|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Donna Entz
Worship Leader: Sue
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
December 31, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Yes! We give thanks and rejoice!
All: We will praise the Lord from the heavens, from the heights, and with the angels!
Leader: We praise the Lord with the sun and moon! We praise the Creator of the shining stars!
All: Fire and hail! Snow and frost! Mountains and hills! Fruit trees and cedars!
Leader: Young men and women alike! Children and the aged ones too! Let us praise the name of the
All: Praise the Lord!
Leader: Yes! Let all things be new.
Lighting of Advent Candle
Songs: Insert - Glory Be to God in the Highest
Joy Overflows My Heart
It is Raining All Around Me
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
No Sunday School today
Share & Prayer
Song: What Shall I Render to You, Oh God!
Video: Presentation in the Temple
Meditation: “Simeon’s Message to Us” ~ Donna Entz
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
O God, the waiting is over, the time has come: you dwell among us! We marvel at the
mystery of your birth. We are filled and guided by the Spirit as you open our eyes, our
hearts, and our arms to receive you. Yes, we say, and yet we confess that instead of being
drawn beyond our knowing, into the call of your infinite light, we examine your coming
within the boundaries of our understanding. We confess that instead of marveling at the
vastness of your mercy, instead of rejoicing with Simeon and Anna, instead of allowing your
Spirit to move within and among us, we resist the mystery of your presence. We confess our
struggle to step forth with vulnerability, honesty, courage, dreams, hope, and celebration
emanating from the depth of our hearts. Forgive us.
(Pause for Silence)
Words of Assurance:
Leader: O God, Emmanuel, in Jesus, the Christ, you have come among us. You have given us life, and
we are restored.
Song: Great Things He Has Done
- TONIGHT!! New Year Eve Service: You are welcome to bring in the New Year Africanstyle, with praise,
testimonies and prayer. The service will begin tonight at 9 pm and end after midnight. Come and join us, and
ring in 2018!
- Food Bank: Tuesday (2nd) Hosts: Diane, Doreen; Set up:
- Attention seniors - the MCC Thrift Shop needs donations of furniture and housewares. Often kids of parents
who live in seniors residences don’t want their stuff. If you live in a seniors residence and would be willing to
arrange to put up a poster to advertise for this, please contact Gordon Baergen or Margot Brunn.
- Pray for our church as we continue the selection process for new elders.
- Please continue to pray for Helena’s co-worker, Diana.
- Weekend Philosopher starts January 13th at 9:30 am at Lendrum MB Church. Free events occur over seven
Saturdays and includes breakfast, a guest speaker, and a discussion related to Beliefs and Faith. In conjunction
with this series, Lendrum’s annual Study Conference will be held from January 19-21st with guest speaker,
Ryan Dueck, pastor of Lethbridge Mennonite Church. See the bulletin board for more information.
- Snowcamp is coming! Jr High Snowcamp for grades 7-9 will be on January 12-14 and Sr High Snowcamp for
grades 10-12 will be on February 23-25. Online registration can be found at www.campvalaqua.com Contact
the camp office (403-337-2510 email@example.com) if you have questions.
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 15 -17, 2018 - Students from across Canada will gather in Ottawa to
learn about Palestine and Israel with politicians and civil society advocates. Visit
mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar to register before Jan 19, 2018. Travel subsidies are available - contact
Carol at MCC Alberta for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-275-6935.
- The Mennonite Disaster Service All-Unit Meeting is being hosted by Region 5 (Canada) from February
9-10, 2018 in Winkler, MB. This event is open to all who are interested in the work of MDS. For more
information or to register for the event see our website mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting or call our
Winnipeg office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Encourage winter reading! CommonWord can send you 12 different books on loan for a 6-week period – at
no cost.? This Cheaper by the Dozen program is a great way to augment your congregational library, inspire a
church committee, or profile a worship or educational theme.? For more information, see
- Consider a year-end gift to Mennonite Church Alberta (MCA). The work and mission of MCA has continued
strongly throughout the year, but is in need of your support to meet this year’s budget. You can donate online
- New Way of Giving to MC Canada: Starting January 1, local congregations and individuals will send MC
Canada donations through MC Alberta. The delegates at the MC Canada Special Assembly in October approved a
new structure for the national church. The new structure included an updated financial model where the five
regional churches will fund the national church.
- Fantastic news! Bill C-262, the Indigenous Human Rights Bill, was endorsed by the ruling Liberal party at
second reading on December 5, 2017. After a 3rd Reading, and final, it can be brought to the Senate for Royal
Assent. MP Romeo Saganash expresses his sincere gratitude to our Mennonite community for all the work
we’ve done to get things this far. We’re encouraged to keep sending the free Walk the Talk postcards
(www.commonword.ca/go/1283) to all MPs, encouraging them to stand up for justice and reconciliation.
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.