|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Ike Glick
Worship Leader: Sue
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Dave, Ben
February 18, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: The time has come; the kingdom of God draws near. Repent and believe the good news.
People: We have come. We are here. We worship God together.
Songs: Insert ~ Receive My Praise, Oh Lord!
You Are Worthy
He’s in Control
I Never Knew
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Dorathy
Share & Prayer
Song: What Shall I Render to You Oh God!
Scripture Reading: Genesis 9:8-17, 1 Peter 3:18-22 (Page 8, 1272)
Meditation: “Me and You & the Creatures Too” ~ Ike Glick
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
God of creation and salvation, too often we fear there is not enough, and we want to keep what there
is for ourselves, including your love, so we build barriers. We want to decide who’s in or out. We fail
to see the impact of our selfishness. Help us to value all of your creation - the earth, air, water, and
all living creatures, both the tame and the wild - the way you do. Help us to preserve and not destroy
them. Forgive us for making your love too small. Teach us to act with humility, grace, and mercy as
we seek to make things right.
Words of Assurance:
All the Lord’s paths are loving and faithful for those who keep God’s covenant and laws.
Celebration of Communion
Songs: It is a Great Thing to Serve the Lord
Joy Overflows My Heart
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promise.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (20th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (21st) at 7 pm at the church.
- Evangelism workshop: Holyrood Mennonite Church will be hosting an evangelism workshop, led by Tim
Chesterton, the minister at St. Margaret’s Anglican Church, on Saturday, March 3, 10-4 PM. There is no cost,
and lunch will be provided. The title of Tim’s workshop is “How to Relax and Enjoy Evangelism.” Everyone is
warmly encouraged to attend, even if the idea of sharing your faith is rather frightening!
- Please pray for Gordon and Wendy Baergen as they travel on a CPI Learning Tour to Honduras. Pray for their
safety as they travel in a country currently experiencing political upheaval.
- Pray for Guenther’s friend Margaret as she transitions to a care center.
- Please pray for Antoinette Wallace, as her cousin has died in Liberia.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- North Edmonton Ministry: You are invited for a special two-part Coffee and Conversation regarding the power
of Christian-Muslim interfaith encounter. Dr. David Goa will facilitate both sessions in which we will be learning
about the experiences of the monks of Algeria during the Civil War in the 1990's. On February 20, we will be
watching the 2 hour award-winning French movie (with English subtitles), Of Gods and Men, which focuses on
the discernment process to stay in spite of imminent danger. On February 27 we will focus on the book,
Christian de Chergé: A Theology of Hope, which is about the leader of the Algerian monastery, portrayed in the
movie. Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m. at Lendrum Church - 11210-59 Avenue. All are welcome!
- Mennonite Catholic Dialogue: A group of Mennonites and Roman Catholics meets regularly for conversations
concerning our faith traditions and common goals. You are invited to join the dialogue on Feb 23 at 7 pm at the
Lendrum Church (11210 59 Ave). Come and hear how these meetings have impacted the people who have
walked this journey together. Refreshments will be served. For more information contact Ike Glick.
- Registration for the MCA AGM is now open. The assembly is March 16-17 at Lethbridge Mennonite Church.
Below is the link for online registration. Printed copies are also available. Billeting deadline is March 1. Please
contact Joani Neufeldt with questions firstname.lastname@example.org. Go to www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca to register.
- SAVE THE DATE for the annual (and fabulous) MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 8-10, 2018 at
the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs, Associate Professor of
Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Registration will open April
1st at mcawomen.ca Hope to see you there!
- Missions Fest Alberta: Our 24th Annual Conference will be held February 23 to 25 at West Edmonton Christian
Assembly in Edmonton. Theme: " Do you want The King to come? …then finish The Job!" See www.mfest.ab.ca
for more information. You will be challenged to “Find Your Purpose; Make a Difference.”
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- Uprooted 2018 applications are now online! Apply by March 16. Travel to Mexico this May with other young
adults to learn about migration & peacebuilding. Visit mccab.ca/uprooted for more info & to apply. Questions?
Contact Carol at 403-275-6935 or email@example.com
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and it's partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.8 FTE) Thrift Shop Coordinator. For more information
contact Iliana at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
- Lent at Home: Download materials for Lent from commonword.ca that partner with the liturgy followed in our
Lenten worship Services. The topic this year "Between Me & You" explores the idea of covenants, our
relationships with God, others and creation.
NEXT SUNDAY (25th)
- Speaker: Joanne De Jong
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature: Helena
- Sunday School Teacher: Esther
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Ushers: Thomas, Eunice
- Food Bank (27th) Host(s): Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.