|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Grace, Faye
Ushers: Garth, Brock
April 1, 2018
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
Leader: To all who weep, and to all who smile, whether with joy or sorrow, welcome. Welcome home
to this house of God. Welcome in the embrace of Christ. Hear and believe the good news, for He is
People: He is risen indeed!
Leader: Praise the Lord, our Jesus lives!
People: Yes, praise the Lord! We will worship God together.
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Puppets
There is no children’s Sunday School this morning
Share & Prayer
Scripture Reading: Acts 10:34-43, John 20:1-18 (Page 1152, 1136) ~ Venisa
Meditation: “Nothing Between Us” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
God of life, in you, death has no power. Because of you, this life is not our final end. Thank you. It
feels good to celebrate new life, yours and ours. It’s spring. We long to throw off the heavy blankets
of winter and bask in the sun. We confess that, just as some folks would like to skip winter, there are
times when we want to skip the whole crucifixion story and jump straight to the resurrection. And yet
there are other times when death feels more real than life. When we see an empty tomb, it is easy to
despair, and it seems futile to hope. We hear stories of people who claim to have seen you alive; we
want to believe, but struggle. Forgive us for not recognizing you, for doubting our fellow believers,
and for trying to hold you back.
Words of Assurance:
The Lord is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation.
Celebration of Communion
We are people of God. We go in God’s love to extend God’s love and live God’s promise.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (3rd) Hosts: Ben, Pearl; Set up:
- Easter Lilies: If you purchased an Easter lily, please take it home today following the service.
- Pray for Joyce’s sister, Doris, who has breast cancer.
- Pray for the restructuring process of Mennonite Church Alberta.
- Pray for Grace, as she recovers from malaria.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to attend church on a regular
basis: Ray and Ginnie Brubaker, Alma Burkholder, Hannah Loewen, George Varghese, Paul White.
- MCC Edmonton Thrift Shop (ETS) is Moving! At the end of July, ETS will have a new home on the west side
of Edmonton, 12343-149 Street. There is a lot to do and we need your help! Renovations will begin in the new
location on April 3 and we welcome all skilled and unskilled volunteer labour. A task list will be made available
to your congregation in the near future so you can sign up, or contact the Board chair, Margot Brunn, for more
- WAHOO!-REGISTRATION IS OPEN - April 1st (TODAY!) for the annual MCA Women's retreat which will be
held June 8-10, 2018 at the Sunnyside Retreat Centre in Sylvan Lake. Our speaker is Rachel Miller Jacobs,
Associate Professor of Congregational Formation at AMBS and the theme will be "Ordinary Forgiveness". Come
relax, laugh, and be strengthened in your walk with Christ and connect with other women from across the
province. Registration is open online at www.mcawomen.ca. All are welcome!
- UNCHOIR II workshop on Saturday, April 7 from 10:00 to noon, at First Mennonite Church. All singers and
want to be singers are invited to this morning workshop facilitated by Donn Dinsmore. All are welcome - its
FREE! Details are on the bulletin board.
- Benefit Concert: You are invited to a CPI benefit concert by Excentrica at 7:00 P.M. on April 22 at the
Lendrum Mennonite Church at 11210-59 Ave. Enjoy good music, good fellowship and good food at the reception
to follow the concert while you support the work of CPI in Honduras in promoting land justice for poor
peasants, and education for students whose schools end in Grade 6.
- Blue Quills University Learning Tour (http://www.bluequills.ca/) : Join a field trip to this unique First
Nations university near St. Paul, Alberta. Learn more about the school's history and its commitment to the
integration of Indigenous and modern ways of knowing. Cost is $75 per adult. Participants will meet Saturday,
May 12 at 8:00 a.m. at the Fort Saskatchewan Safeway plaza @ the corner of Highways 15 and 22, bus to the
site, and return about 5:00 p.m. Please contact Jim Shantz with MCC Alberta (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any
questions or to indicate interest in participating.
- Online Registration is open for Summer 2018 www.campvalaqua.com (403) 637-2510
- MCC Charity Auction and Sale - June 1 & 2 at Didsbury Memorial Complex. Please consider what you could
donate! Quilts, woodwork, pottery, crafts, tickets for a hockey game, or theatre - all proceeds support
international ministries. For more information or to register donated items, please visit mccreliefsale.com
- MCC Learning Tour to Nepal - November 2018 - Learn first-hand about the ministry of MCC and our partners
in Nepal, including the ongoing earthquake response. For more info, visit mccab.ca/lt-nepal
- Grow Hope with MCC Alberta & Canadian Foodgrains Banks (CFGB): Sponsor an acre of land for $300 on
Richard & Esther Goerzen's farm. They will farm the land and donate the proceeds to MCC & CFGB. Learn more
NEXT SUNDAY (8th)
- Speaker: Stewart Combs
- Worship Leader: Sue
- Music Team: African Team
- Children’s Feature: Werner
- Sunday School Teacher: Theresa
- Greeters: Ann, Millie
- Ushers: Antoinette, Thomas
- Scripture Reader:
- Food Bank (10th) Host(s): Ben, Pearl
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.