|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Randy Haluza-DeLay
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: Ruth, Emily
January 6, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 145 - There's a wideness in God's mercy
HWB 176 - Comfort, comfort O my people
HWB 183 - On Jordan's banks the Baptist's cry
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ike
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 367 - For the healing of the nations
Scripture Reading: Jonah 1:1-3, 3:10-4:1, 4-11; Matt. 3:1-6, 13-16
(Page 967, 1009)~ Ike, Edward
Meditation: "Going with Christian Peacemakers Teams in the Land
where Jonah went" ~ Randy Haluza-DeLay
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: STJ 17 - Halle, halle, hallelujah
- There will be no Adult Sunday School this morning, January 6th. The Sunday School Class will resume on
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (6th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (6th) - Hosts: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- NEXT SUNDAY: There will be a Coffee Time after church on January 13th to welcome back Werner and
Joanne from their Short Term Mission Assignment.
- Potluck: On January 27th, we will be having a potluck meal together with the Sudanese Church, Ethiopian
Church, and the Zimbabwean Church to celebrate Werner and Joanne's return from their Short Term Mission
Assignment to Ethiopia. Werner and Joanne will be sharing about their experiences in Ethiopia, as well. Please
bring extra food to share with everyone.
- Helena is requesting your help with an upcoming project. If you identify with a language other than
English, please e mail or text the following saying in your language. "Peace be with you.” I would like everyone
to be represented. Thank you. Helena: email@example.com 780-901-3142
- Canadian Peacemakers International (CPI) Learning Tour. Another tour is being planned to visit Honduras,
departing YEG late February or early March. The cost of the 12 day tour is about $2200 pp which includes a
$500 charitable donation. Please contact Gordon and Wendy Baergen 780 467-6559 for more info.
- Please keep Hannah Loewen's family in your thoughts and prayers, as they grieve her passing.
- Pray for Zechariah, for healing for his leg.
- Pray for Esther’s husband for his work situation.
- Remember Werner and Joanne in prayer as they prepare to say farewell to new friends and return home.
- VISION 20/20 - A Season of Prayer: As we transition from Phase II to Phase III, we've been asked to pause and
listen. Of what is God asking us to let go? Of what is God asking us to take hold? Pray for open minds - to really
see all that is good and all that is challenging; open hearts - to listen to one another with humility; open wills -
to really be, to surrender ourselves; open spirit - to really know deep in our bones that we are loved by God.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- Hymn Sing: You are invited to a Mennonite-Catholic Hymn Sing on January 31, 2019 at 7:00 pm at St.
Thomas More Parish (210 Haddow Close NW). Come and join the Mennonite and Catholic communities as we
share songs that are part of each of our traditions. Refreshments will follow the evening of singing. For further
information contact Kae Neufeld at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780 434-1965.
- The Youth Leadership Team is excited to invite you to Snowcamp! Join us on January 11-13 for a weekend
of food, fellowship, and broomball. Our speaker for the weekend is Lauren Harms, pastor of Calgary Inter
Mennonite Church and former Valaqua and MCC Alberta staffer. For more information or to register, visit
- Join us at First Mennonite Church Feb 9th at 6:30 for a trivia night which is a Camp Valaqua Fundraiser. All are
welcome - Invite neighbours, friends, and relatives to join. Contact Kim Wiens to submit a team of 6-8, or if you
need a team contact Kim Wiens and she will connect you with a team. Admission will be $20/person at the door
and a donation will also be taken at the event. Please RVSP your team to Kim Wiens before hand
(email@example.com or 780-953-6924). This event will be running concurrently to one at Foothills in
Calgary. Let's have some fun with this competition!
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.7 FTE) Shop Assistant for the Edmonton Thrift Shop.
For more information contact Iliana at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view full job description and to apply, please
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 14 -16, 2019, People on the move: Human rights and global migration.
Visit mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar for more information. Travel subsidies are available - contact Carol
at MCC Alberta to apply email@example.com or 403-275-6935.
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) Circles of Support and Accountability (CoSA)
Coordinator. For more information contact Iliana Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view full job description
and to apply, please visit bit.ly/COSAcoordinator
- Want to stay up to date on young adult opportunities with MCC Alberta? This January, we are excited to
launch The Committee, a community of young people who believe that together, we can do more. Sign up
today to receive monthly updates on practical ways you can learn, serve, create, advocate, pray, and give.
- Considering a short course at AMBS? See this list of upcoming courses on the bulletin board.
- Young Adults. It’s never too early to plan for your further education in September of 2019. Do you know that
both Columbia Bible College in Abbotsford and Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg offer full tuition
assistance? Check out the Sheep & Goats MDS Service Scholarship/Bursary at each of the schools’ Financial Aid
page. Application deadline is end of January 2019.
NEXT SUNDAY (13th)
- Speaker: Donna Entz
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: African Team
- Scripture Reader: Ronky
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Ushers: Brock, Antoinette
- Food Bank (15th): Doreen, Diane
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.