|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Joanne De Jong
Worship Leader: Ike
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Thomas, Eunice
February 25, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: Come, sons and daughters of Abraham and Sara, nations born of barren lands, you who stand
here because of promises fulfilled, come and worship your God.
People: We are born through the faith of our ancestors, just as our faith will give life to
future generations; even as we hope against hope, we come to worship our God.
Leader: Welcome home, children of God. Welcome to this house of God.
Songs: STJ 44 - The love of God
STJ 106 - Just a Closer Walk with thee
STJ 29 - You are all we have
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Helena
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Esther
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 355 - Saviour, like a shepherd lead us
Scripture Reading: Genesis 17:1-7, 5-16; Romans 4:13-25 (Page 15, 1180) ~ Venisa
Meditation: “Abraham and Sarah” ~ Joanne De Jong
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
God of our ancestors and our descendants, promising Abraham and Sarah children at their age just
seems mean. For them to believe that promise sounds foolish - almost as foolish as expecting that
same faithfulness from us. That was then, this is now. We are not used to waiting. If something we
want takes too long, we itch to move on to the next thing, even when waiting is important. Forgive us.
Forgive our impatience and refusal to believe in what we cannot see. Build in us the willingness to
hope against hope. Help us to value and contribute to a future yet unseen. Instill in us a faith to
inspire future generations.
Words of Assurance:
I will always keep the promise I have made to you and your descendants, because I am your God and
Song: HWB 616 - Children of the Heavenly father
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promises.
- Discipleship Circle: Tonight, Sunday (25th) at 7 pm in the church basement.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (27th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (27th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (27th) at 6:30 pm
- Evangelism workshop: Holyrood Mennonite Church will be hosting an evangelism workshop, led by Tim
Chesterton, the minister at St. Margaret’s Anglican Church, on Saturday, March 3, 10-4 PM. There is no cost,
and lunch will be provided. The title of Tim’s workshop is “How to Relax and Enjoy Evangelism.” Everyone is
warmly encouraged to attend, even if the idea of sharing your faith is rather frightening!
- Pray for Jackson as his brother has died, and the service is to be held on April 9.
- Please pray for Gordon and Wendy Baergen as they travel on a CPI Learning Tour to Honduras. Pray for their
safety as they travel in a country currently experiencing political upheaval.
- Pray for Guenther’s friend Margaret as she transitions to a care center.
- Please pray for Antoinette Wallace, as her cousin has died in Liberia.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- North Edmonton Ministry: You are invited for a special two-part Coffee and Conversation regarding the power
of Christian-Muslim interfaith encounter. Dr. David Goa will facilitate both sessions in which we will be learning
about the experiences of the monks of Algeria during the Civil War in the 1990's. On February 27 we will focus
on the book, Christian de Chergé: A Theology of Hope, which is about the leader of the Algerian monastery,
portrayed in the movie. Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. at Lendrum Church - 11210-59 Avenue. All are welcome!
- The Case of the Missing Dessert! A Camp Valaqua Fundraiser in Edmonton, Saturday, March 10th at 5:30pm
at First Mennonite Church. Everyone is invited to join us for a supper mystery event and fundraiser for Camp
Valaqua (free will offering). Our camp cook was hard at work to provide the most decadent dessert for our
camp banquet, but someone has come and stole the cookie from the cookie jar! Help us solve this mystery and
have some fun along the way! RSVP: email@example.com by March 7th.
- Registration for the MCA AGM is now open. The assembly is March 16-17 at Lethbridge Mennonite Church.
Billeting deadline is March 1. Please contact Joani Neufeldt with questions firstname.lastname@example.org. Go to
www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca to register. See the insert for details!
- SAVE THE DATE for the annual (and fabulous) MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 8-10, 2018 at
the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs, Associate Professor of
Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Registration will open April
1st at mcawomen.ca Hope to see you there!
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- Uprooted 2018 applications are now online! Apply by March 16. Travel to Mexico this May with other young
adults to learn about migration & peacebuilding. Visit mccab.ca/uprooted for more info & to apply. Questions?
Contact Carol at 403-275-6935 or email@example.com
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and our partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
- MCC Learning Tour to Palestine and Israel – May 27 to June 5, 2018 (dates approximate) – Attend the Christ
at the Checkpoint Conference in Bethlehem, followed by a learning tour of Palestine and Israel. For more info,
contact Abe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.8 FTE) Thrift Shop Coordinator. For more information
contact Iliana at email@example.com. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) 12 week Summer Intern position at the MCC
Calgary office. Application deadline is March 9, 2018. For more information contact Iliana at
firstname.lastname@example.org. To view full job description and to apply, please visit bit.ly/MCC-Intern
NEXT SUNDAY (4th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Ed
- Music Team: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Puppets
- Scripture Reader: Ronky
- Sunday School Teacher: Theresa
- Greeters: Faye, Ann
- Ushers: Garth, Dave
- Food Bank (6th) Host(s): Doreen; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.