|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Stewart Combs
Worship Leader: Thomas
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Ann, Helena
Ushers: Brock, Antoinette
December 29, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
One: Oh God, our God, you cry out to us.
Many: Asking, when will you see that I love you, that I have shown you abundance, saved
you with my presence, freed you from the powers of brokenness?
One: When will we see that when bad things happen, you remain?
All: God, what are we waiting for?
Praise be to you, O God! Let all that is within us rejoice and praise you, Lord, for you are goodness
and mercy. Help us to move forward with this confidence, knowing that you reclaim and restore us.
You give us life. Your love for us knows no bounds. Lord God, we put our trust in you as we walk the
paths you have laid out for us.
Songs: STJ 18 - Over my head
STJ 31 - He came down
HWB 195 - It came upon a midnight clear
Responsive Reading: (from Psalm 148)
Leader: Praise the Lord from the heavens;
People: the sun, moon, and stars and all the angels praise the Lord!
Leader: Praise the Lord from the earth;
People: the mountains and the valleys, the creatures above and below; they all praise the
Leader: Young and old, women and men, let us all praise the Lord.
All: Let us all praise the Lord, for the Lord’s name alone is exalted above all. The Lord God is
faithful. Praise the Lord!
Offering: God's love made visible
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Werner
Share & Prayer
Song: PPT - Beauty for Brokenness
Scripture Reading: Luke 2:1-20 (Page 1071)
Meditation: “Good News: Beauty in Brokenness” ~ Stewart Combs
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 209 - Oh how joyfully
Benediction (read in unison):
May we join in praise with all creation, rejoicing at the presence of a God who abides with and among
us. May we recognize the establishment of mercy, across nations and generations, that God has
- Food Bank: Tuesday (31st) CLOSED
- New Year’s Eve Service: Tuesday (31st) There will be a New Year’s Eve service from 9 pm - 12 am. All are
welcome to join us!
- Girl’s Club: Friday (3rd) at 7 pm.
- Our next Women’s Group will be on January 8, 2020! Plan to join us for our first get together of the New
- Faith Exploration Class: Anyone who is considering baptism is invited to a faith exploration class, led by
Pastor Werner, which will begin sometime in the new year. Please let Pastor Werner know if you would like to
be part of the class.
- Thank you for your generosity in donating to our Christmas giving clothesline in support of the Bissell
- Please pray for Eunice, who had to go into the hospital.
- Pray for the numbness in Helena’s hand to be healed.
- Praise that Jean-Felix and Charlotte are now permanent residents. Please pray for them as they continue in the
process to bring their 26 family members, who are all refugees,to Canada.
- Pray for Devin’s auntie, as she received stitches from a fall.
- Pray for Zach and Dorathy, as they are temporarily displaced during renovations due to a
- kitchen fire.
- Pray for Ann’s neighbour, who has cancer.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, George Varghese.
- THE CASPIAN ENSEMBLE (Chris and Louise Friesen family of Saskatoon) presents an Epiphany Concert ON
Thursday, Jan 2, 7:30 pm, at First Mennonite Church, $20 adults / $10 students. "Music for a New King and a
New Year." Poster on the bulletin board.
- One Conference (formerly Break Forth One) is happening again this year January 17 - 18 at the Edmonton
Convention Centre. Speakers this year are: John Mark Comer, Danielle Strickland, Darrell Johnson, Mark Clark,
Jo Saxton, Dr. Caroline Leaf, Preston Sprinkle and Nathan Foster. Worship will be led by Tim Hughes, Worship
Central and Amanda Lindsey Cook. Set a good trajectory for your spiritual growth in 2020. Register at
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337.
- The Great Winter Warm-Up - One day. Multiple locations. Thousands of stitches of hope and warmth. Help us
touch the lives of people in need while celebrating MCC’s 100th anniversary. On January 18, 2020 we’re hoping
to collect 6500 comforters to deliver to people affected by conflict and disaster around the world. Visit
https://mcccanada.ca/centennial/great-winter-warm-up for more details or to find an event near you. If there
isn’t one near you, why not host one? Please contact Linda at 403-275-6935 or email@example.com.
- Snowcamp is coming! Youth in grades 7-12 are invited to join us for a weekend of food, fellowship, and
broomball on January 10-12. Registration forms are available at campvalaqua.com. Have questions? Email:
- Year-end donations: As you plan your year-end giving, please keep Mennonite Church Alberta in mind. To
meet budget, $164,000 still needs to be raised. Short-fall areas include Camp Valaqua (campership, operation,
facility), North Edmonton Ministry, International Witness, and MCA operating expenses.
NEXT SUNDAY (5th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Thomas
- Music: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Werner
- Scripture Reader: Tarnisha
- Food Bank (7th): Host(s) Ben, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.