|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Tim Wiebe-Neufeld
Worship Leader: Dorathy
Music: Irene, Rabea
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Ron, Antoinette
December 17, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Awake! The invitation to carry light comes from the God of restoration.
All: O God, you amaze us with your promise to build up the ancient ruins. You say you will
replace the ashes of the past with garlands of beauty. Your bold vision dazzles our doubting
(Pause for Silence)
Leader: Quiet our questions.
All: Lead us beyond our fears, and guide us on the path to peace.
Leader: Let it be whole.
Lighting of Advent Candle
Songs: HWB 178 - Come, thou long-expected Jesus
HWB 186 - Fling wide the door
HWB 172 - O come, O come, Emmanuel
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Sunday School is dismissed for ages 4 - Grade 4 ~ Teacher: Esther
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 176 - Comfort, comfort, O my people
Song: Theresa Powoe
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11; Matthew 22:34-40 (page 780, 1033)
Meditation: Tim Wiebe-Neufeld
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
All: O God of peace, your justice wells up like a spring, bringing dreams, laughter, and
wholeness to the world. We confess we so often stifle your Spirit. We are afraid to claim
that you anointed us to carry your upside-down vision into our broken world, where the
lowly are trampled upon, the hungry go away empty, the rich increase in power and might.
We confess we lack the courage to build up and repair what we have broken, imprisoned,
and oppressed. Forgive us when we do not catch your vision. Lead us beyond our fears, and
guide us on the path to peace.
(Pause for Silence)
Words of Assurance:
Leader: O God, Emmanuel, in Jesus, the Christ, you have come among us. You have given us life and
we are restored.
Song: HWB 411 - I bind my heart
- Food Bank: Tuesday (19th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- You are invited to celebrate with Joyce Baergen as she receives the Canada 150 Volunteer Service Medallion
this Tuesday (19th) at the Kingsway Legion (Royal Canadian Legion Branch 175) 14339 50 St. from 6 - 9 pm.
- Christmas Caroling: This year we will be joining with our friends from the First Church of God to do some
Christmas Caroling in the Holyrood neighbourhood. Everyone is invited and welcome! We will meet at
Holyrood Mennonite at 7 PM on Saturday evening, December 23, and then walk and sing throughout the
- Christmas Eve Service: Saturday (24th) at 6:30 pm at the church. Please bring a tray of finger foods to share
following the service.
- Fall Clothes Line: Instead of a “Christmas mitten tree” this year we will be doing a “fall clothes line” in
support of Hope Mission. The congregation is encouraged to donate gifts of socks and underwear for Hope
Mission and hang them on our Fall Clothes Line in the foyer. Of particular need are men’s medium and large
- Attention seniors - the MCC Thrift Shop needs donations of furniture and housewares. Often kids of parents
who live in seniors residences don’t want their stuff. If you live in a seniors residence and would be willing to
arrange to put up a poster to advertise for this, please contact Gordon Baergen or Margot Brunn.
- Pray for our church as we continue the selection process for new elders.
- Please continue to pray for Helena’s co-worker, Diana.
- Shadow and Light - a service acknowledging and supporting people who may be experiencing grief and loss at
Christmas instead of joy - Wednesday December 20 at 7 pm at First Mennonite Church (3650 - 91 St)
- Snowcamp is coming! Jr High Snowcamp for grades 7-9 will be on January 12-14 and Sr High Snowcamp for
grades 10-12 will be on February 23-25. Online registration can be found at www.campvalaqua.com Contact
the camp office (403-337-2510 email@example.com) if you have questions.
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337. Printed booklets are also available.
- Christmas at MCC Thrift Shops - Need extra dishes, candles, wrapping paper, cards, decorations, even
roasting pans? Find them at your local MCC Thrift Shop!
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 15 -17, 2018 - Students from across Canada will gather in Ottawa to
learn about Palestine and Israel with politicians and civil society advocates. Visit
mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar to register before Jan 19, 2018. Travel subsidies are available - contact
Carol at MCC Alberta for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-275-6935.
- The Mennonite Disaster Service All-Unit Meeting is being hosted by Region 5 (Canada) from February
9-10, 2018 in Winkler, MB. This event is open to all who are interested in the work of MDS. For more
information or to register for the event see our website mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting or call our
Winnipeg office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Consider a year-end gift to Mennonite Church Alberta (MCA). The work and mission of MCA has continued
strongly throughout the year, but is in need of your support to meet this year’s budget. You can donate online
- New Way of Giving to MC Canada: Starting January 1, local congregations and individuals will send MC
Canada donations through MC Alberta. The delegates at the MC Canada Special Assembly in October approved a
new structure for the national church. The new structure included an updated financial model where the five
regional churches will fund the national church.
- Fantastic news! Bill C-262, the Indigenous Human Rights Bill, was endorsed by the ruling Liberal party at
second reading on December 5, 2017. After a 3rd Reading, and final, it can be brought to the Senate for Royal
Assent. MP Romeo Saganash expresses his sincere gratitude to our Mennonite community for all the work
we’ve done to get things this far. We’re encouraged to keep sending the free Walk the Talk postcards
(www.commonword.ca/go/1283) to all MPs, encouraging them to stand up for justice and reconciliation.
NEXT SUNDAY (24th)
4rd Sunday of Advent ~ Christmas Eve
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Jackson
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Ushers: Brock, Garth
- Greeters: Grace, Faye
- Sunday School Teacher: No Sunday School
- Food Bank: Tuesday (26th) CLOSED
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.