|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jake Froese
Worship Leader: Ed
Music: Ruth, Emily
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Dave, Thomas
December 16, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 178 - Come, thou long expected Jesus
HWB 200 - Where is this stupendous stranger
HWB 209 - Oh, how joyfully
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Ruth
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 183 - On Jordan's banks the Baptist's cry
Scripture Reading: Philippians 4:4-7, Isaiah 12:2-6 (Page 1232, 726) ~ Zipporah, Ed
Meditation: "Many Exhortations" ~ Jake Froese
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 11 - Sweet hour of Prayer
- Food Bank: Tuesday (18th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up: Dave, Guenther
- Elder’s Meeting: Friday (21st) at 6 pm
- Christmas Eve Service: Please join us for the Christmas Eve Service on December 24th at 6:30 pm. Please
bring finger foods to share. The Christmas Eve offering will be split 3/4 to Christian Peacekeepers International
and 1/4 to the Music Lesson Fund.
- There will be no Adult Sunday School on December 23rd, 30th, or January 6th. The Sunday School Class will
resume on January 13th.
- There will be a Coffee Time after church on January 13th to welcome back Werner and Joanne from their
Short Term Mission Assignment.
- Potluck: On January 27th, we will be having a potluck meal together with the Sudanese Church, Ethiopian
Church, and the Zimbabwean Church to celebrate Werner and Joanne's return from their Short Term Mission
Assignment to Ethiopia. Werner and Joanne will be sharing about their experiences in Ethiopia, as well. Please
bring extra food to share with everyone.
- Helena is requesting your help with an upcoming project. If you identify with a language other than
English, please e mail or text the following saying in your language. "Peace be with you.” I would like everyone
to be represented. Thank you. Helena: firstname.lastname@example.org 780-901-3142
- There is a sign up sheet for visiting our seniors. If you are able to visit please initial it on the approximate
date. Let’s let our precious senior members know that they are not forgotten and that they are an important
part of our Holyrood family.
- Pray for Dorathy to find a job that would give her Sundays off, so she could worship with us.
- Pray for Esther’s husband for his work situation.
- Remember Werner and Joanne in prayer in their continued interactions with students, mentoring and teaching at
Meserete Kristos College. May the students be inspired by teaching on Anabaptism and encouraged by Werner
and Joanne's commitment to demonstrating God’s love through relationship building. The new women's
dormitory is open and is ready to receive up to 200 women. Pray the Lord would fill those spaces. (Werner will
return to the office in early January.)
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese.
- Snow Camp: "Don't Stop Believing" Jan 11-13 Jr & Sr High combined event (Grades 7-12)
- Camp Valaqua is in need of some used vehicles: a 4x4 truck that can handle camp life & a reliable mini van for
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a part-time (0.7 FTE) Shop Assistant for the Edmonton Thrift Shop. For
more information contact Iliana at email@example.com. To view full job description and to apply, please visit
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337. Printed booklets are also available.
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 14 -16, 2019, People on the move: Human rights and global migration.
Visit mcccanada.ca/ottawa-student-seminar for more information. Travel subsidies are available - contact Carol
at MCC Alberta to apply firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-275-6935.
- MCC Alberta Board is seeking new Board Members. If you want to make a difference in lives around the world
and have a passion for the work God is doing through MCC, contact Barb Heidebrecht at
email@example.com for further information. firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-275-6935.
- Mennonite Mutual Insurance is pleased to announce the appointment of Sandra van Raalten, MA, CIP, as the
CEO & General Manager of the company, effective January 14, 2019. Sandra comes to MMI with a wealth of
insurance, management and church leadership experience. Sandra will work with outgoing CEO, Ken Ritchie,
during a transition period ending with his retirement on April 30, 2019. If you would like more information about
Sandra, or the work of MMI, please refer to your church’s MMI Representative, or www.mmiab.ca
- Young Adults. It’s never too early to plan for your further education in September of 2019. Do you know that
both Columbia Bible College in Abbotsford and Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg offer full tuition
assistance? Check out the Sheep & Goats MDS Service Scholarship/Bursary at each of the schools’ Financial Aid
page. Application deadline is end of January 2019.
- Consider giving an AMBS six-week interactive online short course as a Christmas gift (or a joint gift)!
Upcoming options are Understanding Anabaptist Approaches to Scripture with Loren Johns, Ph.D., and Biblical
Foundations for Creation Care with Ben Ollenburger, Ph.D. Both courses are noncredit and run Jan. 9 – Feb. 19,
2019. Cost: $200 before Dec. 19; $250 after. CEUs available. ambs.edu/shortcourses
NEXT SUNDAY (23rd)
- Speaker: Ike Glick
- Worship Leader: Sue
- Music Team: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Scripture Reader: Zach
- Children’s Feature: Helena C
- Greeters: Grace, Faye
- Ushers: Garth, Brock
- Food Bank (25th): Closed
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.