|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jim Shantz
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Garth, Brock
June 2, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 352 - Gentle Shepherd come and lead us
HWB 523 - Dear Lord and Father of mankind
HWB 581 - Take thou my hand, O Father
Cluster Group Prayer
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 5 - There is a place if quiet rest
Scriptures: Rom 8:26-27, 1 Thess 5:16-17, Matt 6: 5-8 (Page 1184, 1239, 1012)
Meditation: “Praying All the Time?” ~ Jim Shantz
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Dedication of Purity Kumba Favour Bundor
Song: HWB 353 - Lord, listen to your children praying
- TODAY!! You are welcome to join us downstairs following the worship service for a potluck to celebrate Sahr
and Mary’s new baby, Purity.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (4th) - Hosts: Ben, Pearl
- Women’s Retreat: Friday - Sunday (7 - 9th) at Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Late registration
accepted until June 2. Can't come? Sponsor a woman. Information and registration at mcawomen.ca.
- Funeral Service for Alma Burkholder will be on Saturday, June 8 at 1 pm at Holyrood Mennonite Church.
- Next Sunday: Mennonite Church Canada Witness Worker Jeanette Hanson will be sharing during the worship
- Roof fundraiser challenge! Who can raise more, men or women? Please aim for ($100/adult) if you are able.
If we get a cheque for a couple, men and women’s teams will be indicated equally. Goal is $5250. See
thermometers in the foyer for progress. Prizes! One each for women/men will be drawn for from the people who
- Camp Valaqua is seeking volunteers to take part in our Camp Connections Program. Connections are given
the name of one of our Valaqua staffers and then asked to pray for and correspond with that staffer.
Participants are asked to send a minimum of one letter to their connection and will receive a minimum of one
letter in return. More communication as well as small care packages are encouraged. If you are interested,
contact the camp office at 403-637-2510 or email: email@example.com
- Thank God for the life of Alma Burkholder, and pray for her family and all who mourn her passing.
- Pray for Rollie as he resides at the Glenrose for rehabiliation during weekdays.
- Pray for Ruth’s sister Betty. She has finished chemo; please pray her results will be clear.
- Please pray for Helena’s co worker, Diana.
- Please pray for Godfrey, whose brother was killed. Also he has had a break in at his place.
- Pray for Loren & Donna’s daughter as she is in Africa: for healing for her arm, for help for the people, and for
- Please continue to pray for Reuben Tut, pastor of the Edmonton South Sudanese Mennonite Church. For the
past two months Reuben has been in the U of A Hospital due to complications arising from tuberculosis.
Recently he was also diagnosed with pneumonia. Pray for his return to health, for his family, and for the church
as they miss his leadership.
- Pray for MCA participants (core walkers, day walkers, refreshment workers) in Walk for Common Ground (May
31 - June 14). Core Walkers include Cassidy Brown (Bergthal), Jacob Froese (Trinity), Caleb Kowalko (First
Calgary), and Jim Shantz (First Edmonton).
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, George Varghese.
- Listen, Worship, Praise, Sing! Sunday, June 2, 6:30pm - First Mennonite Choir enjoys coming together each
Thursday to join our voices in preparation for Sunday, but also to simply enjoy singing together. This year we
welcome you to join us as we present an evening Spring Concert (3650 – 91 St NW). There will be opportunity
for fellowship after the program. Come, relax, listen, sing and visit. It should be well worth it!
- “GAZA CALLS” - Saturday June 8, 10 am - Lendrum Mennonite church will be hosting "Gaza Calls"- a speaker
from Gaza will be transmitted to multiple sites across Canada. The event is organized by Canadian Friends of
Sabeel-an organization that supports the efforts of Christian Palestinians and works with all people in Palestine
and Israel for peace with justice. Please RSVP here:
- You are invited to the CPI BBQ and AGM, at the home of Gordon and Wendy Baergen, 265-52152 Range
Road 225, Sherwood Park, on Sunday, June 9, at 5:00 P.M. If you could bring a food item (salad or dessert)
for the pot luck (meat and fix-ins will be provided), it would be appreciated.... no obligation but please bring a
lawn chair and bug spray. If you need a map, please contact Dave Hubert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “The Age-old Ways of Local Indigenous Culture - Songs & Stories: Rituals & Reasons”. Your 2019 Heritage
Retreat featuring international speaker and community elder, Alvin Manitopyes on Wednesday, June 12. EVERY
AGE WELCOME to this on-site Camp Valaqua fundraiser. Sign up by calling/texting Ruthanna Friesen
(403)973-1787 or email Ruthannagetsmail@gmail.com. $30/person incl. lunch. Registration 9-10am.
- Radek & Geordie’s home in Grand Forks, BC was gutted after several feet of water flooded their house in May
2018. They are repairing what they can but due to age and health issues they have been able to refinish very
little. They and others need assistance. Join Mennonite Disaster Service for a week or two to bring Radek,
Geordie and others home. Volunteers are needed this summer, especially in August & September. Phone
800-241-8111 or register at https://mds.mennonite.net/volunteer-registration-form/ and be part of bringing
- Grow Hope with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land for $300 on one
of our four fields (near Carstairs and Fort Saskatchewan) and the donation could grow to as much as $2,500 for
food assistance work in the developing world. The farmers will farm the land and forward the proceeds to MCC &
CFGB. Learn more at mccab.ca/grow-hope
- MCC Thrift Shop Edmonton is hosting a Volunteer Appreciation and Recruitment evening at First Mennonite
Church on June 21 at 6 pm. All volunteers are welcome! This year's event is also a volunteer recruitment drive,
so we invite those interested in volunteering to come. Please speak to your MCC Thrift Shop representative for
more information or contact Beverly Enns (email@example.com).
- Walk for Common Ground: The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has called all Canadians to rediscover
that “We are all treaty people.” Follow the Walk for Common Ground May 31 - June 14 on the Pilgrimage for
Indigenous Rights Facebook page (www.facebook.com/pfirCanada/) or by searching the hashtag
#walkforcommonground on most social media platforms. treatytalk.com
NEXT SUNDAY (9th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Thomas
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Scripture Reader: Zach
- Children’s Feature: Diane
- Greeters: Grace, Helena
- Ushers: Roland, Thomas
- Food Bank (11th): Hosts: Ben, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.