|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Grace, Pearl
Ushers: Brock, Garth
December 24, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Yes! The invitation to carry Light comes to each of us, no matter who we are.
All: O God, you choose to dwell within us. You promise to move about with us until we find
our rest in you.
Leader: Your call seems risky; saying yes takes away our breath.
All: Yet we know your faithfulness and steadfast love endures forever.
Leader: You are our strength.
All: Yes! Let it be now.
Lighting of Advent Candle
Songs: HWB 212 - O Come all ye faithful
HWB 174 - Blessed be the God of Israel
HWB 172 - O come, O come Immanuel
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
No Sunday School today
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 189 - To us a child is born
Scripture Reading: Psalm 89:1-4, Luke 1:26-38 (page 623, 1070)
Meditation: “Let It Be Now” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
All: O God of blessing and joy, your favour rests upon us, and our souls magnify you. We
sing of your steadfast love and proclaim your faithfulness. We confess we often lack
complete trust, walking in our own strength, building our own houses instead of joining you
in turning ruins into abundance. We are terrified and overcome by fear, wondering, “How
will we know?” and pondering, “How can this be?” We are afraid to claim and proclaim that
nothing is impossible when your power overshadows us, when your Spirit comes upon us.
We find it hard to let go and say, “Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me
according to your word.” Forgive us.
(Pause for Silence)
Words of Assurance:
Leader: O God, Emmanuel, in Jesus, the Christ, you have come among us. You have given us life, and
we are restored.
Song: HWB 209 - O how joyfully
- Christmas Eve Service: TODAY, Sunday (24th) at 6:30 pm at the church. Please bring a tray of finger foods to
share following the service.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (26th) CLOSED
- New Years Eve Service: All are welcome to bring in the New Year African style, with praise, testimonies and
prayer. The service will begin at 9 pm and end after midnight.
- Fall Clothes Line: A big thank you to all who brought in items to hang on our Fall Clothes Line.
- Attention seniors - the MCC Thrift Shop needs donations of furniture and housewares. Often kids of parents
who live in seniors residences don’t want their stuff. If you live in a seniors residence and would be willing to
arrange to put up a poster to advertise for this, please contact Gordon Baergen or Margot Brunn.
- Pray for our church as we continue the selection process for new elders.
- Please continue to pray for Helena’s co-worker, Diana.
- Snowcamp is coming! Jr High Snowcamp for grades 7-9 will be on January 12-14 and Sr High Snowcamp for
grades 10-12 will be on February 23-25. Online registration can be found at www.campvalaqua.com Contact
the camp office (403-337-2510 firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337. Printed booklets are also available.
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 15 -17, 2018 - Students from across Canada will gather in Ottawa to
learn about Palestine and Israel with politicians and civil society advocates. Visit
mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar to register before Jan 19, 2018. Travel subsidies are available - contact
Carol at MCC Alberta for more information email@example.com or 403-275-6935.
- The Mennonite Disaster Service All-Unit Meeting is being hosted by Region 5 (Canada) from February
9-10, 2018 in Winkler, MB. This event is open to all who are interested in the work of MDS. For more
information or to register for the event see our website mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting or call our
Winnipeg office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Encourage winter reading! CommonWord can send you 12 different books on loan for a 6-week period – at
no cost.? This Cheaper by the Dozen program is a great way to augment your congregational library, inspire a
church committee, or profile a worship or educational theme.? For more information, see
- Consider a year-end gift to Mennonite Church Alberta (MCA). The work and mission of MCA has continued
strongly throughout the year, but is in need of your support to meet this year’s budget. You can donate online
- New Way of Giving to MC Canada: Starting January 1, local congregations and individuals will send MC
Canada donations through MC Alberta. The delegates at the MC Canada Special Assembly in October approved a
new structure for the national church. The new structure included an updated financial model where the five
regional churches will fund the national church.
- Fantastic news! Bill C-262, the Indigenous Human Rights Bill, was endorsed by the ruling Liberal party at
second reading on December 5, 2017. After a 3rd Reading, and final, it can be brought to the Senate for Royal
Assent. MP Romeo Saganash expresses his sincere gratitude to our Mennonite community for all the work
we’ve done to get things this far. We’re encouraged to keep sending the free Walk the Talk postcards
(www.commonword.ca/go/1283) to all MPs, encouraging them to stand up for justice and reconciliation.
NEXT SUNDAY (31st)
- Speaker: Donna Entz
- Worship Leader: Sue
- Music Team: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
- Sunday School Teacher: No Sunday School
- Food Bank: Tuesday (2nd) Host(s): Diane, Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.