singers, instrumentalists, non-singers (!) – this
is your chance to be part of our upcoming service. Please contact Suzanne from First Mennonite Church at
email@example.com. We would like to rehearse on March 24 at Lendrum at 11:00. We would contribute a
prelude group of songs, and possibly a postlude.
- SAVE THE DATE for the annual (and fabulous) MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 8-10, 2018 at
the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs, Associate Professor of
Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Registration will open April
1st at mcawomen.ca
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- Uprooted 2018 applications are now online! Apply by March 16. Travel to Mexico this May with other young
adults to learn about migration & peacebuilding. Visit mccab.ca/uprooted for more info & to apply. Questions?
Contact Carol at 403-275-6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and our partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
- MCC Learning Tour to Palestine and Israel – May 27 to June 5, 2018 (dates approximate) – Attend the Christ
at the Checkpoint Conference in Bethlehem, followed by a learning tour of Palestine and Israel. For info,
contact Abe: email@example.com
- Mennonite Disaster Service has many urgent volunteer needs and several job opportunities. Please pray for
those considering service with MDS and for the volunteers as they travel to and from locations, handle tools,
repair and build homes and bring hope to disaster survivors. Consider being an MDS volunteer! Info on the
bulletin board or visit mds.mennonite.net
- Bridging Borders Documentary: For a number of months, MCC Saskatchewan has been working on an
exciting documentary project with Wavelength Entertainment. Bridging Borders is an inspirational documentary
series that goes beyond the international headlines to showcase the incredible stories of everyday Canadians
who band together to sponsor Newcomer families fleeing persecution. You can view the first episode at
NEXT SUNDAY (18th)
- Speaker: Patrick Kukanu
- Worship Leader: Jackson
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Ike
- Sunday School Teacher: Dorathy
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Ushers: Ben, Dave
- Food Bank (20th) Host(s): Doreen, Diane
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.