|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Michael Buttrey
Worship Leader: Sue
Music: Irene Buttrey
|Greeters: Grace, Helena
Ushers: Eunice, Thomas
August 6, 2017
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 51 - Let the Whole Creation Cry
HWB 521 - Come, Thou Fount
HWB 327 - Great is Thy Faithfulness
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
There is no Children’s Sunday School for the summer
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 499 - Lord, Speak to Me
Scripture Reading: Acts 17:16-34 (page 1161)
Meditation: Michael Buttrey
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 398 - I Love to Tell The Story
- Parents of children: Boxes are available in the sound room for activities and colouring sheets for your children
to use during the worship service. Please take home all sheets that you complete.
- Teachers Needed! Sunday School for the children will resume on September 10th. Three or four more
teachers are needed to teach these children. If you are interested in this ministry, please let Joyce know by
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (8th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. You are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (8th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- NEXT SUNDAY! Church Wedding Shower for Ruthiee De Jong and Daniel Moniz: We will have a potluck
after church on Sunday, August 13th. All are welcome to come and celebrate!
- Pastoral Vacation: Please be aware that Pastor Werner will be on holidays from August 13 to September 4.
- On Monday July 17 Dan Jack, moderator of MC Alberta, passed away after experiencing a sudden medical
emergency. He had spent the weekend in hospital and on life support. Please keep his wife Marguerite and the
rest of his family in prayer. The funeral service was on July 28.
- Pray for traveling mercies for Thomas as he is in Liberia.
- Pray for Richard as his grandfather has passed away.
- Pray for justice for Ann’s brother, Vince.
- Praise God for a successful surgery for Aaron, who is now back at work. Pray for a full recovery.
- Pray God’s comfort for Eunice and her family, as she mourns her husband Thomas.
- Pray for Esther and her family, as her niece in Liberia died.
- Praise God that Norm Nicholson has recovered health and is now back in Burkina Faso.
- Souls: A play by Aksam Alyousef is happening at Fringe Festival in Edmonton. Souls is a play about the
conflict in Palestine. For more details and dates see the poster on the bullet board or visit:
- Golf for MCC in Tofield. Support MCC's work in Food projects. More info and registration at
mccab.ca/golf-tofield. Early bird registration: by Aug 15 for a chance to win a Fitbit!
- MCC Alberta is inviting applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) Manager for the Edmonton Thrift Shop.
Application deadline is Sept 11. For more information contact Iliana at email@example.com. To view full job
description and to apply, please visit bit.ly/EdmontonMCCThrift
- MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting: Sept 30, 2017 - to be hosted at the Springridge Mennonite Church in
Pincher Creek. Guest speaker Alex Awad. Coffee at 9:30 am, meeting to start at 10 am. Everyone Welcome!
- Peace Bursary: MCC Alberta is now accepting applications for the annual Peace Bursary. Five bursaries ($300
each) are available for post-secondary students interested in peacebuilding. Visit mccab.ca/peace-bursary to
apply online! Deadline: Aug. 25
- Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) receiving financial donations for forest fires in British Columbia. People in
BC have already lost houses to the fires and we are planning for MDS volunteers to help in the recovery phase
of this disaster. For further updates on the MDS response and financial donations go to
https://mds.mennonite.net/ or call the MDS office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Chew on This! Plans are underway for the 5th annual Chew on This! event, organized by Citizens for Public
Justice and the Dignity for All campaign. Each year, volunteers go out to their communities on October 17, the
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, to hand out Chew on This! lunch bags, containing a food item,
a magnet, and a postcard directed to the federal government. This year, Chew on This! will focus on making
sure the federal government has heard the voices of people calling for a comprehensive national strategy
following on consultations for the Canadian Poverty Reduction Strategy. To organize a Chew on This! event or
for more information, go to dignityforall.ca/chew-on-this or contact Darlene O’Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Future Directions Update: Working Group Reports on various proposed re-organized ministries of MC Canada
and Area Churches are now available at http://futuredirectionsmc.ca/documents/
- Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the October 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in
- New from CMU Press - Approaching the Divine: Signs and Symbols of the Christian Faith by Margaret
Loewen Reimer. The meaning behind church liturgical practices and art forms, written from a Mennonite
- There are at least 10 great reasons to become a Ride for Refuge Team Captain on Saturday, Sept. 30. “Like”
the Mennonite Church Canada Facebook page to find out why this family-friendly cycling/walking fundraiser is a
fun way to do good in support of displaced, vulnerable and exploited people served by MC Canada Witness.
Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at
email@example.com or (226) 747-1833.
NEXT SUNDAY (13th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: CJ
- Music Team: Ruth, Emily
- Children’s Feature: Ruth
- Scripture Reader: Helena
- Sound: Brian
- Ushers: Dave, Ron
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Food Bank: Tuesday (15th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.