|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Sue
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ike, Millie
Ushers: Carol, Brock
December 15, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
One: Oh God, my God, I cry out to you.
Many: Asking, when will I start rejoicing that you are coming? Will I trust your faithfulness
to your creation?
One: Can I be patient enough to trust in your time, instead of my own?
All: God, what am I waiting for?
God of creation, we hear your call to rejoice and to be redeemed, your call for awakening and action.
You continue to wait patiently for us and to call us beloved, yet still, sometimes, God, we are afraid.
Help us in our fear and unbelief. God, we know you are always present and ever faithful; help us to
put our trust in you.
Songs: HWB 190 - 'Twas in the moon of wintertime
HWB 201 - Hark! the herald angels sing
HWB 200 - Where is this stupendous stranger
Responsive Reading: (from Isaiah 35:1-10)
Leader: The Lord our God will come and save us.
People: We will let go of our fears.
Leader: God will strengthen the weak hands and make firm the feeble knees.
People: We will find our strength in the Lord.
Leader: The redeemed shall walk in the way of the Lord.
All: We shall see the glory of the Lord, the majesty of our God!
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Werner, Joyce
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 206 - Infant holy, infant lowly
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 35:1-10, Matt 11:2-11 (Page 749, 1018) ~ Zach
Meditation: “Kept Waiting by Fear” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
A Confession Haiku:
The dark of my truth
Is suspicion without fact
Forgive my fearing
Song: HWB 212 - O come, all ye faithful
Benediction (read in unison):
May we turn from the despair that narrates our own lives and the world in which we live. May we
remember who God is and the promise of faithfulness that God has made to creation.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (17th) Host(s): Doreen, Florence
- Girl’s Club: Friday (20th) at 7 pm.
- Christmas Eve Service: Tuesday (24th) at 6:30 pm. All are welcome to our annual Christmas Eve service!
- New Year’s Eve Service: There will be a New Year’s Eve service from 9 pm - 12 am. More details will be
announced. Plan to join us!
- Congratulations!! Praise God for the birth of a healthy baby girl, Bintu Kumba Chokpelleh, to Joseph and
Esther, on December 1.
- Faith Exploration Class: Anyone who is considering baptism is invited to a faith exploration class, led by
Pastor Werner, which will begin sometime in the new year. Please let Pastor Werner know if you would like to
be part of the class.
- School Kits for developing countries are needed. The average price per kit is $20. Contents for the kits
will be purchased and assembled by MCC in Calgary and sent out. Please give generously! Identify your cash or
cheque re: MCC School Kits. Thank you! Ruth Toews
- Christmas Giving: This year we are collecting items for the Bissell Centre as our annual Christmas giving
project. We request warm socks, thermal underwear, and warm gloves, which can be placed in our basket. The
items can be new or gently used.
- Pray for Zach and Dorathy, as they are temporarily displaced during renovations due to a kitchen fire.
- Pray for Devin’s auntie, as she received stitches from a fall.
- Pray for Ann’s neighbour, who has cancer.
- Please pray for Werner’s mother, as she has Alzheimer’s.
- Pray for Victoria’s grandmother who has cancer.
- Please pray for Ginny and Ray Brubaker, and their family.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, George Varghese.
- It is very sad news to announce the death of Kang Simon Hoth Beal, son of Pastor Simon Hoth Beal of the South
Sudanese Mennonite Church in Gambella, Ethiopia and Refugees Camps. The cause of his sudden death is
unknown. Signs of sickness, such as fever, were not prevalent prior to his passing on December 10, 2019.
Please pray for the comfort of Pastor Simon Hoth Beal’s family.
- TODAY!! A Christmas Choral Service, entitled "The Word Was Made Flesh", will be presented by the Lendrum
Church Community Choir on Sunday, December 15 at 7:00 pm. Come and enjoy both familiar and new songs
for the season. Refreshments will follow the program. (11210 - 59 Avenue)
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337.
- The Great Winter Warm-Up - One day. Multiple locations. Thousands of stitches of hope and warmth. Help us
touch the lives of people in need while celebrating MCC’s 100th anniversary. On January 18, 2020 we’re hoping
to collect 6500 comforters to deliver to people affected by conflict and disaster around the world. Visit
https://mcccanada.ca/centennial/great-winter-warm-up for more details or to find an event near you. If there
isn’t one near you, why not host one? Please contact Linda at 403-275-6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snowcamp is coming! Youth in grades 7-12 are invited to join us for a weekend of food, fellowship, and
broomball on January 10-12. Registration forms are available at campvalaqua.com. Have questions? Email:
- Year-end donations: As you plan your year-end giving, please keep Mennonite Church Alberta in mind. To
meet budget, $164,000 still needs to be raised. Short-fall areas include Camp Valaqua (campership, operation,
facility), North Edmonton Ministry, International Witness, and MCA operating expenses.
NEXT SUNDAY (22nd)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Ike
- Music: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Joyce
- Scripture Reader: Edward
- Greeters: Grace, Doreen
- Ushers: Garth, Brock
- Food Bank (24th): CLOSED
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.