|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
July 8, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: Insert - I Feel the Presence of God
My Jesus Promised He Will Never Fail
Receive My Praise, Oh Lord!
You Are Lord
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Puppets
Sunday School will resume in the fall
Share & Prayer
Song: Joy Overflows My Heart
Scripture Reading: Psalm 56, Acts 7:54-60 (Page 601, 1148) ~ Edward
Meditation: “Michael Sattler: A Superlative Witness” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: The Lord Will Bless Someone Today
- TODAY! You are invited to a pre-wedding celebration/potluck for Aaron Fairbrother and Rachel Walpert
following the worship service this morning. Come celebrate with them and wish them well. A money tree will
be set up for anyone wishing to send a card or monetary gift.
- Fellowship Breakfast: Tuesday (10th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (10th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- TREASURER UPDATE: Thank you to everyone for your generous giving. At the end of May we are behind
about 12% on the General Offering which translates to about $16, 000.00.
- Please drive slowly in church alleyway: A friendly neighbour expressed his concern that on Sunday
mornings cars that are coming to our church are driving too fast in the alleyway behind the church. His concern
is well-noted, as there are sometimes children playing in the alley. It is probably best to avoid the alley when
coming to church, but if you use it, please drive very slowly in it, no faster than 15km/hr. Thanks.
- On July 22, a celebration of the Nicolsons’ service with MC Canada Witness in Burkina Faso will take place
during the Sunday morning worship at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Potluck lunch to follow. All are welcome!
Twenty years ago, Lillian (Haas) Nicolson (Bluesky Mennonite Church) was invited to Burkina Faso to minister in
the work of literacy which then grew into Bible translation. Alongside literacy and Bible translation, she has also
been involved in church planting within the community. Norm (North Peace Mennonite Brethren) has
ministered in Burkina Faso since 2007. He taught and assisted people to develop trade skills that enabled them
to better meet the needs of their families, congregations and communities. He also audio-recorded biblical and
other teaching materials to share the gospel with those who have limited literacy abilities. Norm, Lillian and
their children, Kenneth and Nadine, returned to Canada at the end of May.
- Please pray for Janis’ condo to rent.
- Please pray for Godfrey and the church that he is attempting to plant in Hoima, Uganda.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- On July 31 - Aug 3, Edmonton will host the North American Interfaith Network (NAIN) Conference. Held at
MacEwan University, opening day will include a blanket exercise, keynotes by Marie Wilson (TRC Commissioner)
and her husband Stephen Kakfwi (former Premier of NWT) and will conclude with a mini round dance. Several
workshop slots as well as two tours will focus on Indigenous stories and experiences. Our keynote on
Wednesday is a young female Muslim scholar and several of our workshops will engage us on issues of dialogue
and pilgrimage. General Romeo Dallaire will share about his journey with PTSD on Thursday. MCA's Donna Entz
will co-lead a workshop with Shiraz Kanjion titled A Journey towards understanding the “Other”: the
Christian-Muslim dialogue experience in Edmonton. The event webpage is at: https://nain2018edmonton.ca/
- Camp Valaqua is seeking Kitchen Volunteers. If you are able to help for any of the weeks of summer or
even a portion of a week, please contact us at 403-637-2510 or email email@example.com. A $75 camper
discount is available for parents and grandparents who volunteer.
- WE NEED YOUR HELP! Poverty doesn’t take summer vacation. - The Mustard Seed’s Evening Meal Program
feeds 300-350 people each night, Monday through Saturday. However, with summer being so busy, we are
short on volunteers. We are in urgent need of groups who are willing to prepare and serve dinner to those
facing poverty in downtown Edmonton. Consider getting a group of friends, family members, or coworkers
together and volunteering with us on any of the following dates: July 7, 21, 30, and most of August. For more
information, please contact Volunteer Services at 780-426-5600 or VolunteerEdmonton@theseed.ca.
- Grow Hope North with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land near Fort
Saskatchewan for $300 only 50 acres left. Local farmers will grow your crop and donate the proceeds to MCC
and CFGB. Go to mccab.ca/grow-hope to donate and find out how your $300 donation could mean as much as
$2,500 toward alleviating hunger around the world! Contact Donita Wiebe-Neufeld at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Golf for MCC in Tofield, Sept 8. Support MCC's international and local ministry! More info and registration at
- Ride for Uganda. Ryan Wolfe, Calvin Elias and Byron Peters will be cycling 800 km (from Banff, AB to
Pentiction, BC) July 9-13 to raise awareness and support for MCC’s education program with the Ik people of
Uganda. MCC invites you to support their ride. Over $19,000 has been raised! Help reach the goal of $25,000.
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.6 FTE) 5 month contract for Refugee Sponsorship
Coordinator. Contact: Iliana at email@example.com. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.5 FTE) Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
Contact: Iliana at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
NEXT SUNDAY (15th)
- Speaker: Venicious Reeves
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Scripture Reader: Ronky
- Greeters: Grace, Helena
- Ushers: Eunice, Antoinette
- Food Bank (17th) Host(s): Diane, Doreen
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.