|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Joanne De Jong
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
Ushers: Thomas, Eunice
February 24, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship - HWB 670
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joanne
Share & Prayer
Scripture Reading: Psalm 65, Luke 18:1-8 (Page 605, 1097) ~ Helena C
Meditation: "The Persistent Widow" ~ Joanne De Jong
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
- TODAY Helena will be presenting information from the November Vision 20/20 conference right after church.
All are welcome to attend. It will be about an hour so please bring a snack if you would like one.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (26th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (26th) - Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
- Council Meeting: Tuesday (26th) at 6:30 pm.
- Prayer Meeting: Wednesday (27th) - Everyone is invited to attend a weekly prayer meeting and Bible study
(for the next 3 weeks) on Wednesday evenings, 7 PM, in our church basement, as we pray for guidance and
renewal for our church members, for our congregation, and for Mennonite Church Alberta. This call to prayer is
part of Mennonite Church Alberta's Vision 20/20 renewal process.
- REPORTS DUE TODAY! Our church AGM is coming up again soon so we need all the regular reports to be
sent electronically to Dave Lefever at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are requesting that the reports from the
Pastor, Elders, Treasurer, Administrative Council/Trustees, Worship Committee, Women's Group, MVS unit all
be sent by Feb. 24th so that Dave has time to put the booklet together. Those reports need to be in the
mailboxes by March 10 so everyone has a chance to read them in time for our AGM on March 24th.
- The Annual Delegate Session and Vision 20/20 Gathering for Mennonite Church Alberta will be held at
Bergthal Mennonite Church in Didsbury from March 15-16. Registration IS NOW OPEN. It would be great to
have many representatives from Holyrood Mennonite Church at this critical assembly in which we seek God's
direction for the future. To register, visit www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca/events
- Please pray for Amie’s husband as he is traveling to Liberia.
- Praise that Sue’s brother John has returned from the hospital.
- Pray for the Jantzi family, as Bonnie’s son Kerry passed away on February 2.
- Pray for Zach as he is traveling in Europe.
- VISION 20/20 - A Season of Prayer: As we transition from Phase II to Phase III, we've been asked to pause and
listen. Of what is God asking us to let go? Of what is God asking us to take hold? Pray for open minds - to really
see all that is good and all that is challenging; open hearts - to listen to one another with humility; open wills -
to really be, to surrender ourselves; open spirit - to really know deep in our bones that we are loved by God.
- Please pray for Mennonite Church Uganda, which is experiencing significant growth, and now has more than 20
congregations. Pray for training for pastors/church leaders, and pray for basic infrastructure needs (simple
church buildings/shelters, and chairs for members to sit on).
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- World Day of Prayer: The service in our zone will take place at Our Lady of Assumption Catholic Church, 9034
- 95 Ave on Friday, March 1 at 7 pm. The service “Come, everything is ready!” is written by the women of
Slovenia. Refreshments and fellowship will follow in the Church Hall. Elevator at SE entrance. Due to LRT
construction, please allow extra travel time. All are welcome.
- From North Edmonton Ministry: All Women are invited to an interfaith event at Baitul Hadi Mosque,
7005-98 Avenue, on Thursday March 14 at 6:30 pm (registration opens 5:30). It has been most inspiring in
the past. This year, to honour International Women's Day, our theme is titled "Women as Nation Builders".
- SAVE THE DATE for our annual MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 7-9, 2019 at the beautiful
Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. We are so grateful to have nabbed Irma Fast-Dueck, Associate
Professor of Practical Theology at CMU to be our special speaker. This retreat is always a wonderful time of
fellowship with women from many cultures and churches. Hope you can make it! Registration details are coming
- Planting Peace Gathering 2019 is happening April 28 - May 4 at Camp Valaqua! All young adults ages 18-30
are invited to come out for a week of fun and learning about new ways to promote peacebuilding in the
community. Visit mccab.ca/planting-peace for full details and to register.
- Are you between the ages of 18-30, and looking to be challenged, and to learn, serve, and grow in your
faith? MCC is seeking applicants for the Serving and Learning Together (SALT) program to serve for 11 months
in a variety of assignments in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East! mcccanada.ca/salt
- MCC Alberta is hiring three Summer Interns at the office this year. You could work with local programs,
lead environmental sustainability initiatives, or assist our thrift shop coordinator. Applications close Feb 28.
More info: https://mcccanada.ca/stories/2019-summer-internship-opportunities
- Mark your calendars: MCC Relief Sale and Bazaar happening in Coaldale May 31 & June 1. More details to
- Shake: Rattled by the Radical, July 28- August 1, 2019 at Shekinah Summer Camp, SK – what you need to
know! Cost: $375/person. Travel subsidies and sponsor discounts available before the early-bird registration
deadline: April 26, 2019. Final registration deadline: May 31, 2019. Our days will include: Biblical reflection and
storytelling, shared meals, activities and play, special guests, and more! Visit www.prairieyouth.ca
- Gathering 2019: The website for Gathering 2019 is officially live: www.ignitegathering2019.ca. The gathering
of our nationwide church family in Abbotsford, B.C., coming up from June 29 to July 1. Join the inspirational
conference: Igniting the Imagination of the Church. Doug Klassen will be installed as Executive Minister on
Saturday afternoon, June 29.
- Vision20/20: Phase III - Discerning God's Call - Online registration is open. See
www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca/events to register. Held in conjunction with MCA's Annual Delegate Session.
Come as a delegate or participant in the Vision20/20 process. March 15-16 - Bergthal Mennonite Church.
NEXT SUNDAY (3rd)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Jackson
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Scripture Reader: Bokolo
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Greeters: Doreen, Ann
- Ushers: Garth, Dave
- Food Bank (5th): Hosts: Doreen; Set-up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.