|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: CJ
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Dave, Garth
July 1, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 37 - Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
HWB 396 - The work is thine, O Christ
HWB 407 - We are people of God's peace
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Sunday School will resume in the fall
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 349 - Spirit of the Living God
Scripture Reading: Psalm 146, Acts 5:17-32 (Page 660, 1144) ~ Zach
Meditation: “Conrad Grebel: No Compromise” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 653 - Abide with me
- Food Bank: Tuesday (3rd) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- NEXT SUNDAY! You are invited to a pre-wedding celebration/potluck for Aaron Fairbrother and Rachel
Walpert on Sunday, July 8th here at the church. Come celebrate with them and wish them well. A money tree
will be set up for anyone wishing to send a card or monetary gift.
- TREASURER UPDATE: Thank you to everyone for your generous giving. At the end of May we are behind
about 12% on the General Offering which translates to about $16, 000.00.
- On July 22, a celebration of the Nicolsons’ service with MC Canada Witness in Burkina Faso will take place
during the Sunday morning worship at Holyrood Mennonite Church. Potluck lunch to follow. All are welcome!
Twenty years ago, Lillian (Haas) Nicolson (Bluesky Mennonite Church) was invited to Burkina Faso to minister in
the work of literacy which then grew into Bible translation. Alongside literacy and Bible translation, she has also
been involved in church planting within the community. Norm (North Peace Mennonite Brethren) has
ministered in Burkina Faso since 2007. He taught and assisted people to develop trade skills that enabled them
to better meet the needs of their families, congregations and communities. He also audio-recorded biblical and
other teaching materials to share the gospel with those who have limited literacy abilities. Norm, Lillian and
their children, Kenneth and Nadine, returned to Canada at the end of May.
- Please pray for Janis’ condo to rent.
- Please pray for Godfrey and the church that he is attempting to plant in Hoima, Uganda.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- Jim Shantz, Indigenous Neighbours co-coordinator and M2/W2 volunteer coordinator, will give us an update on
Indigenous corrections issues in Edmonton and area at Coffee and Conversation on Tuesday at 10:00 - Lendrum
Mennonite Church, 11210-59 Ave. All are welcome!
- On July 31 - Aug 3, Edmonton will host the North American Interfaith Network (NAIN) Conference. Held at
MacEwan University, opening day will include a blanket exercise, keynotes by Marie Wilson (TRC Commissioner)
and her husband Stephen Kakfwi (former Premier of NWT) and will conclude with a mini round dance. Several
workshop slots as well as two tours will focus on Indigenous stories and experiences. Our keynote on
Wednesday is a young female Muslim scholar and several of our workshops will engage us on issues of dialogue
and pilgrimage. General Romeo Dallaire will share about his journey with PTSD on Thursday. MCA's Donna Entz
will co-lead a workshop with Shiraz Kanjion titled A Journey towards understanding the “Other”: the
Christian-Muslim dialogue experience in Edmonton. The event webpage is at: https://nain2018edmonton.ca/
- Camp Valaqua is seeking Kitchen Volunteers. If you are able to help for any of the weeks of summer or
even a portion of a week, please contact us at 403-637-2510 or email email@example.com. A $75 camper
discount is available for parents and grandparents who volunteer.
- Hike-a-Thon and Garden Party THANKS! With 17 participants, Jon Olfert said the Hike-a Thon raised
$14,000.00 for Camp's general budget. Garden Party attendees heard from Caleb Kowalko, newly installed
pastor at Calgary First. An offering of $4000.00 was collected for the bathroom renovation. About $43000.00
still remains to be paid.
- Grow Hope North with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land near Fort
Saskatchewan for $300 only 50 acres left. Local farmers will grow your crop and donate the proceeds to MCC
and CFGB. Go to mccab.ca/grow-hope to donate and find out how your $300 donation could mean as much as
$2,500 toward alleviating hunger around the world! Contact Donita Wiebe-Neufeld at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Golf for MCC in Tofield, Sept 8. Support MCC's international and local ministry! More info and registration at
- Ride for Uganda. Ryan Wolfe, Calvin Elias and Byron Peters will be cycling 800 km (from Banff, AB to
Pentiction, BC) July 9-13 to raise awareness and support for MCC’s education program with the Ik people of
Uganda. MCC invites you to support their ride. Over $19,000 has been raised! Help reach the goal of $25,000.
- Ride for International Witness: Gather a team for this one-day fundraiser. Mennonite Church Canada
congregations are invited to participate in this fun, ride/walk fundraising event in support of our international
Witness ministry. Ride for Refuge is a nationwide fundraising event held each year, supporting multiple
charities. Mennonite Church Canada is just one of the charities registered. Visit. https://rideforrefuge.org or
mennonitechurch.ab.ca for more information
NEXT SUNDAY (8th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Scripture Reader: Edward
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Ushers: Roland
- Food Bank (10th) Host(s): Diane, Doreen
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.