|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Jackson
Music: African Team
|Greeters: Doreen, Helena
Ushers: Brock, Carol
April 14, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship: (based on Psalm 63 and 118)
Leader: O God, you are our God. We seek you.
People: Our souls thirst for you as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Leader: We thank you for being our salvation, for being our chief cornerstone.
People: We bless you as we bind the festal procession with branches, up to the horns of the altar
All: O God, you satisfy our souls as with a rich feast. In the shadow of your wings, we sing for joy,
and you uphold us.
Placement of Visual Element
Songs: Insert - Great Things He Has Done
Joy Overflows my Heart
Praising the Lord Always
Glory be to God in the Highest
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Joyce
Share & Prayer
Song: You are the Lifter of my Hands
Scripture Reading: Luke 19:28-40, Philippians 2:5-11 (Page 1099, 1230) ~ Tarnisha
Meditation: "Singing Stones" ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Confession and Reconciliation:
Leader: (from Philippians 2:5-11) “Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in
the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the
form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and
became obedient to the point of death - even death on a cross. Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave
him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and
under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
Who will confess Jesus as Lord today?
Designated Response: (designated person in the congregation will stand and respond) I will confess Jesus and
Confessional Response: Teddy Abera
Leader: We are all invited to confess Jesus as Lord. Let us bring ourselves to God in prayer.
All: Living God, give us the courage to confess your Son, Jesus, as our Lord. When others vie for our
loyalty, we will confess Jesus as Lord.
Leader: When earthly powers claim supremacy (pause), we will confess Jesus as Lord. When our souls hunger
for reality and truth (pause), we will confess Jesus as Lord.
All: In the morning and in the evening, we will confess Jesus as Lord.
Leader: Our generous God has provided for us.
Song: My Jesus Promised He Will Never Fail
The Lord Will Bless Someone Today
- Food Bank: Tuesday (16th) - Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- Elders Meeting: Tuesday (16th) at 6 pm.
- Prayer meeting and Bible study: Wednesday (17th) at 7 pm in the church basement. Our weekly meeting will
continue through the month of April. All are welcome!
- During Passion Week, all are invited to the Inter-Mennonite worship services at Lendrum Mennonite Church
(11210 – 59 Avenue).
~ Maundy Thursday (April 18) at 8pm we join together for a Tenebrae service of communion, readings, and
hymns. On Thursday, we call to mind Jesus’ difficult final moments with his friends.
~ Good Friday (April 19) at 10:30 am - A service of readings, hymns, and a message by Pastor Paul Cumin
(Lendrum Mennonite Church). On Friday, we reflect on Jesus’ experience of abandonment on the cross.
- Communion: We will be celebrating communion together next Sunday as part of our Easter Sunday
celebration. Please take time this week to prepare your heart.
- Pray for God’s direction during the upcoming election. Pray for our leaders.
- Please pray for Joanne as she is in Liberia. She returns April 23.
- Please pray for Loren Entz, husband to Donna of NEM. He was hospitalized twice and most recently with
balance issues, diagnosed as a small stroke.
- Pray for Florence as she recovers from her hip replacement surgery.
- Pray for Ruth’s sister Betty as she continues radiation treatment.
- Pray for Arthur from Uganda to find work and to be granted a work visa.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, George Varghese.
- Ten Thousand Villages AGM: Wednesday April 24 at 7 pm, at Lendrum Church 11210 59 Ave. Please bring
$10 to renew your membership and bring along anyone else that is interested in becoming a member.
- Camp Valaqua Work Day May 4, 9-4 : Join us to help get camp ready for summer! Wood splitting, tipi setup,
brush clearing, and cleaning are on the agenda. We'll feed you lunch and provide snacks!
- Welcoming Refugees and Migrants in our Community, May 5. The Social Justice Institute invites members of
Edmonton area faith communities for a one day workshop. Stories from recent refugees and those working
within local community agencies, with practical suggestions and resources to help faith congregations
accompany and support refugees and migrants. For more information, go to www.newman.edu/sji
- REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN for the annual MCA Women's retreat, which will be held June 7-9, at the
beautiful Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Just go to www.mcawomen.ca for registration and retreat
information We are blessed to have Irma Fast-Dueck, Associate Professor of Practical Theology at Canadian
Mennonite University (CMU) as our special speaker on the theme: The Faces of Mary- companion on the
journey. This retreat is always a wonderful time of fellowship with women from many cultures and churches
and a chance to grow in our faith. Would love to see you!
- MCC is responding to Cyclone Idai in Mozambique and Malawi. Cyclone Ida destroyed 90% of Beira, one of
Mozambique's largest cities, and has affected nearly 3 million people in its path. MCC is providing relief kits and
comforters to those affected. In addition to your prayers, we invite you to donate to MCC’s relief fund
- The MCC Sale, Auction and Handmade Market - May 31 & June 1 at Coaldale Sportsplex. Please consider
what you could donate! Quilts, woodwork, pottery, crafts, tickets for a hockey game, or theatre - all proceeds
support MCC. For more information or to register donated items, please visit mccreliefsale.com
- MCC Alberta Learning Tour to UnBQ Sat May 11, Join us for a day of learning about both the trauma and
restoration at the site of the old Blue Quills Indian Residential school. For information about costs, registration
and logistics please contact Jim at 587-225-5784 (preferably text) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT SUNDAY (21st)
Easter Sunday, Communion
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Ed
- Music Team: Gordon’s Team
- Scripture Reader: Mary
- Children’s Feature: Helena C
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Ushers: Eunice, Dave
- Food Bank (23rd): Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set-up:
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.