|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Millie, Faye
Ushers: Brock, Carol
January 7, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Yes! The light is here. We carry it within us.
All: It is the star of the East; it is the morning sun.
Leader: It is as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
All: Praise the Lord!
Leader: You, O God, have caused the mountains to shake. You have torn open the heavens, and your
glory reaches the earth.
All: May we, like the magi, seek you until we find you. May we offer our gifts in your
presence, no matter where you are found.
Leader: Yes! Let your mystery be declared.
Lighting of Advent Candle
Songs: HWB 16 - God is here among us
HWB 401 - This little light of mine
STJ 67 - Let there be light
Offering: STJ 95 - I want to walk as a child
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Theresa
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 545 - Be Thou my vision
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 60:1-6, Matthew 2:1-12 (Page 779, 1008) ~ Helena
Meditation: “Epiphany: Let it be Declared” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
O God, your light has come, your glory rise, and your brightness dawned, illuminating not
only the way of the magi, but all our paths. From your fullness we have received grace upon
grace as your mystery has been revealed and your presence made known. Now we too are
called to arise, shine, and return by another road. Yet we confess that instead of lifting our
eyes and searching diligently, instead of walking with boldness and confidence, instead of
revealing and proclaiming your presence, we cling to what we have and know, and we
continue on our old familiar ways home. We are frightened by the unknown, and by the
darkness that covers the earth. Forgive us.
(Pause for Silence)
Words of Assurance:
Leader: O God, Emmanuel, in Jesus, the Christ, you have come among us. You have given us life, and
we are restored.
Song: HWB 226 - You are salt for the earth
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (9th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. Men and ladies of
all ages are welcome to join us!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (9th) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (10th) at 7 pm at the church. Join us for our first women’s group meeting of the
New Year! Come and be encouraged, or to encourage someone else!
- New Elder Nominations: Patrick Kukanu and Sahr Bundor have been nominated as Elders. If anyone wants
to give input to these nominations please speak to Pastor Werner or one of the Elders.
- Pray for Esther’s uncle, as he has suffered a stroke.
- Please continue to pray for Helena’s co-worker, Diana.
- Weekend Philosopher starts January 13th at 9:30 am at Lendrum MB Church. Free events occur over seven
Saturdays and includes breakfast, a guest speaker, and a discussion related to Beliefs and Faith. In conjunction
with this series, Lendrum’s annual Study Conference will be held from January 19-21st with guest speaker,
Ryan Dueck, pastor of Lethbridge Mennonite Church. See the bulletin board for more information.
- Snowcamp at Camp Valaqua - Jr High Snowcamp (grades 7-9) will be on January 12-14 and Sr High
Snowcamp (grades 10-12) will be on February 23-25. Register online at www.campvalaqua.com
- The Global Social Justice Conference - January 19-20, hosted at Crossroads Church in Red Deer, in
partnership with Prairie College. It is a conference to educate and inspire participants to respond to the biblical
mandate of justice toward those to whom Christ was referring to in Matthew 19:14. Attending the conference
will increase your awareness of critical issues faced by people in Canada and around the world and illustrate
ways the local church can effectively respond to needs. Presenters include World Vision Canada, Food for the
Hungry, Samaritan's Purse, and more. $10 cost includes lunch on Saturday and a concert by Brian Doerksen.
See the bulletin board or prairie.edu/events for more information or register at gsjconference2018.eventbrite.ca
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 15 -17, 2018 - Students from across Canada will gather in Ottawa to
learn about Palestine and Israel with politicians and civil society advocates. Visit
mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar to register before Jan 19, 2018. Travel subsidies are available - contact
Carol at MCC Alberta for more information email@example.com or 403-275-6935.
- Mennonite Disaster Service would like to invite to their All-Unit Meeting in Winkler, MB on Feb 9-10. This
event is a time of sharing and celebration of the work of MDS the past year. For more information or to register
please visit our website, mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting/ or call us at 1-866-261-1274.
- Fantastic news! Bill C-262, the Indigenous Human Rights Bill, was endorsed by the ruling Liberal party at
second reading on December 5, 2017. After a 3rd Reading, and final, it can be brought to the Senate for Royal
Assent. MP Romeo Saganash expresses his sincere gratitude to our Mennonite community for all the work
we’ve done to get things this far. We’re encouraged to keep sending the free Walk the Talk postcards
(www.commonword.ca/go/1283) to all MPs, encouraging them to stand up for justice and reconciliation.
NEXT SUNDAY (14th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Ed
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Sunday School Teacher: Hajah
- Scripture Reader: Venisa
- Greeters: Helena, Grace
- Ushers: Brock, Antoinette
- Food Bank (16th) Host(s): Diane, Doreen; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.