|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: CJ
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Helena, Ike
Ushers: Roland, Eunice
December 3, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Awake! The invitation to carry light comes from the God of trembling mountains and shaking
All: O God, your expectations terrify us. How can our small selves hold your blazing presence?
(Pause for Silence)
Leader: Quiet our questioning souls.
All: Lead us beyond our resistance. Let it be.
Lighting of Advent Candle
Songs: HWB 174- Bless'd be the God I'd Israel
HWB 178- Come, thou long-expected Jesus
STJ 105- Don't be afraid
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Hajah
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 185- Hail to the Lord's anointed
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 64:1-9, Mark 13:24-37 (page 783, 1062) ~ Zach
Meditation: “Let It Be” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Celebration of Communion
Song: HWB 172- O come, O come Immanuel (vs 1,2,3,5,6)
All: O God of power and might, we want you to tear open the heavens and come down, yet we
tremble and quake at the thought. We confess that even though we know your light, we do not like
the dark, empty void where your Spirit hovers over the waters. We shake like leaves in the wind,
fearful of what you might ask, afraid to trust you completely. Caught up in the swirling of our world
we struggle to “let it be.” Forgive us, O God. (Pause for Silence)
Words of Assurance:
Leader: O God, Emmanuel, in Jesus, the Christ, you have come among us. You have given us life, and we are
- Food Bank: Tuesday (5th) Host: Doreen, Diane; Set up:
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (6th) at 7 pm at the church.
- Fall Clothes Line: Instead of a “Christmas mitten tree” this year we will be doing a “fall clothes line” in
support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear for Hope
Mission and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large
- Attention seniors - the MCC Thrift Shop needs donations of furniture and housewares. Often kids of parents
who live in seniors residences don’t want their stuff. If you live in a seniors residence and would be willing to
arrange to put up a poster to advertise for this, please contact Gordon Baergen or Margot Brunn.
- Pray for our church as we continue the selection process for new elders.
- Pray for Antoinette and the issues surrounding her court case. Pray for truth to prevail.
- Pray for the Uganda Mennonite Church, as one of their church shelters was torn down by the government. Pray
for those Christians in Africa who are being persecuted for their faith.
- Donna Entz, Mennonite Church Alberta’s outreach worker with the North Edmonton Ministry will be speaking
about her essay, Sharing the light of Jesus in a multi faith world, with the Coffee and Conversation group at
Lendrum MB Church (11210 - 59 Avenue) this Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. All are welcome!
- Can you fill the gaps? Do you have some time on Tuesdays between now and Christmas? Boxes full of TOYS
need sorting, cleaning and pricing at the MCC Thrift Shop on 34th Avenue. Or, do you have some time on
Monday afternoons between now and Christmas? Saturdays and Mondays are main donation drop-off days.
Please consider being part of a processing team at the MCC Thrift Shop on 34th Avenue. Training is provided.
- MCC THRIFT SHOP NEWS: Come out and support the work of MCC by shopping at our Thrift Shop on
CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAY Saturday December 9th from 9-5 pm. Enjoy live entertainment and Christmas
baking while you shop! 9251-34 Avenue
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337. Printed booklets are also available.
- Christmas at MCC Thrift Shops - Need extra dishes, candles, wrapping paper, cards, decorations, even
roasting pans? Find them at your local MCC Thrift Shop and support MCC!
- The Mennonite Disaster Service All-Unit Meeting is being hosted by Region 5 (Canada) from February
9-10, 2018 in Winkler, MB. This event is open to all who are interested in the work of MDS. For more
information or to register for the event see our website mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting or call our
Winnipeg office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Families with children: Today is the First Sunday of Advent and the beginning of “Yes! Let It Be!” a free,
downloadable guide for family worship from December 3 to January 6. Pick and choose the activities that work
best for your family. Find it at www.anabaptistfaithformation.org. Also available at
NEXT SUNDAY (10th)
2nd Sunday of Advent
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Sunday School Teacher: Dorathy
- Scripture Reader: Ronky
- Ushers: Dave, Thomas
- Greeters: Pearl, Ann
- Food Bank: Tuesday (12th) Host: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.