|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Helena, Grace
Ushers: Antoinette, Roland
March 10, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship: (based on Psalms 63 and 91)
Leader: O God, you are our God. We seek you.
People: Our souls thirst for you as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Leader: We trust in the Lord, who is our refuge, who commands his angels to guard us.
People: God delivers and protects us when we are in trouble.
All: O God, you satisfy our souls as with a rich feast. In the shadow of your wings, we sing for joy,
and you uphold us.
Placement of Visual Element
Songs: What Shall I Render to You Oh God?
Praising the Lord Always
Yahweh I Zuo
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Diane
Share & Prayer
Song: What Shall I Say to the Lord?
Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 26:1-11, Luke 4:1-13 (Page 209, 1074) ~ Zipporah
Meditation: "God’s Hand Delivers Us" ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Confession and Reconciliation:
Leader: Scripture says, ‘No one who believes in God will be put to shame.’ For there is no distinction between
Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on God. For, ‘Everyone who calls on
the name of the Lord shall be saved.’
Designated Response: (designated person in the congregation will stand and respond) I will call upon the Lord
Confessional Response: Ruth G.
Leader: We are all invited to call upon the Lord today. Let us bring ourselves to God in prayer.
All: Saving God, we call upon you, for you alone can save. When we find ourselves wandering in a
wilderness, we call to you.
Leader: When we face temptations (pause), we call to you. When our souls hunger for what only you can
provide (pause), we call to you.
All: In the morning and in the evening, we will call upon the Lord.
Leader: Our generous God provides for us.
Song: It is Marvelous
- Fellowship Breakfast: Tuesday (12th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (12th) - Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Prayer Meeting: Wednesday (13th) - Everyone is invited to attend our final weekly prayer meeting and Bible
study on Wednesday at 7 PM, in our church basement, as we pray for guidance and renewal for our church
members, for our congregation, and for Mennonite Church Alberta. This call to prayer is part of Mennonite
Church Alberta's Vision 20/20 renewal process.
- Friday and Saturday: The Annual Delegate Session and Vision 20/20 Gathering for Mennonite Church
Alberta will be held at Bergthal Mennonite Church in Didsbury (March 15-16). Registration IS NOW OPEN. It
would be great to have many representatives from Holyrood Mennonite Church at this critical assembly in which
we seek God's direction for the future. Register at www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca/events
- Praise for Thomas’ safe return from Liberia. Please pray for the stability of the country, and for the churches.
- Pray for safety for Gordon and Wendy, and the CPI team as they travel to Honduras.
- Pray for Wendy’s parents, as they journey through the final stages of their lives.
- Pray for Zach as he is traveling in Europe, for traveling mercies and protection.
- Pray for healing for Reuben Tut, pastor of the Edmonton South Sudanese Mennonite Church, who is very
weakened by tuberculosis.
- VISION 20/20 - A Season of Prayer: As we transition from Phase II to Phase III, we've been asked to pause and
listen. Of what is God asking us to let go? Of what is God asking us to take hold? Pray for open minds - to really
see all that is good and all that is challenging; open hearts - to listen with humility; open wills - to really be, to
surrender; open spirit - to really know deep in our bones that we are loved by God.
- Please pray for Mennonite Church Uganda, which is experiencing significant growth, and now has more than 20
congregations. Pray for training for pastors/church leaders, and pray for basic infrastructure needs (simple
church buildings/shelters, and chairs).
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- From North Edmonton Ministry: All Women are invited to an interfaith event at Baitul Hadi Mosque,
7005-98 Avenue, on Thursday March 14 at 6:30 pm (registration opens 5:30). It has been most inspiring in
the past. This year, to honour International Women's Day, our theme is titled "Women as Nation Builders".
- CPI Benefit Concert: Enjoy the delightful choral music of Excentrica and Friends while supporting the work of
Canadian Peacemakers International. Sunday, March 17 at 6 pm at the Lendrum Mennonite Church. Admission
by donation with reception to follow.
- Friday, April 12, 7:00pm: The First Mennonite Church Truth and Reconciliation Action Group invites you to
attend a screening of Treaty Talk (www.treatytalk.com) hosted by the producer Patricia Makokis at First
Mennonite (3650 – 91 Street NW). The screening will be followed by a discussion on what it means to be a
non-Indigenous treaty person. Any and all are welcome!
- Planting Peace Gathering 2019 is looking for a Cook for approx 25 people during the week of April 28 - May
4 at Camp Valaqua. Contact Carol for more details firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you between the ages of 18-30, and looking to be challenged, and to learn, serve, and grow in your
faith? MCC is seeking applicants for the Serving and Learning Together (SALT) program to serve for 11 months
in a variety of assignments in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East! For more information or to apply
please visit mcccanada.ca/salt
- Mark your calendars: The MCC Sale is happening in Coaldale May 31 & June 1. More details to come.
- MCA Vision20/20 Phase III & Annual Delegate Sessions- Registration is open for the March 15 -16 event
in Didsbury. Registration and resources are at mennonitechurch.ab.ca. Come as a delegate or as a guest.
Billeting deadline March 3. Please register by March 10. mennonitechurch.ab.ca
- Craig Neufeld will be installed as pastor at Edmonton First Mennonite Church on Sunday, March 10, 2019. Pray
for Craig and the congregation as they celebrate together. You can send greetings to Edmonton First at
email@example.com or reach Craig directly at
NEXT SUNDAY (17th)
2nd Sunday of Lent
- Speaker: Jon Olfert
- Worship Leader: Jackson
- Music Team: Eun Jin
- Scripture Reader:
- Children’s Feature: Jon
- Confession: Amie
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Ushers: Brock, Carol
- Food Bank (19th): Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set-up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.