|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Elizabeth
Worship Leader: Sue
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Doreen, Helena
Ushers: Eunice, Thomas
February 3, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 64 - Asithi: Amen
HWB 86 - Now Thank we all our God
HWB 309 - Built on the rock
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 343 - Matthew 7:24-27 (Page 1014)
Meditation: "Wise & Foolish Builders" ~ Pastor Elizabeth
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Silent Prayer for Guidance and Renewal
Song: HWB 332 - Blessed Assurance
- Food Bank: Tuesday (5th) - Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
- Prayer Meeting: Wednesday (6th) - Everyone is invited to attend a weekly prayer meeting and Bible study (for
the next 6 weeks) on Wednesday evenings, 7 PM, in our church basement, as we pray for guidance and renewal
for our church members, for our congregation, and for Mennonite Church Alberta. This call to prayer is part of
Mennonite Church Alberta's Vision 20/20 renewal process.
- Girls Club: Friday (8th)
- NEXT SUNDAY: We will celebrate Communion together. Please prepare your heart.
- Helena Ball's cluster group is invited to a soup lunch on February 10 after church. Please see invitations in
- On Feb 24 after church please plan to stay for a presentation based on the 20/20 visioning meeting that
Helena attended with Mennonite Church Alberta. It will be about an hour so please bring a snack if you would
- Our church AGM is coming up again soon so we need all the regular reports to be sent electronically to Dave
Lefever at email@example.com. We are requesting that the reports from the Pastor, Elders, Treasurer,
Administrative Council/Trustees, Worship Committee, Women's Group, MVS unit all be sent by Feb. 24th so that
Dave has time to put the booklet together. Those reports need to be in the mailboxes by March 10 so everyone
has a chance to read them in time for our AGM on March 24th.
- The Annual Delegate Session and Vision 20/20 Gathering for Mennonite Church Alberta will be held at
Bergthal Mennonite Church in Didsbury from March 15-16. Registration information will be coming soon. It
would be great to have many representatives from Holyrood Mennonite Church at this critical assembly in which
we seek God's direction for the future.
- Please pray for Jane Blume who was in a car accident in High River on Monday, January 28, and sustained very
serious injuries. Her family is requesting prayer.
- Pray for those who are searching for work.
- Pray for health for Alma.
- VISION 20/20 - A Season of Prayer: As we transition from Phase II to Phase III, we've been asked to pause and
listen. Of what is God asking us to let go? Of what is God asking us to take hold? Pray for open minds - to really
see all that is good and all that is challenging; open hearts - to listen to one another with humility; open wills -
to really be, to surrender ourselves; open spirit - to really know deep in our bones that we are loved by God.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- Coffee & Conversation: Tuesday at 10 am at Lendrum (11210-59 Ave). On Tuesday, February 5, Wendy and
Gordon Baergen will give a presentation on their recent MCC learning tour to Nepal. All are welcome!
- Join us at First Mennonite Church Feb 9th at 6:30 for a trivia night which is a Camp Valaqua Fundraiser. All are
welcome - Invite neighbours, friends, and relatives to join. Contact Kim Wiens to submit a team of 6-8, or if you
need a team contact Kim Wiens and she will connect you with a team. Admission will be $20/person at the door
and a donation will also be taken at the event. Please RVSP your team to Kim Wiens before hand
(firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-953-6924). This event will be running concurrently to one at Foothills in
Calgary. Let's have some fun with this competition!
- Another CPI Learning Tour is leaving for Honduras on March 4. If you have an old working computer, with a
minimum of an 80 gig hard drive , and you would like to give it a second life helping educate students in
Honduras, call Dave Hubert (780-462-6234, email@example.com) or Gordon Baergen (780-953-2651,
firstname.lastname@example.org) We can use both desktops and laptops.
- World Day of Prayer: The service in our zone will take place at Our Lady of Assumption Catholic Church, 9034
- 95 Ave on Friday, March 1 at 7 pm. The service “Come, everything is ready!” is written by the women of
Slovenia. Refreshments and fellowship will follow in the Church Hall. Elevator at SE entrance. Due to LRT
construction, please allow extra travel time. All are welcome.
- Planting Peace Gathering 2019 is happening April 28 - May 4 at Camp Valaqua! All young adults ages 18-30
are invited to come out for a week of fun and learning about new ways to promote peacebuilding in the
community. Visit mccab.ca/planting-peace for full details and to register.
- Are you between the ages of 18-30, and looking to be challenged, and to learn, serve, and grow in your
faith? MCC is seeking applicants for the Serving and Learning Together (SALT) program to serve for 11 months
in a variety of assignments in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East! mcccanada.ca/salt
- Mark your calendars: MCC Relief Sale and Bazaar happening in Coaldale May 31 & June 1. More details to
- Common Ground Treaty Walk - Between May 31 and June 14, 30 Indigenous, unionist and Church walkers
will journey 320 kilometres from Edmonton (Treaty 6) to Calgary (Treaty 7). Stopping at a dozen sites to host
public "Treaty Talks" (see www.treatytalk.com), the walk seeks to honour the sacred covenants of these lands
and the call of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission for "sustained, public education and dialogue" on
Treaties. Would you like to join? MC Canada is helping Indigenous colleagues and the Health Sciences
Association of Alberta organize the Common Ground Treaty Walk and we have space for four core Mennonite
walkers! If you are interested and available for 15 days, please email Steve Heinrichs
(email@example.com), director of Indigenous-Settler Relations, for more details and a registration
form. Please note that there will be no limit to "day-walker" participation; the more Mennonites, the better!
Application deadline is end of January.
NEXT SUNDAY (10th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: CJ
- Music Team: African Team
- Scripture Reader: Dixon Jr.
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Greeters: Grace, Ann
- Ushers: Roland, Antoinette
- Food Bank (12th): Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set-up: Dave, Guenther
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.